Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your initial question comparing Pat Robertson to Muslim extremists.
No you didn't. They both believe destruction is deserved by the victim in the name of some savage minded god!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,754,246 times
Pat Robertson is a dangerously deluded individual. How he garners any attention whatsoever with his bizarre statements is beyond rational understanding.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Proverbs 1: 22-33

22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:

30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.

31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil
There you go, a religion based on anger, hatred, and revenge taught right out of the bible!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,828,869 times
Lincoln said pretty much the same as Robertson..

"we know that by His divine law nations, like individuals, are subjected to punishments and chastisements in this world, may we not justly fear that the awful calamity of civil war which now desolates the land may be but a punishment inflicted upon us for our presumptuous sins, to the needful end of our national reformation as a whole people?

We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God.

We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own.

Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us.

It behooves us, then, to humble ourselves before the offended Power. to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness."

Lincoln 1863

Last edited by DraggingCanoe; 01-13-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
"we know that by His divine law nations, like individuals, are subjected to punishments and chastisements in this world, may we not justly fear that the awful calamity of civil war which now desolates the land may be but a punishment inflicted upon us for our presumptuous sins, to the needful end of our national reformation as a whole people?

We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God.

We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own.

Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us.

It behooves us, then, to humble ourselves before the offended Power. to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness."

Lincoln 1863
How do you explain the great wealth and prosperity of the Arab nation?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,476,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No you didn't. They both believe destruction is deserved by the victim in the name of some savage minded god!
Are there any moderate Christians who are going to speak out against this guy? That's what I'd like to know.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,930 times
Yeah.. he said it.. what an idiot! LOL. HE is what is wrong with America today.. that and the idiots that listen to him!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,027,579 times
Quote:
Lincoln said pretty much the same as Robertson..

Lincoln 1863
Lincoln had a lot on his plate - plus his wife was losing her mind after the loss of their son. He needed to blame everything on something (godlessness) and find hope somewhere (God). Isn't that the way Christianity works?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,320,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. he said it.. what an idiot! LOL. HE is what is wrong with America today.. that and the idiots that listen to him!
He's an idiot, he does not represent America and you are exaggerating.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
He's an idiot, he does not represent America and you are exaggerating.

Oh really...LOL.. yeah okay.. NO.. he represents the right wing religious zealots..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies