Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM

918 posts, read 817,697 times

Advertisements

To this:

Quote:
Jeez, cut the hostility and the implied insults (is "personal responsiblility an alien notion to you?) and I'll answer some of your post. How was I supposed to know you weren't an MD?
Did I not suggest in my reply why I took some umbrage. You may not realize it, but when you start throwing about personal references such as your daughter's unfortunate health issue it sort of implied an unjust hostility towards me the way you framed it, doctor or not. If I misread you, you have my open apology, so please respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You must have missed the Supreme Court decision yesterday that would disallow such a law. Proactive conservative judges decided that corporations have the same rights as people, more or less.
I heard about it, and am against that ruling. Unless I misunderstood something, it sounds like a very bad thing..

However, even if that stays in place, why can't their be exceptions when it comes to Health Care and Banking...?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM

133 posts, read 308,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Who can afford to pay the bills when they get cancer or have a traumatic injury? What are people suppose to do then? Die?
First of all you lead a healthy lifestyle so you give yourself the best chance of avoiding cancer in the first place! that means not smoking or being obese!
If you get cancer get treatment,then when healthy get on a payment plan!!!!!!!!
The government doesn't owe anyone a living!
Bad companies(insurance,auto,banks) fail if the government doesn't step in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The free market works if obama would just shut the h*ll up!

Message to obama, better to be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM

272 posts, read 295,909 times
While not smoking and being obese make increase your odds of not getting cancer what about young children who have done nothing who develop cancer. You never know when something bad is going to happen. You live in la la land if you think it can't happen to you. While it is true bad companies fail it is also true there are companies out their that gouge people, that are crooked and continue and without some form of gov't involvement you would be screwed. Who gets to pick and decide what gov't invovlement there should be. Without gov't involvement you may as well live in the wild wild west and everyone live by their own rules.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinajana View Post
First of all you lead a healthy lifestyle so you give yourself the best chance of avoiding cancer in the first place! that means not smoking or being obese!
If you get cancer get treatment,then when healthy get on a payment plan!!!!!!!!
The government doesn't owe anyone a living!
Bad companies(insurance,auto,banks) fail if the government doesn't step in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The free market works if obama would just shut the h*ll up!

Message to obama, better to be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt!
The "healthy lifestyle" mantra! While I believe in healthing living, NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING can reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease and othe health problems to zero. Did you see me post, just a few upthread about my daughter who had cancer? Also note what I posted upthread about nuns. They have a low (not zero) rate of cervical cancer, b/c cervical cancer is actually a sexually transmitted disease, but a high rate of breast cancer b/c women who have never had children are at higher risk for breast cancer. Bottom line: you can't prevent everything.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The "healthy lifestyle" mantra! While I believe in healthing living, NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING can reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease and othe health problems to zero. Did you see me post, just a few upthread about my daughter who had cancer? Also note what I posted upthread about nuns. They have a low (not zero) rate of cervical cancer, b/c cervical cancer is actually a sexually transmitted disease, but a high rate of breast cancer b/c women who have never had children are at higher risk for breast cancer. Bottom line: you can't prevent everything.
You are quite right. Everybody has Cancer, everyday, right now. Prevention can help cut down on those Cancerous cells turning into the disease. The operative words there are, cut down. Certainly each individual has a responsibility to themselves to take the, relatively easy steps, to avoid many of the diseases we face. The Govt has, I feel, an obligation to facilitate people taking the proper steps, thru education and economic incentives. But even if people take the proper steps, these diseases will still occur, but in much lesser numbers. Some of these diseases are unavoidable. Massive injury due to accidents will always occur as well. But for someone to have their financial lives destroyed when something catastrophic happens, is wrong and unnecessary.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
While not smoking and being obese make increase your odds of not getting cancer what about young children who have done nothing who develop cancer. You never know when something bad is going to happen. You live in la la land if you think it can't happen to you. While it is true bad companies fail it is also true there are companies out their that gouge people, that are crooked and continue and without some form of gov't involvement you would be screwed. Who gets to pick and decide what gov't invovlement there should be. Without gov't involvement you may as well live in the wild wild west and everyone live by their own rules.
Oh where to start!

"what about young children who have done nothing who develop cancer.'

You think their parents lifestyle might have had something to do with that?

"While it is true bad companies fail it is also true there are companies out their that gouge people, that are crooked and continue and without some form of gov't involvement you would be screwed. Who gets to pick and decide what gov't invovlement there should be. Without gov't involvement you may as well live in the wild wild west and everyone live by their own rules."

Any company that gouges people will not be in business long if left to the free market!

Their should be very very little if any government involvement.
Let the free market work,people will get themselves educated after they get burned a couple times it's called personal responsibility.
Today people are lazy they want the government to take care of everything in their lives!

Last edited by Sinajana; 01-23-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Oh where to start!

Let the free market work,people will get themselves educated after they get burned a couple times it's called personal responsibility.
Today people are lazy they want the government to take of everything in their lives!
Just what are you talking about? I don't think you have a clue how much hospitalization costs.

There are plenty of companies gouging people out here in the free market. You have a naive belief in the free market system if you think otherwise. If the market regulated itsefl so well, there would be no need for any government regulations.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Oh where to start!

"what about young children who have done nothing who develop cancer.'

You think their parents lifestyle might have had something to do with that?

"While it is true bad companies fail it is also true there are companies out their that gouge people, that are crooked and continue and without some form of gov't involvement you would be screwed. Who gets to pick and decide what gov't invovlement there should be. Without gov't involvement you may as well live in the wild wild west and everyone live by their own rules."

Any company that gouges people will not be in business long if left to the free market!

Today people are lazy they want the government to take of everything in their lives!
The only thing I can say about this post is echoing you, "Oh where to start".

Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You are quite right. Everybody has Cancer, everyday, right now. Prevention can help cut down on those Cancerous cells turning into the disease. The operative words there are, cut down. Certainly each individual has a responsibility to themselves to take the, relatively easy steps, to avoid many of the diseases we face. The Govt has, I feel, an obligation to facilitate people taking the proper steps, thru education and economic incentives. But even if people take the proper steps, these diseases will still occur, but in much lesser numbers. Some of these diseases are unavoidable. Massive injury due to accidents will always occur as well. But for someone to have their financial lives destroyed when something catastrophic happens, is wrong and unnecessary.

I am in the medical field,and you may or may not know how true this highlighted statement is.
But the key is a healthy and strong immune system,and people need to take personal responsibility and get themselves educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies