Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosantafesmostwanted View Post
We aren't for giving criminals guns to go murder people! Background checks are a must! We are against over regulation and believe it is a responsible American's freedom to own a gun whether for recreation or for responsible self defense of his property.

No gang member should have a gun.

No illegal should have a gun.

No terrorist should have a gun.

No killer should have a gun.

But why keep guns from a law-abiding hunter in West Texas?
I am not aware of anyone keeping guns from law-abiding hunters. I just don't think that is the case anywhere. I would love to see the source on this also. How do you differentiate a criminal from someone who is not? There are 3 million people in jail right now.

I don't understand the fascination with guns. Yes, I have one, I use it to hunt for food. All of my buddies take this act of killing seriously. Yet the main problem I see with guns, is school shooting, work shootings, and gang related activities. The first two groups of murders are in your classification of people who could be allowed to have guns. The third is impossible to monitor, just ask the DEA, FBI, or ATF. They also have statistics on how hard it is to monitor firearms, but I am eating dinner right now and cannot copy and paste.

I agree a rifle, and maybe a handgun should be legal. But to see assault rifles legal just because people like to see them go boom, is ridiculous and a corruption of the second amendment. Not to mention that your bullets will do no good while defending yourself against Homeland Security forces. They, and the military, have helicopters and tanks.

With that said, I am more scared of my drugged out, mentally unstable, and under educated fellow citizens, than the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM

42 posts, read 116,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post

Here is another study showing that 1 out of 15 black people are in jail right now, not to mention that 1 out of 9 black males between the ages of 20-34 are in jail. One can argue, from a sociologist's standpoint, that poverty is a main cause of crime, and not only would gun control limit this crime, but so would affirmative action. The New York Times > Log In

1 in 15 blacks are in jail because they choose to commit a crime. Sure, maybe 10% maybe wrongfully jailed and thats a shame. 1 in 20 blacks is still a lot.

Poverty certainly is the main cause of crime. Where we disagree is the solution.

- I believe poverty is due to unemployment.

-You believe poverty is due to lack of affirmative action.

Responsible law abiding hunters with guns in West Texas have nothing to do with causing poverty amongst blacks.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Libertarianism is the phoniest of all the pseudo-political doctrines. They are really just cheap conservatives. Give a Libertarian the freedom to pave and plow their own roads, maintain their own water, power, and sewer infrastructure... watch them run for the hills.
I have to maintain my own water well, my own sewage disposal system, I don't have public utilities of any kind. I maintain my own road and washes etc.

And, I love it. I'm not running anywhere.

I disagree with your post.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I am not aware of anyone keeping guns from law-abiding hunters. I just don't think that is the case anywhere. .

Read up on it my friend... I am for background checks, It certainly is the case in some places... try the entire country of Mexico, and it was banned in Washington D.C. until it was overturned by the courts.

Gun control is a way to control weapons and has many different versions. To say you support gun control doesn't mean anything. I think you mean you support tighter gun control, but not a ban.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
What's a better system than democracy?

It doesn't matter what race people are. The best society is colorblind. One that judges on character rather than color. Affirmitive action judges on the latter. Why disadvantage one student because he's white although he has better character?
Although I generally agree with this statement, I do take issue with the second part of your comment.

Affirmative action first of all, is correcting an evil of our culture and society. Historically, this country was built on slavery and indentured servitude. If you think that the white people do not owe anything to the slaves for building your freedom loving country, then that is your prerogative, but it is wrong. And I am saying this as a human being, not because I have an opinion. Once minorities have the same opportunities as the majority, then you can talk about your country like it's a democracy.

Affirmative action does not choose between color or character. There is never a distinction in the entire process as to whether a black's character is better than a white's character, simply because humans are not God, and a lot of people in this country are still bigots. There is one question on the form asking if the person is a felon, and that is all. No one should be the judge of another's character, unless another has been hurt, and that "judging" should only be carried out in a court of law.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Race will ALWAYS matter to some ridiculous people. Yet, we should not let the craziness of a small few impact us negatively. We shouldn't use race to blame or disadvantage. AA disadvantages.
It's not a "small few".

Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Read up on it my friend... I am for background checks, It certainly is the case in some places... try the entire country of Mexico, and it was banned in Washington D.C. until it was overturned by the courts.
I do read up on it, send me a link, and I promise to read it. Usually when a story like this pops up, I have it appear in my email in an RSS feed. I do not like my government infringing on my freedoms, but at times it is warranted. I would be more than happy if they got rid of the right for people to own assault rifles, and anything unnecessary for hunting.

The thing that bothers me the most is the word terrorism and Homeland Security. I don't understand why "freedom loving" people don't attack this new and ugly evolution of the past 10 years of government. Why aren't these people talking more about how our government is scanning children at airports, or how the FBI is recording your calls, maybe right now? These stories are facts, and have been broadcast around the internet and the world by the most credible news sources, yet all I hear is how guns are going to be banned. Especially where I am from. They are using this topic to manipulate your mind. Think of this next time you will get scanned at the airport. Your wife/daughter' naked body will be viewed by some person from the TSA. That image will then be stored in the hard drive of that computer.

First we had a failed and stupid war on drugs which lasted 40 years, and now we will have a failed and stupid war on terrorism which will cost more and be much longer than the previous fake war. These should be issues, not deposits on plastic bottles or gun control.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Affirmative action first of all, is correcting an evil of our culture and society. Historically, this country was built on slavery and indentured servitude. If you think that the white people do not owe anything to the slaves for building your freedom loving country, then that is your prerogative, but it is wrong. And I am saying this as a human being, not because I have an opinion. Once minorities have the same opportunities as the majority, then you can talk about your country like it's a democracy.

I agree slavery was an awful horrible part of this countries past. Libertarians value freedom for all people and hence why individuals like modern libertarians supported Republican Abraham Lincoln in his fight for equality.

What is interesting is that, today, the same party which fought for servitude, inequality, is fighting for affirmative action. Affirmative action is not solely for blacks, but wealthy hispanic, asians, and other minorities. Remember Hispanics outnumber blacks therefore AA generally benefits them more. Affirmative action benefits Asian (the wealthiest minority) simply because they are a minority. Affirmative action does not base on character like MLK wanted when he gave his "I Have a Dream" speech, but judges based on color.

Affirmative action is not simply for blacks therefore does little to so called "payment" due to slavery.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I do read up on it, send me a link, and I promise to read it. Usually when a story like this pops up, I have it appear in my email in an RSS feed. I do not like my government infringing on my freedoms, but at times it is warranted. I would be more than happy if they got rid of the right for people to own assault rifles, and anything unnecessary for hunting.

The thing that bothers me the most is the word terrorism and Homeland Security. I don't understand why "freedom loving" people don't attack this new and ugly evolution of the past 10 years of government. Why aren't these people talking more about how our government is scanning children at airports, or how the FBI is recording your calls, maybe right now? These stories are facts, and have been broadcast around the internet and the world by the most credible news sources, yet all I hear is how guns are going to be banned. Especially where I am from. They are using this topic to manipulate your mind. Think of this next time you will get scanned at the airport. Your wife/daughter' naked body will be viewed by some person from the TSA. That image will then be stored in the hard drive of that computer.

First we had a failed and stupid war on drugs which lasted 40 years, and now we will have a failed and stupid war on terrorism which will cost more and be much longer than the previous fake war. These should be issues, not deposits on plastic bottles or gun control.
Court overturns D.C. handgun ban - Life- msnbc.com

We do attack the last ten years! Both Bush and Obama are assualting our freedoms. Libertarians don't believe in stupid wars. We think Iraq was a costly mistake and the 40 year old war on drugs was a lot of money that does little. The created of the DEA which wastes millions on inefficiency or the homeland security department which eats billions but doesn't stop terrorists from boarding US-bound planes. Or the department of energy which is a waste... Our government hasn't produced a single kilowatt of electricity since it's formation. Or Federal reserve bank which is a publically funded bank which bails out large corporations, secretly sends our money overseas without telling the public to which banks, creates inflation, and creates money from thin air,

We are almost $13,000,000,000 in debt.
ahhhh now can you see why I'm believe in freedom!? lol

Old 01-24-2010, 07:56 PM

290 posts, read 570,327 times
RON PAUL baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies