Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Overall, if you have a mile of road, unless you have a ranch of some acres and that road comes off a public road, which it does, which you use, you share the road with others who share in the upkeep.
I am totally solar powered - so cooking is electric.

And no, I do not share the road with anyone else. I do have acreage. Large enough to have a shoot range on my property.

There is NO FIRE DEPARTMENT that will respond. None. Hence why I cannot obtain fire insurance for my property.

No, I do not live in a town - quite the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,102,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
And i'll say it again .... do your own research.
You are the one making the claim, you are the one that should provide data to back up your claim. Telling people to "do research" is silly, its just another way of saying "I'm making this stuff up as I go".

Quote:
what's the difference between your girl being in the car with you while you're having your conversation and she being at home and you're conversing with her on the cell phone?
Yes, that is my question. How does putting a device in my ear magically make talking more disruptive to my driving.

Quote:
And you need proof and statistics (they exist) to determine that texting while driving is dangerous?!!!
You are once again ignoring the issue. The question is whether texting while driving is any more dangerous than eating while driving or a number of other things. Why create a law against one thing, while ignoring a number of other equally disruptive behaviors?

Quote:
If you're driving and talking on the cell phone or texting, you're endangering other people. Period.
Likewise if you eat in the car, change your CD, put on our make up, have a deep conversation with people in the car and so on.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,687,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If it wasn't for the $20 trillion (inflation adjusted) that uncompensated slave labor generated to build this country from the ground up, you wouldn't even be posting here today. Heck, there may not even be an internet, let alone a US of A.

Hmmmm how about just taxing the entire white race all over the world.
When your ready to come collecting let me know I will be holding my guns.
PS blacks werent the only slaves in America so which white familes you GOING give the money to as well.

White Slavery, what the Scots already know
Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These links are NOT FROM KKK groups EITHER!
Even some Blacks owned some white slaves...
So you owe me!!!
PS if it wasnt for the WHITE PEOPLE WHO DIED and the WHITE PEOPLE IN GOVERNMENT WHO VOTED AND THEN WENT TO WAR YOU STILL MIGHT BE A SLAVE!
The American Revolution STARTED really in the 1750's when WHITE PEOPLE of America started to actually REBEL against the system of which was STARTED BY THE BRITISH *******s of which if you wanted to be serious you could SUE THEM they brought the slaves here.

Again you come collecting I will be shooting.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,687,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

And no, I do not share the road with anyone else. I do have acreage. Large enough to have a shoot range on my property.

There is NO FIRE DEPARTMENT that will respond. None. Hence why I cannot obtain fire insurance for my property.

Where do you live it sounds nice :-)

Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,525,034 times
Quote:

To bake at 350 for one hour requires nearly 2.0 Kwh That would cost you around 20,000 dollars for a system to handle cooking for one hour, then leaving you powerless until the batteries recharge. That makes no economic sense. I have never heard of a person using photovoltaics to run an electric stove.

So you have a mile of road that is not all on your property, that you do not share, highly unusual. Also keep in mind that roads are drainage, if you do not take care of the drainage issues when you maintain your road, you will have drainage issues when the storms come.
A half acre is big enough for a range, an acre is twice that, you don't need much room for a range.

Fire insurance availability is a huge issue in rural areas and quite separate from Fire Department Service. Now, since you have two states listed, I must choose, if your property is in Nevada, you are served by NDF. If it is in Arizona I doubt Arizona is different.

If you are within 30 minutes response from Sheriff, and the Deputy will probably at no more than 60, that means you are within 30 miles of a substation, I do not consider that particularly rural.
Unless you can substantiate this stuff, I think you are joshing us.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,793,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosantafesmostwanted View Post
1. Very restrictive gun laws even for recreation!. If you want to go to a shooting range to rent a gun you cant be alone unless you have a permit.

2. Pro-wealth distribution, and affirmitive action at state universities

3. No cell phone use while driving. This includes texting or calling.

4. High taxes (just raised witholding state income tax by another 10%, and sales tax is near 10% in many parts of CA)

5. Big government in big debt... issuing IOU's to state contractors

6. Free speech "zones" have been enacted by some cities like Santa Cruz and others

7. Huntington Beach is passing a law banning beer games in bars

8. Irvine has restrictive paint and roofing laws for beige colors and HOAS.

9. Don't even think about trying to build a home on the ocean.

10. In state tuition for anchor babies

11. Plastic bottle tax (deposits)

12. Traffic (very limiting to FREEDOM!)

13. Crime and gangs

14. Antonio Villargiosa, Mayor of LA, stated it was his mission to spend tax money for one million trees" to beautify LA"... an assualt our wallet when we have bigger problems.. We know that when LA property owners are prosperous- they will beautify themselves by investing in their own property!

15. $800 minimum business tax for all LLC's even if they posted a "net loss". That's even worse than if they were to impose an $800 minimum administrative tax on welfare receipients.
I find it peculiar that libertarians would rail against a states right to self determine. Thread premise and it's supporting evidence are incongruous with reason. Libertarians by nature are 'free' at all times.

Profiling a state, or even a region... when shopping around for a home in the south I found myself inordinately burdened with choices of one HOA or another. I abhor it as if a plague upon the land. I did not buy a home with such restrictions. I do not feel myself compelled to rail against the existence of HOA's, nor insult those who participate in them. That is a reflection of freedom and capitalist market expressing itself respectfully.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:23 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,732,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You are the one making the claim, you are the one that should provide data to back up your claim. Telling people to "do research" is silly, its just another way of saying "I'm making this stuff up as I go".

Yes, that is my question. How does putting a device in my ear magically make talking more disruptive to my driving.

You are once again ignoring the issue. The question is whether texting while driving is any more dangerous than eating while driving or a number of other things. Why create a law against one thing, while ignoring a number of other equally disruptive behaviors?

Likewise if you eat in the car, change your CD, put on our make up, have a deep conversation with people in the car and so on.
I don't use the cell phone when i drive and i don't have any problems with the legal restrictions.
You're making a case that the cell phone while driving r is not dangerous (i could ask you to back up your claim) so if you want to continue with that line of thinking, go right ahead.
If you want to educate yourself and learn then do your own research.
If you don't want to, don't.
I could care less.
But i aint gonna do your work for you.
Telling people to do their own research is not "another way of saying, 'i'm making this stuff as i go'" ... at least that's not what i'm about.
Why you're resistant to doing some simple research is baffling and i think you wanna stay in the dark so you can justify stupid behavior and stupid thinking.
Also, i acknowledged in my previous post (or the one before) that there is a discrepancy regarding the CA law that allows cell phone use as long as hands are free.
I imagine that if they banned cell phones entirely there would be too much of an uproar but i dunno.
Regarding texting while driving.
Good lord.
I'm sorry but if you are so lacking in intelligence and so lacking in common sense that you cannot understand the difference between texting and eating a banana then dude ... i dunno what to say.
Texting is so much more dangerous than talking on the cell phone and it's certainly more dangerous than eating a banana.
It has to do, to a great degree, with where your eyes are!!! duh.
How can this be beyond anyones capacity of understanding?!!!
For example, i can peel a banana with one hand and eat it without my eyes ever leaving the road.
Can you do that while texting?
I could do the same with a sandwich.
I don't and i wish other people would just drive and not be distracted by anything but thinking that texting is equivalent to eating a banana or even talking on the phone is just lame ... lacking in both logic and common sense.
Whatever, do what you want and i hope you stay safe and never hurt anyone while you're being what you think is "free".
And i'm done.
Peaceout.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
PS blacks werent the only slaves in America so which white familes you GOING give the money to as well.

So you owe me!!!
PS if it wasnt for the WHITE PEOPLE WHO DIED and the WHITE PEOPLE IN GOVERNMENT WHO VOTED AND THEN WENT TO WAR YOU STILL MIGHT BE A SLAVE!
The American Revolution STARTED really in the 1750's when WHITE PEOPLE of America started to actually REBEL against the system of which was STARTED BY THE BRITISH *******s of which if you wanted to be serious you could SUE THEM they brought the slaves here.

Nahh, you still have to pay up.

Watch out your window for black helicopters. They're out to get you. Make sure you shoot straight.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And to say it again, I'm asking for research that shows that driving while on the phone is worse than a number of other distractions. Why have a cell-phone law instead of a general law against driving while distracted?

You are pulling this from your rear. Talking is talking. It does not matter whether you are talking via the phone or talking to the person next to you. Even the California law acknowledges this, hence why its a law that only requires hands free devices.

It makes plenty of sense, eating a banana requires you to take one hand off the wheel and creates a number of other distractions.

Laws should be consistent, when you allow inconsistent laws you are asking for special interests to implement laws to their advantage. How much revenue was generated by requiring hands free devices in California?

She's not pulling it out of her rear. 20/20 did a special on it many years ago, and John Stossell actually went out and drove a car, blah blah blah. It's not really worth arguing over.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post

So you owe me!!!

Are you being serious? What textbooks did you read in school, the ones with Jesus riding dinosaurs? There was no more than a few hundred white slaves in the history of the US, out of the millions of black slaves. The lion's share of the white slaves in North America went to the Barbados. That is not in the US as far as I know. Even the number of white slaves, was still dwarfed by the number of black slaves. Does this look like a white man to you:

File:Cicatrices de flagellation sur un esclave.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's from the link you supplied us with BTW. Are you aware of all the blacks who were conscripted to fight in the Civil War? Do you know the real cause of the Civil War? What a typical response from a simpleton: "You come collecting I will be shooting." What are ya gonna shoot, the IRS? Why don't you try voting instead, and get your friends to vote as well. The reason we need to outlaw everything other than hunting rifles is because people like you can't communicate (most likely due to a lack of education as evidenced by your simplistic view of American History) with anything other than guns. You go around, calling people "bleeding heart liberals" and "communists" because you heard a buzzword on some fake news program on TV. Why don't you turn off the TV, turn off the radio, put down the gun, and pick up a damn book. No internet either, a real book with pages. I would suggest something on American History. Then move onto some works by Noam Chomsky, so you can understand your own political viewpoint a little better.

Last edited by michael11747; 01-25-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies