Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,533,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
Overall, the typical white family enjoys a net worth that is more than seven times that of its black counterpart.

Why is this the case? Because white people in America have been receiving race-based Affirmative Action from the government for around 400 years.

This wealth has been passed down for generations of white citizens, in the form of education, job opportunity, housing opportunity, property ownership, and inherited wealth.

If you are a white person in the United States, almost without exception you receive at least some (if not most) of the benefits of White Affirmative Action: in the composition + wealth of the town you live in (built by racial segregation), in your schools (received more government funds for 100 years that schools of color), your job opportunities (from social networks of other white professionals who received similar benefits over generations), etc. White people still tend to get easier credit terms, better schools, shorter prison sentences, and more generous government benefits than people of color.

I'm not saying this to make you feel guilty - in fact I don't think any of us are to blame at all. We can't be responsible for what happened in the past - but we can take responsibility for the inequality and injustice that is happening right now.

Here are a few ways in which government programs and practices have channeled wealth and opportunities to white people at the expense of people of color.

1. White Americans were given a head start with the help of the U.S. Army. The 1830 Indian Removal Act, for example, forcibly relocated Cherokee, Creeks and other eastern Indians to west of the Mississippi River to make room for white settlers. The 1862 Homestead Act followed suit, giving away millions of acres of what had been Indian Territory west of the Mississippi. Ultimately, 270 million acres, or 10% of the total land area of the United States, was converted to private white ownership under Homestead Act provisions.

2. The 1790 Naturalization Act permitted only "free white persons" to become naturalized citizens. Only citizens could vote, serve on juries, hold office, and even hold property. Racial barriers to naturalized U.S. citizenship weren't removed until the McCarran-Walter Act in 1952, and white racial preferences in immigration remained until 1965.

3. Slavery.

4. Jim Crow laws, instituted in the late 19th and early 20th century and not overturned in many states until the 1960s, reserved the best jobs, neighborhoods, schools and hospitals for white people.

5. The landmark Social Security Act of 1935 provided a safety net for millions of workers, guaranteeing them an income after retirement. But the Social Security act specifically excluded two occupations: agricultural workers and domestic servants, who were predominately African American, Mexican, and Asian. As low-income workers, they also had the least opportunity to save for their retirement. They couldn't pass wealth on to their children. Just the opposite. Their children had to support them.

6. Like Social Security, the 1935 Wagner Act helped establish an important new right for white people. By granting unions the power of collective bargaining, it helped millions of white workers gain entry into the middle class over the next 30 years. But the Wagner Act permitted unions to exclude non-whites and deny them access to better paid jobs and union protections and benefits such as health care, job security, and pensions. Many craft unions remained nearly all-white well into the 1970s. In 1972, for example, every single one of the 3,000 members of Los Angeles Steam Fitters Local #250 was still white.

7. But it was another racialized New Deal program, the GI Bill and the Federal Housing Administration, that helped generate much of the wealth that so many white families enjoy today. These revolutionary programs made it possible for millions of average white Americans - but not others - to own a home for the first time. The government set up a national neighborhood appraisal system, explicitly tying mortgage eligibility to race. Non-white communities were deemed a "financial risk" and made ineligible for home loans, a policy known today as "redlining." Between 1934 and 1962, the federal government backed $120 billion of home loans. More than 98% went to whites. (!!!)

In Conclusion:

What you're looking at is over 400 years of government-backed transfer of wealth away from people of color and towards white people. Fundamentally, this is White Affirmative Action, in the fields of civil rights, property, job opportunities, home ownership, healthcare, social security, etc.

How can this not have huge consequences for every aspect of American life and opportunity?

CONSEQUENCES: THE RACIAL WEALTH GAP

1. The typical white family today has on average seven times the assets, or net worth, of a typical African American family. Much of that wealth difference can be attributed to the value of one's home, and how much one inherited from parents.

2. But a family's net worth is not simply the finish line, it's also the starting point for the next generation. Those with wealth pass their assets on to their children - by financing a college education, lending a hand during hard times, or assisting with the down payment for a home. Some economists estimate that up to 80 percent of lifetime wealth accumulation depends on these intergenerational transfers. White advantage is passed down, from parent to child to grand-child. As a result, the racial wealth gap - and the head start enjoyed by whites - appears to have grown since the civil rights days.

3. In 1865, just after Emancipation, it is not surprising that African Americans owned 0.5 percent of the total worth of the United States. But by 1990, a full 135 years after the abolition of slavery, Black Americans still possessed only a meager 1 percent of national wealth.

4. The racial wealth gap is even worse thanks to the sub-prime mortage crisis, during which predatory lenders specifically targetted poor people-of-color for exploitation (Wells Fargo even circulated a memo calling them "ghetto loans" to "mud people"). This crisis moved 90 billion dollars out of the black community and into the hands of white bankers, the largest racial transfer of wealth in America since slavery.

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?(Reparations!)

1. One indication that attacks on affirmative action are part of a white backlash against equality is that affirmative action (in the form of preferences that primarily benefit white people) are not being questioned.

2. I humbly propose that, to counter 300+ years of intensely racist affirmative action in favor of white people, that we strive to equalize the wealth gap by instituting affirmative action for all people of color.

3. This can include job opportunities, preferential hiring, grants and scholarships, etc. But more importantly, I think it should be based around a re-investment in communities of color: building good schools, health-care centers and hospitals, providing well-paying jobs, post-prison rehabilitation programs, etc.

4. I know that sounds complicated, but I'm not here to talk about how to make a perfect Reparations for People of Color plan. I'm just here to explain why I think it's necessary.

5. Here is an elegant summary and defense of Affirmative Action: Affirmative Action Works! by Paul Kivel / In Defense of Affirmative Action / In Motion Magazine

FAQ:

1. Wasn't this stuff all in the past?

I mean, it's just one or two generations back. When we're talking about inherited wealth and economic opportunity, what happened to your great-grandparents is very relevant, as the statistics of family wealth, job opportunity, education, health, etc. all show.

2. This doesn't apply to me, I'm [jewish, an immigrant, poor, etc.]

There are many white people who this does not apply to specifically - you may be one of them. But it's natural to feel defensive - we like to believe what we have is the result of hard work. And it is. It is also, however, the result of a significant amount of government assistance for generations and generations in our families. Even white immigrants like my family only made it to this country because we have immigration policies that favored white immigrants from Europe over others.

3. What about colorblind policies that treat everyone the same?

Colorblindness today treates everyone equally, but white americans already have an unfair advantage, so colorblind policies just keep that advantage in place and it gets worse and worse over time.

4. What about class-based policies instead of race-based policies?

Looking at class-based policies in the past, like the New Deal programs, you can see that without an explicit race-based component the administration and application of those policies tends to re-create racist dynamics and benefit only white people. In almost every single circumstance, class-based policies are manipulated to benefit white people over people of color because they don't address the racial problems inherent in the system so of course they fail because of those problems.

5. What about [some innacuracy or an argument over the statistics or whatever].

While this list is factually solid, I'm sure there is a mistake here and there. The point isn't whether each individual point is completely right, but rather that together they paint a clear picture of hundreds of years of affirmative action in favor of white people that needs to be reversed.

6. Shouldn't we just focus on changing people's attitudes?

There does need to be a shift in people's attitudes. But that alone won't make a single person's life better.

Besides, the point of this is that it isn't attitudes that creates this system - it's economic policy. So for the inequality to change, we need to change the policies that create + perpetuate it.

7. What exactly are you trying to do here?

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. I just think that those of us who are white people should know our history, and take responsibility for the benefits we have received by supporting equality and justice in our country.

8. Okay, you win. What can I do to help?

Ideally, I want everyone to become active in a reparations struggle (not necessarily in name) in your community. That means supporting funding and quality schools for students of color. It means supporting rehabilitation and ending the racist prison industry. Volunteer your time with a group that gives supplies or help to folks dealing with the consequences of this system. All around you there are people of color fighting for what they are owed by this country, and they would be glad to have your help.

Great post. Every white person (and that includes me, BTW) who thinks he is better off than other races because he is supposedly hard working, entrepreneurial, smarter, a "rugged individualist" (as libertartans like to fantasize themselves to be) had better realize that he is simply a beneficiary of historic affirmative action policies for white people that have been in place for about 400 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
There should really be some sort of IQ test given to prospective gun owners.
But if we did that, most guns will be in the hands of Asians and Jews! Have some pity on white trash, they need equal opportunities to own guns too.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
I disagree with the assertion that white people have had the advantage over blacks for 400 years. It has more or less been in place ever since Julius Caesar defeated Cleopatra and stole Egypt for himself. More like 2,000 years. At least.

Ah yes - Very well thought out and presented essay. Welcome aboard.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,530,665 times
Quote:
It has more or less been in place ever since Julius Caesar defeated Cleopatra and stole Egypt for himself.
Cleopatra was Greek, she was a Ptolemy.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,692,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
1) ***** your guns! ***** your guns! ***** your guns! ***** your guns a million times you friggin neanderthal!!!
As if this most insane, out of control and unconscious bunch of idiots that make up this ridiculous consumer driven, dominant culture needs more guns.
Good god.
2) Affirmative action helps those that are qualified but got a bad shake ... it levels a very uneven playing field ... an uneven playing field due to people like you!
3) Talking on the cell phone impairs driving to a degree equivalent to a legally drunk blood alcohol level and texting while driving doubles the risk. Do you realize how many people have been killed because of driving and texting?!! (other people ... not the ones on the cell phone! ... go ahead and put your own life at risk but when you're on a cell phone in the car, you're messing with me man and that's where you can take your "freedom" and _____________________ !!!)
So ***** your cell phone while driving!!! a million times. I am so sick of selfish and ignorant and entitled people like you. Yeah, entitled. What right do you have to talk or text on a cell phone when it endangers peoples lives?!!!
Good god again.
6) what the hell?
I'll let somebody else address the others but, yeah, whatever.
You do not know what true and essential freedom is. You have the mistaken notion that freedom means being able to do whatever the hell you want. WRONG!
1. Nothing wrong with wanting guns and using them for protection, hunting and for target practice. Most americans who OWN guns dont use them for killing and murdering people. A permit doesnt stop anyone from getting a gun, using a gun and or shooting one. Criminals dont get a permit only those who feel they have to jump thru hoops and wait for months to get a gun for protection from the criminal who has one already. Its like drugs they are illegal and can kill you but seems like anyone can get them anytime they want too.
2. Affirmative action is not stopping racism as it was intended and giving unqualified people jobs based on race. Sounds like racism is promoted in this law in general since it uses race to define a job and quota. Sounds like a unfair law based on race which impacts a business of which the government really has no business in. How is a nation suppose to not teach racism when we have laws that help some races and thru others under the bus.
3. While many of us run to believe cell phones are the reason and or cause to accidents I would actually like to see some data. Why only attack cell phones. How about women putting on make up, conversations, radios, ipods etc. I bet putting on make up in the car is worse then having a CELL phone convo. But we dont actually have data on how many car addicts are from CELL phone usage or do we :-)
Each year it is estimated we have around 49,000 deaths from car accidents.
Out of those deaths 2,600 are from cellphones.. that is 5% across the entire country.
What about the other 95% and why are we so focused on cell phones. I'm not saying we should have a law but seems to me we all went crazy over cell phones when I can think about the millions of women everyday who sit in traffic to work and put on makeup lookin the overhead mirror.
I guess a balanced approach to SAFETY would be nice instead of singling out just cell phones I might respect the BS that comes from people who talk like cell phones cause all these accidents. The data doesnt show it either.
6. Free speech zone... hmm only those who believe in control and limiting the minds and words of individuals would think we need controlled zones of protest.

Someone wants freedom must also take the responsiblity, how about letting people decide what they can be responsible for or not. Some might like to plow there own streets, sewer and or willing to pay for them in local taxes or via local businesses and pricing. They just might not like the federal government telling the local people how to run things and dont want to pay the federal government ontop of the local government to run our lives. Social or economic. State to state you will find less and more personal and or economic freedoms. That is why we have state rights if you dont like california and believe in different freedoms move the hell out or change the government. That is why people move out of NJ and move to PA.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,530,665 times
Quote:
Over a mile of roadway coming to the house - and after this past week, lots of repair needed.

One mile, this is yours, and yours alone, runs on your property and is not shared with anyone? A quick note, I had a mile of road in the Sierra Nevada to maintain and to plow, something which is pretty minor everywhere in the country except the Sierra Nevada, while plowing takes a great deal of time, maintenance is not an onerous task, usually a little shove work on the culverts and a drag or scraper. I don't feel your pain.

No propane - except for the outside fire. And that I take the tanks in to be filled. No one delivers

You cook over wood?

I have no fire service available.

Yes you do, NDF or the AZ counterpart.

And the Sheriff tells me that if I call for help - they are 30 minutes out minimum.

Sounds to me like you live in town. If the Sheriff (public) can get there in 30 minutes, you are not too far from him.

Overall, if you have a mile of road, unless you have a ranch of some acres and that road comes off a public road, which it does, which you use, you share the road with others who share in the upkeep.

If you have no propane, you are cooking off electricity, which if you are off grid makes no sense, or you are cooking on wood, which means you cut wood, probably on public land.

Fire protection throughout the rural areas of Nevada is provided by NDF and in Arizona, the Arizona equivalent (public). If response time is lengthy you are far from the Lone Ranger in that regard, most rural areas have lengthy response times, with luck though the air tankers can protect the wild land from you if you burn your place down, they can get their pretty quickly.

A Sheriff Department (public) of 30 minutes is actually pretty darned good, throughout the west.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,692,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
Overall, the typical white family enjoys a net worth that is more than seven times that of its black counterpart.

Why is this the case? Because white people in America have been receiving race-based Affirmative Action from the government for around 400 years.

This wealth has been passed down for generations of white citizens, in the form of education, job opportunity, housing opportunity, property ownership, and inherited wealth.

If you are a white person in the United States, almost without exception you receive at least some (if not most) of the benefits of White Affirmative Action: in the composition + wealth of the town you live in (built by racial segregation), in your schools (received more government funds for 100 years that schools of color), your job opportunities (from social networks of other white professionals who received similar benefits over generations), etc. White people still tend to get easier credit terms, better schools, shorter prison sentences, and more generous government benefits than people of color.

I'm not saying this to make you feel guilty - in fact I don't think any of us are to blame at all. We can't be responsible for what happened in the past - but we can take responsibility for the inequality and injustice that is happening right now.

Here are a few ways in which government programs and practices have channeled wealth and opportunities to white people at the expense of people of color.

1. White Americans were given a head start with the help of the U.S. Army. The 1830 Indian Removal Act, for example, forcibly relocated Cherokee, Creeks and other eastern Indians to west of the Mississippi River to make room for white settlers. The 1862 Homestead Act followed suit, giving away millions of acres of what had been Indian Territory west of the Mississippi. Ultimately, 270 million acres, or 10% of the total land area of the United States, was converted to private white ownership under Homestead Act provisions.

2. The 1790 Naturalization Act permitted only "free white persons" to become naturalized citizens. Only citizens could vote, serve on juries, hold office, and even hold property. Racial barriers to naturalized U.S. citizenship weren't removed until the McCarran-Walter Act in 1952, and white racial preferences in immigration remained until 1965.

3. Slavery.

4. Jim Crow laws, instituted in the late 19th and early 20th century and not overturned in many states until the 1960s, reserved the best jobs, neighborhoods, schools and hospitals for white people.

5. The landmark Social Security Act of 1935 provided a safety net for millions of workers, guaranteeing them an income after retirement. But the Social Security act specifically excluded two occupations: agricultural workers and domestic servants, who were predominately African American, Mexican, and Asian. As low-income workers, they also had the least opportunity to save for their retirement. They couldn't pass wealth on to their children. Just the opposite. Their children had to support them.

6. Like Social Security, the 1935 Wagner Act helped establish an important new right for white people. By granting unions the power of collective bargaining, it helped millions of white workers gain entry into the middle class over the next 30 years. But the Wagner Act permitted unions to exclude non-whites and deny them access to better paid jobs and union protections and benefits such as health care, job security, and pensions. Many craft unions remained nearly all-white well into the 1970s. In 1972, for example, every single one of the 3,000 members of Los Angeles Steam Fitters Local #250 was still white.

7. But it was another racialized New Deal program, the GI Bill and the Federal Housing Administration, that helped generate much of the wealth that so many white families enjoy today. These revolutionary programs made it possible for millions of average white Americans - but not others - to own a home for the first time. The government set up a national neighborhood appraisal system, explicitly tying mortgage eligibility to race. Non-white communities were deemed a "financial risk" and made ineligible for home loans, a policy known today as "redlining." Between 1934 and 1962, the federal government backed $120 billion of home loans. More than 98% went to whites. (!!!)

In Conclusion:

What you're looking at is over 400 years of government-backed transfer of wealth away from people of color and towards white people. Fundamentally, this is White Affirmative Action, in the fields of civil rights, property, job opportunities, home ownership, healthcare, social security, etc.

How can this not have huge consequences for every aspect of American life and opportunity?

CONSEQUENCES: THE RACIAL WEALTH GAP

1. The typical white family today has on average seven times the assets, or net worth, of a typical African American family. Much of that wealth difference can be attributed to the value of one's home, and how much one inherited from parents.

2. But a family's net worth is not simply the finish line, it's also the starting point for the next generation. Those with wealth pass their assets on to their children - by financing a college education, lending a hand during hard times, or assisting with the down payment for a home. Some economists estimate that up to 80 percent of lifetime wealth accumulation depends on these intergenerational transfers. White advantage is passed down, from parent to child to grand-child. As a result, the racial wealth gap - and the head start enjoyed by whites - appears to have grown since the civil rights days.

3. In 1865, just after Emancipation, it is not surprising that African Americans owned 0.5 percent of the total worth of the United States. But by 1990, a full 135 years after the abolition of slavery, Black Americans still possessed only a meager 1 percent of national wealth.

4. The racial wealth gap is even worse thanks to the sub-prime mortage crisis, during which predatory lenders specifically targetted poor people-of-color for exploitation (Wells Fargo even circulated a memo calling them "ghetto loans" to "mud people"). This crisis moved 90 billion dollars out of the black community and into the hands of white bankers, the largest racial transfer of wealth in America since slavery.

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?(Reparations!)

1. One indication that attacks on affirmative action are part of a white backlash against equality is that affirmative action (in the form of preferences that primarily benefit white people) are not being questioned.

2. I humbly propose that, to counter 300+ years of intensely racist affirmative action in favor of white people, that we strive to equalize the wealth gap by instituting affirmative action for all people of color.

3. This can include job opportunities, preferential hiring, grants and scholarships, etc. But more importantly, I think it should be based around a re-investment in communities of color: building good schools, health-care centers and hospitals, providing well-paying jobs, post-prison rehabilitation programs, etc.

4. I know that sounds complicated, but I'm not here to talk about how to make a perfect Reparations for People of Color plan. I'm just here to explain why I think it's necessary.

5. Here is an elegant summary and defense of Affirmative Action: Affirmative Action Works! by Paul Kivel / In Defense of Affirmative Action / In Motion Magazine

FAQ:

1. Wasn't this stuff all in the past?

I mean, it's just one or two generations back. When we're talking about inherited wealth and economic opportunity, what happened to your great-grandparents is very relevant, as the statistics of family wealth, job opportunity, education, health, etc. all show.

2. This doesn't apply to me, I'm [jewish, an immigrant, poor, etc.]

There are many white people who this does not apply to specifically - you may be one of them. But it's natural to feel defensive - we like to believe what we have is the result of hard work. And it is. It is also, however, the result of a significant amount of government assistance for generations and generations in our families. Even white immigrants like my family only made it to this country because we have immigration policies that favored white immigrants from Europe over others.

3. What about colorblind policies that treat everyone the same?

Colorblindness today treates everyone equally, but white americans already have an unfair advantage, so colorblind policies just keep that advantage in place and it gets worse and worse over time.

4. What about class-based policies instead of race-based policies?

Looking at class-based policies in the past, like the New Deal programs, you can see that without an explicit race-based component the administration and application of those policies tends to re-create racist dynamics and benefit only white people. In almost every single circumstance, class-based policies are manipulated to benefit white people over people of color because they don't address the racial problems inherent in the system so of course they fail because of those problems.

5. What about [some innacuracy or an argument over the statistics or whatever].

While this list is factually solid, I'm sure there is a mistake here and there. The point isn't whether each individual point is completely right, but rather that together they paint a clear picture of hundreds of years of affirmative action in favor of white people that needs to be reversed.

6. Shouldn't we just focus on changing people's attitudes?

There does need to be a shift in people's attitudes. But that alone won't make a single person's life better.

Besides, the point of this is that it isn't attitudes that creates this system - it's economic policy. So for the inequality to change, we need to change the policies that create + perpetuate it.

7. What exactly are you trying to do here?

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. I just think that those of us who are white people should know our history, and take responsibility for the benefits we have received by supporting equality and justice in our country.

8. Okay, you win. What can I do to help?

Ideally, I want everyone to become active in a reparations struggle (not necessarily in name) in your community. That means supporting funding and quality schools for students of color. It means supporting rehabilitation and ending the racist prison industry. Volunteer your time with a group that gives supplies or help to folks dealing with the consequences of this system. All around you there are people of color fighting for what they are owed by this country, and they would be glad to have your help.
Really if this is reason every black person who ever made anything in a white school via a entire white community via local taxes who supported is education owes me all the money he ever made. Or atleast a percent of it. After all if it wasnt for my tax dollar he never would have made it thru 1st to 12th grade and never get to college and of which im sure via another federal tax program also paid for his way in college because he was black of which came from me and many other white people.
So what your saying is because of a race you are entitled to and or even wealth handed down thru generations. So every slave that was ever freed in this country who set his own path and all the millions of blacks who have made money, sucessful businesses and millions of dollars from hardwork and actual struggle have proven you can make it in America.
How about the millions of people who are white poor trash living for generations in trailer parks according to you that white blood should have never made them poor and they are benefits over every black person that ever lived in this country for 400 years. AT this point in American History you have no excuses left based on COLOR!!! WE HAVE FREE EDUCATION!!!! We have had "FREE" education "public schools" for a very long time via tax dollars. We have white people who are stupid and black people who just cant get it together. You know if you think about it... asians were slaves too along with some white people who were slaves, in the united states and build alot of the railroads.. Why is it asians seem to be successful. Hmmmm? Might be something in the CULTURE and not just the RACE itself. If were doing to but slaves in the mix.. I remember alot of jewish slaves in egpty..seems to me they survived alot and making and doing will in America these days. No reparations are needed. People need only the freedom to make it thru life without those who seek to EXPLOIT THE POWER of RACE!

Racism starts when those who use race and want to exploit the laws and other races to get money, power and respect via other peoples money.
FU!!!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Really if this is reason every black person who ever made anything in a white school via a entire white community via local taxes who supported is education owes me all the money he ever made. Or atleast a percent of it. After all if it wasnt for my tax dollar he never would have made it thru 1st to 12th grade and never get to college and of which im sure via another federal tax program also paid for his way in college because he was black of which came from me and many other white people.
If it wasn't for the $20 trillion (inflation adjusted) that uncompensated slave labor generated to build this country from the ground up, you wouldn't even be posting here today. Heck, there may not even be an internet, let alone a US of A.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosantafesmostwanted View Post

The constitution is one page and has guided our court system over 200 years.
You just might be thinking of the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution is a much longer document. The original Constitution was indeed one (rather large) page, however the bill of rights and the other amendments make it a much longer document.

Last edited by DMenscha; 01-25-2010 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,740,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And to say it again, I'm asking for research that shows that driving while on the phone is worse than a number of other distractions. Why have a cell-phone law instead of a general law against driving while distracted?

You are pulling this from your rear. Talking is talking. It does not matter whether you are talking via the phone or talking to the person next to you. Even the California law acknowledges this, hence why its a law that only requires hands free devices.

It makes plenty of sense, eating a banana requires you to take one hand off the wheel and creates a number of other distractions.

Laws should be consistent, when you inconsistent laws you are asking for special interests to implement laws to their advantage. How much revenue was generated by requiring hands free devices in California?
And i'll say it again .... do your own research.
If you care to learn then use your own energy and type g.o.o.g.l.e.
I pulled nothing from my "rear" and talking isn't talking ... it's a different scenario and if you wanna learn about it then learn about it but perhaps you'd like to stay ignorant so you can justify your position.
Aside from the hands free issue just use your common sense.
A simple common sense example .... If you're driving with your girlfriend (she's in the passenger seat) and having a conversation with her and someone on a bicycle suddenly darts out into the road, what's the difference between your girl being in the car with you while you're having your conversation and she being at home and you're conversing with her on the cell phone?

And you need proof and statistics (they exist) to determine that texting while driving is dangerous?!!!

If you're driving and talking on the cell phone or texting, you're endangering other people. Period.

If you wanna lobby whoever one lobbies and make it illegal to eat a banana in the car, have at it.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-25-2010 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies