Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM

42 posts, read 116,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
1) ***** your guns! ***** your guns! ***** your guns! ***** your guns a million times you friggin neanderthal!!!
As if this most insane, out of control and unconscious bunch of idiots that make up this ridiculous consumer driven, dominant culture needs more guns.
Good god.
2) Affirmative action helps those that are qualified but got a bad shake ... it levels a very uneven playing field ... an uneven playing field due to people like you!

1) I am guessing you don't own a gun? Why do you suggest taking away a responsible enthusiast's freedom even though it has no negative impact on you?

2.) How is a black person playing on an uneven field? btw, who's the president? Do you seriously think we have added votes to his final tally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARL_MARX View Post
When they don't have to deal with idiots like yourself, I can completely belief it.
My friend, Under your principles, is it true that we need more laws and taxes in order to become safer, and wealthier?

Do you remember the flag of revolutionary USA? The Gagsden flag which boldly states, "Don't Tread on Me?" How does the modern day policies in California follow these principles of individual freedom?

Please let's keep our discussion respectful. I want the best for this country and so do you (I assume).

Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 PM

406 posts, read 1,362,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosantafesmostwanted View Post
A libertarian believes in the maximum freedom for the individual without negavtively impacting others.

California- If you have a cell phone law, why not have an eating law? an ipod law? why not ban fast food?

Why not have just a distracted driving law to cover all irresponsible behavior? In some states, like Maine, they have "reckless or distracted driving laws."
It drives me crazy to see these idiots on their cell phones while driving and not paying attention. I lay it into with the horn when they don't notice their light is green because they are busy texting their friends. Cellphones are ridiculous nowadays, and I completely agree with this law for one.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,143,943 times
Quote:
It is not comparable to eating or listening to the radio for example.
Show some research that shows talking on a cell phone is more disruptive while driving than eating while driving.

Using your cell-phone while driving is not illegal in California, rather using a cell-phone without a headset. Talking on a cell phone is no more disruptive than talking to your wife while you drive, the main problems come from not having your hands free. But there are a number of things people do in the car that restrict their hand movement:

- Eating in the car.
- Putting on make-up in the car.
- Putting on a new CD in your CD player

and so on.

Quote:
Your "maximum freedom", as regarding cell phone and texting
You are conveniently ignoring the rest of what he/she said. He said "Maximum freedom for the individual without negavtively impacting others."

The cell-phone issue is far from obvious, clearly to some degree it is disruptive and can cause more accidents. But so can numerous other things. If you are going to create laws against one, it makes little sense to create laws against others that are just as widely down. When you do this you are just trying to legislate behaviors, which reduces everyone's freedom.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
You need to do some serious research about driving while on a cell phone .
I am not denying. I simply think "distracted driving laws" are better than cell phone laws which discriminate on the basis of device.

It could be...

food
a pet
ipod
radio
someone in the car
driving with flip flops
reading while driving
watching tv while driving

Do we need 7 different laws? Why not just one?

The constitution is one page and has guided our court system over 200 years.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

2) This is bogus. How is lowering admissions standards for blacks and example of "qualified but got a bad shake". If that were how it worked then *poor* people of all colors would be admitted with lower entrance exam scores, right?

I might be wrong here, but that is not what affirmative action is. It is admitting a student or worker with similar abilities to the university or job. Where did you get this information? source please?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
1) I am guessing you don't own a gun? Why do you suggest taking away a responsible enthusiast's freedom even though it has no negative impact on you?
I own a few guns, and I am for gun control. I am also from Montana, and we make our own guns. But when I go to a gun show and see an AK-47 for sale with hardly any background checks (I could leave with it that day) as well as unlimited distribution of ammunition, even I can see there's something wrong with that.

You want to shoot an AK or any semi-automatic, then join the military. I don't need my meth-head neighbors having the ability to purchase a tool for murdering people thank you.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,748,479 times
Quote:

2.) How is a black person playing on an uneven field? btw, who's the president? Do you seriously think we have added votes to his final tally?
No, i do not have a gun ... kind of obvious.
Unfortunately, many, many, many gun owners are not "responsible enthusiasts" ... that should be obvious to anyone.

"How is a black person playing on an uneven field?"
Are you kidding?!!! You live in this country?

And that last sentence of yours ... i don't know what you're saying.
Care to re-word that so it's comprehensible?

That our president is African American shouldn't be used to back up the notion that racism does not exist in this country.
It most certainly does.
And how many people didn't vote for him? and how many people didn't vote for him 'cause he's black? lots!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,748,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
I own a few guns, and I am for gun control. I am also from Montana, and we make our own guns. But when I go to a gun show and see an AK-47 for sale with hardly any background checks (I could leave with it that day) as well as unlimited distribution of ammunition, even I can see there's something wrong with that.

You want to shoot an AK or any semi-automatic, then join the military. I don't need my meth-head neighbors having the ability to purchase a tool for murdering people thank you.
Good reply. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post

We aren't for giving criminals guns to go murder people! Background checks are a must! We are against over regulation and believe it is a responsible American's freedom to own a gun whether for recreation or for responsible self defense of his property.

No gang member should have a gun.

No illegal should have a gun.

No terrorist should have a gun.

No killer should have a gun.

But why keep guns from a law-abiding hunter in West Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies