Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Confederate Flag is a symbol of:
Racism, slavery, and segregation 129 49.62%
Southern culture, history, and freedom 131 50.38%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Harbor Lady, as given my status (back to work and mostly out of pocket) I don't have unlimited time to reply to each and every post which quotes me and/or asks questions/make demands.
Sorry if you feel I'm being demanding about getting on point, it's just that you've spent most of your limited time arguing with gibberish points from posters who don't know what the heck they're talking about. I think most know the difference. At least the ones that count. Right?

Quote:
You are sorely mistaken in your first sentence. These "reasons" have been given many times in many posts and on many threads. It is not our fault they are not read...
This thread is 40 odd pages now and I've read them all. Edit out the defensive arguments and blame, what is left?

Quote:
The "revert to blame language" you speak of as concerns the "North" is in reply to those who persist in believing (or have never learned different) that the South is the only part of the country which had slaves, were "guilty" of "racist" attitudes. And some really do embrace that false notion. It is along the lines of those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
I believe even northern posters were agreeing with you, so that argument was put to bed a long time ago. Some embracing that false notion mean to embrace it because they aren't willing to know different. That is true of a % of american population no matter the region. Archie Bunkers if you will.

Quote:
No, actually, I understood what you were saying in an earlier post, very well. You too -- apparently -- grew up on a lot of that (righteous North, evil South). The "prosecuting attorney" mentality I mentioned earlier revolves around that many who have a pathological hatred for the South and her history (and I realize you are not one of them) seem to think they have a sorta god-given right to demand we justify our past before some self-appointed board, yet will not accept that the other side -- if we play the "trial game" -- may question the credentials of the witness.
You aren't talking to someone with a pathological hatred of the south, and I knew that righteous north was BS and said so in forthcoming manner-- so what are you talking about? I asked a straightforward question. The hostility I experienced in south had nothing to do with me, I was just breathing. The hostility I've gotten in this thread also has nothing to do with me.

Quote:
Why would I think you are out to "get me"? To be honest, that sounds a little, wellllll, strange.
Indeed it is strange since there is a complete absence of malice on my side of things. Coincidence that it would be brought out by discussion of confederate flag? Perhaps now you'll see how you & others have defined that flag for objective observers without a vested interest in agenda.

Quote:
Geez! The answer has been presented many times. It is not my problem if you don't read it. To me, the Confederate Battle Flag (and the many other banners associated with the Confederate experience)-- in a nut-shell -- represents my Southern history and heritage, the fighting spirts of my ancestors. I mean, again, this has been posted many times and on many similar threads.

It is not I mind answering it but that mindset that seems to think I -- or anyone else -- has an obligation to keep repeating and justifying it. Nothing more complicated than all that.
I did read it but it rang up hollow. The south wasn't really an entity unto itself save for a brief alliance that occurred once upon a time. Moreover, that same fighting spirit was exhibited by both sides. Patriotism and establishing freedom was paramount to both sides. Both sides suffered and sacrificed. It's OUR heritage as one nation, has been, and remains OURS.

Quote:
The fact you may not understand and/or empathize with it is something is not my problem. And really, anyone who keeps asking is -- more than likely -- either being facitious/condecending...or would not understand the answer anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBmAPYkPeYU
That's not the fact for anyone but Archie Bunker, but it's a free country even for Archie.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
The Stars and Bars represent the south's commitment to the Tenth Amendment...

Get it? X < Ten... the Tenth Amendment

Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited to it by the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the People.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:21 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Cherry picking the constitution gets everyone in trouble. Bad idea to cherry pick, but admittedly a good amendment (just like the rest).

Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
By all means, do so. You're free to urinate in public. Just understand the consequences. And there's nowhere on earth where you or anyone else would ever be "free to do anything you wanted."
You would in an anarchy. Bring back anarchy.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 AM

Well, I think I said this before when the other guy that got deleted was here: you're only a "victim" if you choose to have a "victim" mentality. If you present yourself as an equal, you will be treated as one probably 95% of the time, if not more.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You would in an anarchy. Bring back anarchy.
For a second there I thought you were serious.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 AM

Any law restricts freedom--I'd prefer to live free.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 2,220 times
i think the flag could be racist and used to scare blacks.

im moving to alabama this june should i be concerned? i am nigerian

Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Sorry if you feel I'm being demanding about getting on point, it's just that you've spent most of your limited time arguing with gibberish points from posters who don't know what the heck they're talking about. I think most know the difference. At least the ones that count. Right?

So far as your straighforward question goes, can you repeat it. Perhaps I really did overlook it.

This thread is 40 odd pages now and I've read them all. Edit out the defensive arguments and blame, what is left?

I believe even northern posters were agreeing with you, so that argument was put to bed a long time ago. Some embracing that false notion mean to embrace it because they aren't willing to know different. That is true of a % of american population no matter the region. Archie Bunkers if you will.

You aren't talking to someone with a pathological hatred of the south, and I knew that righteous north was BS and said so in forthcoming manner-- so what are you talking about? I asked a straightforward question. The hostility I experienced in south had nothing to do with me, I was just breathing. The hostility I've gotten in this thread also has nothing to do with me.

Indeed it is strange since there is a complete absence of malice on my side of things. Coincidence that it would be brought out by discussion of confederate flag? Perhaps now you'll see how you & others have defined that flag for objective observers without a vested interest in agenda.

I did read it but it rang up hollow. The south wasn't really an entity unto itself save for a brief alliance that occurred once upon a time. Moreover, that same fighting spirit was exhibited by both sides. Patriotism and establishing freedom was paramount to both sides. Both sides suffered and sacrificed. It's OUR heritage as one nation, has been, and remains OURS.
Once again, no real time to reply today, but I do look forward to doing so later this evening, or over the weekend. For now, let me just say, in reading this over, I think we are both doing a lot of "talking past each other." Hopefully, that can be corrected soon.

Let me just quickly note a couple of things...

I did make it clear in my last post that I didn't put you in the class of those who have a pathological hatred/disdain for the South and her history/heritage. I was explaining why I reply as I do to those who do. As they say, the squeaky wheel get the grease!

Also, please repeat your "straightforward" question. It is possible I missed it, so thanks in advance.

Finally (for now), the Confederacy was an entity unto itself. It operated as a soveriegn nation -- with a formal constitution, laws, functional government, common-sense of purpose, etc. It wasn't officially recognized by foriegn powers, true...but Lincoln's war policy was to treat it as one (seperate nation) when it suited his aims, or a "section in rebellion" when it didn't.

Anyway, you seem to be suggesting that my own feelings for the Confederate experience and her symbols "ring hollow" because you don't see it as a Southern thing at all. Rather, a national thing. Which is fine...and I wish more non-Southerners felt that way. NOT...I hasten to add...that I am not proud of the South's unique history and culture -- and seperate identity --- because I very much am. I wouldn't have it any other way.

After all, the United States was never intended to be one bland amorphous entity. But soveriegn states bonded into a common and voluntary federal union, in which the main purpose of the central government was to protect the right of each to be itself.

But fact is, many do not take the outlook you do. Instead, as you say, they spout gibberish nonsense about treason, and nothing more than racist intentions, etc, ad nauseum (and I bet a high percentage of these folks could not -- without looking it up -- even say within which years it was fought).

BTW -- here is something which backs up your position a bit (or at least as I percieve it) in that the Confederate Battle Flag has a place in our common history as well:

WHEREAS, we, the members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, support the flying of the Confederate battle flag as a historical piece of this nation's history; and

SUVCW Battle Flag Resolution

Now then, back to work. And TGIF!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-05-2010 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflynotes View Post
i think the flag could be racist and used to scare blacks.

im moving to alabama this june should i be concerned? i am nigerian

You would be wise to avoid anyone displaying the rebel flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies