Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
either man was made by creation or a cosmic bang. I know of no other theories
The Big Bang had nothing to do with evolution, and for that matter, the creation of Earth either.

Also, you're right. Evolution does not discuss the origin of life. Abiogenesis does. And we've actually created the building blocks of life out of nothing in a laboratory setting similar to what it would have been in the early days of Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
The Big Bang had nothing to do with evolution, and for that matter, the creation of Earth either.

Also, you're right. Evolution does not discuss the origin of life. Abiogenesis does. And we've actually created the building blocks of life out of nothing in a laboratory setting similar to what it would have been in the early days of Earth.
Correct the Big Bang theory is quite different from the evolutionary theory.
Neither have proof of what the argon of life is.
So one must either believe in a creator, or believe in some cosmic mystery as a origin of life.
One is religious faith
one is scientific faith
Both must have faith

Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
So one must either believe in a creator, or believe in some cosmic mystery as a origin of life.
One is religious faith
one is scientific faith
Both must have faith
I'm tired of arguing with the Vincenzo Maculano's of this world.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
One is religious faith
one is scientific faith
Both must have faith
Science is the antithesis of faith. By definition science is "having knowledge, the state of knowing". Science is not emotional, but purely based in fact.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
One is religious faith
one is scientific faith
Both must have faith
Abiogenesis=/=The Big Bang. Two completely different theories. Abiogenesis may have a long ways off from being as proven as Evolution is, but we still have some proof, such as the afformentioned experiement.

And as for The Big Bang, it's pretty much as proven as Evolution.

There is no "faith" when it comes to science. Only experimentation, observation, and facts. We don't have to have "faith" that someone's writing about an imaginary man who created life from nothing is true, we've had experiments proving that scientific processes can create life from non-life.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
There is no "faith" when it comes to science.
Well, I don't know about that. We have believed a lot of things until we didn't believe them. Tuberculosis is a mental illness; oh, wait! Here's a bacteria that infects the lungs, etc. Stomach ulcers are a mental illness; ditto. Infertility is a mental illness; oh, wait, now we can induce ovulation, conceive babies in-vitro, etc.

When I was studying nursing in college, we had to memorize a list of "personality traits" of ulcer patients. This was in the late 60s/early 70s in a private, non-religious university, ie, not *that* long ago, and not in a religious nutcase enviromnent. Now we know that most cases of stomach ulcers are caused by bacteria.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
In your post you stated :

I can't think of any example in America were avowed Atheist politicans have held the levers of political power. Therefore, We have to look at other countries for examples of how atheists treat believer when the atheists are in power.

The closest thing we have to a community run with purely secular or aethistic values in america is college campuses. And there we get this:

Campus Christians: not always at ease / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

...And that's from the more even-handed CSM, I'll spare you the dozens of links to more strident Christain sites on the topic of anti-Christian & anti-religous discrimination in Academia.

So please, don't act like atheists in power treat the faithful well.
Now answer me this, how do you think Atheists would be treated on a Christian campus?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I don't know about that. We have believed a lot of things until we didn't believe them. Tuberculosis is a mental illness; oh, wait! Here's a bacteria that infects the lungs, etc. Stomach ulcers are a mental illness; ditto. Infertility is a mental illness; oh, wait, now we can induce ovulation, conceive babies in-vitro, etc.

When I was studying nursing in college, we had to memorize a list of "personality traits" of ulcer patients. This was in the late 60s/early 70s in a private, non-religious university, ie, not *that* long ago, and not in a religious nutcase enviromnent. Now we know that most cases of stomach ulcers are caused by bacteria.
The difference is that science learns from it's mistakes and lifts humanity up in the process.

Contrast that with religion and it's relentless and unchanging dogma. A sinner is still a sinner and you're still going to hell.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Now answer me this, how do you think Atheists would be treated on a Christian campus?
At the Christian school where my daughter went, it probably wouldn't even come up. College is a time for questioning beliefs.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Let me restate then:

There is no "faith" when it comes to modern science.

However, I will state that science is a never ending cycle of hypothesis/proof/theory/new proof/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies