Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,181 times

Advertisements

How is is that people who say they want less government like the far right want to regulate the rights of women and gay people?

It does not make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
The problem is that the Republican party was infiltrated by the Religious Right, Neo-Conservative movement who's goal was to use government to legislate (their) morality. These people are a mixed bag intellectually and philisophically, some claim to want smaller government but truthfully, most don't know what that actually means.

So, in part, you're right, but in part, you're judging actual fiscal conservatives/small government Republicans by the example set by politically-ignorant Neo-Conservatives and that's unfair to real Republicans.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
I'm not middle of the road socially, pretty far right fiscally. Gay people deserve all the rights non-gay people have. Women deserve all the rights men have. Men are not allowed to kill unborn babies (you can actually be charged with the death of unborn children), why should women? I can actually go along with abortion in the very early stages, but once the baby has a heartbeat, brain, and functioning organs and could survive out of the womb, its murder, plain and simple.

The government does regulate men's choices in life. I would like to use steroids. I cannot because of government legislation (thanks to McCain and Biden). If a woman decides she is not a woman, but a man stuck in a woman's body, she can get steroids for the rest of her life.

So I know all about choice being regulated and not being able to do what I want with my body. Don't preach to me as if I don't.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I'm not middle of the road socially, pretty far right fiscally. Gay people deserve all the rights non-gay people have. Women deserve all the rights men have. Men are not allowed to kill unborn babies (you can actually be charged with the death of unborn children), why should women? I can actually go along with abortion in the very early stages, but once the baby has a heartbeat, brain, and functioning organs and could survive out of the womb, its murder, plain and simple.

The government does regulate men's choices in life. I would like to use steroids. I cannot because of government legislation (thanks to McCain and Biden). If a woman decides she is not a woman, but a man stuck in a woman's body, she can get steroids for the rest of her life.

So I know all about choice being regulated and not being able to do what I want with my body. Don't preach to me as if I don't.

COMPARING RECREATIONAL STEROID USE TO PRO CHOICE IS RIDICULOUS!

I got steroid injections in my hands after an injury, it was the only pain remedy available to me. LEGAL steroids are very much a part of modern medicine.

Forcing woman to have children they do not want is too much interference from the government. Many women died before Roe V Wade because they could not get an abortion. I had a neighbor who died trying to get rid of a child she did not want from a man who raped her and she was terrified of telling her husband, before Roe V Wade.

I do not preach, I am only stating the facts. These things cannot be compared.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
The right wing is just that, a right wing. They are not true conservatives in that they want govt. to get involved, just on their side. They do not believe in less govt, otherwise, they would be libertarian, but they can't stomach that.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
I think most Republicans want less Government with Economic issues (lower taxes, less regulation). Regulation caused the mortgage mess more than "greedy" bankers. People forget this.

We need to remove abortion from political arguments. Lets just move on. I am against abortion and KNOW it is wrong.... but will gladly vote for a pro choice candidate if he will be fiscally responsible. As a man, can I ever really say that a woman cannot terminate her pregnancy? Not really.

Same with gay marriage. I am against. Marriage has been between a man and a woman for 1,000s of years. This is what I believe. But.... when my co worker wants to marry her partner and tells me she feels it is her civil right and is completely passionate about this, should I really "fight" to stop this?

I am not so sure.

I wish the right and left could find common ground on economic issues and let everything else go!! The debates and the arguments stop progress.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM

I wish the right and left could find common ground on economic issues and let everything else go!! The debates and the arguments stop progress.

That is what I would like to see as well! Thank you for that.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Another clueless posting.. Neither one is less government.. they are less federal government.. pro state government..

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Another clueless posting.. Neither one is less government.. they are less federal government.. pro state government..
That is a clueless statement- if you do not see the relationship than you are in denial of the hypocrisy of the far right who yell less government yet deny gay rights and pro choice.

These things are fundamental to liberty and should not be regulated by the government-federal or otherwise.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bigger state government?! That's ridiculous, it's six of one/half a dozen of the other, only worse without blanket constitutional protections and the various fed agencies that -- sorry -- exist to protect you. And it wouldnt make right wingers any happier.

The OP post - what does make right wingers happy is punishing people for having sex, IMO. The goal of the anti-abortion people isnt so much to save the babies -- you dont see them lining up outside inner city clinics offering to pay the mom for 18 years to have and raise her baby to adulthood -- as it is to make AB illegal. Regarding those who rail about same-sex marriage/gay sex, I think they just cant stop thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies