Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times

Advertisements

British sniper avenges his friend by killing Taliban - Telegraph

Quote:
"Fusilier Martin Williams described shooting the insurgents as a “vendetta” against those who killed his friend Robert Hunt, who was the 200th soldier to die in Afghanistan.

For nine hours without a break he manned a compound rooftop with a few sandbags hiding his position as he picked off the enemy.

His skills were put to the test when his patrol came under fire after it moved into a compound in an area north of Lashkar Gah in central Helmand last Monday. He took up his position and waited patiently for enemy troops to appear. His victims included two Taliban shot in a ditch at a distance of about 800 yards, including one who was hit in the throat."
I wish I knew this guy so I could buy him a beer and shake his hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Sweet!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,168,163 times
Awesome!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 AM

731 posts, read 776,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
British sniper avenges his friend by killing Taliban - Telegraph

I wish I knew this guy so I could buy him a beer and shake his hand.
Is that an accomplishment for you? This is a pointless war because whatever these soldiers do, the outcome would be the same, Afghanistan is the 2nd Vietnam. Hundreds of people are getting displaced today in Helmand because of NATO/US moving in there to fight the Taliban, i thought these people were going to get a better life, others are dying from hunger, bombardments, etc. what happend to al-qaeda who were considered the real threat in 2001? Nothing because the U.S. wanted a reason to invade Afghanistan.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
Is that an accomplishment for you? This is a pointless war because whatever these soldiers do, the outcome would be the same, Afghanistan is the 2nd Vietnam. Hundreds of people are getting displaced today in Helmand because of NATO/US moving in there to fight the Taliban, i thought these people were going to get a better life, others are dying from hunger, bombardments, etc. what happend to al-qaeda who were considered the real threat in 2001? Nothing because the U.S. wanted a reason to invade Afghanistan.
You bet I think this is an accomplishment. In the upcoming assault I hope this guy adds to his kills by scores more. What I find disturbing is that you apparently are unable appreciate the nature of the evil the Taliban represent.

People get displaced in war. And sometimes life gets worse before it gets better in war. That's just the way it is. At least these people were given the opportunity to bug out. I'm positive they prefer it to living under Taliban rule.

Regarding the US invasion of Afghanistan: Why would any country want to claim that hell hole? We ousted the Taliban because they provided aid, comfort and material to those who attacked us on 9-11. We should have exterminated them totally but we didn't so we have to at least attempt to do so now. But with people who think like you making policy I have my doubts that we'll ever succeed in that endeavor.

I really doubt you can discern right from wrong. I suspect you're one of those who makes their own morality based on what feels good to you at the moment. So I'll just leave you with this: "For those that will fight for it freedom has a flavor the protected shall never know." That thought applies to people like you.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
We are in Afghanistan so what ever oil company develops the mid Asian oil fields only has to buy (bribe) one set of politicians to protect the pipelines. This will never happen because Afghanistan has never had an effective central government and they apparently like it that way. I suggest we just get out and let the pipeline owners buy protection from all the tribal leaders whose territory the line crosses.

Freedom and democracy, Let alone women’s rights, have absolutely nothing to do with our involvement.

OP – Snipers are a very strange breed because their form of warfare is much closer to cold blooded murder than getting into a fire fight.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
Don't forget about the starving children in Africa.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We are in Afghanistan so what ever oil company develops the mid Asian oil fields only has to buy (bribe) one set of politicians to protect the pipelines. This will never happen because Afghanistan has never had an effective central government and they apparently like it that way. I suggest we just get out and let the pipeline owners buy protection from all the tribal leaders whose territory the line crosses.

Freedom and democracy, Let alone women’s rights, have absolutely nothing to do with our involvement.

OP – Snipers are a very strange breed because their form of warfare is much closer to cold blooded murder than getting into a fire fight.
..and what do you call it when a president orders the shooting deaths of teenage Somali pirates from 10,000 miles away, or giving the go ahead to launch missiles from a unmanned drone into a village, is that compassionate murder?

You are not as insightful or witty as you think.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
One shot, one kill.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

And you know this due to your extensive knowledge of the Military? Your years in uniform? Or due to some 1 hour TV show?
NO what makes a Sniper a breed apart is not that it is closer to murder.
It is due to the operating conditions of the job. They normally work with a spotter, from a hide. They are on their own for extended periods of time. Normally behind enemy lines. No easy path in or out. It takes a special warrior to meet this challenge. This is a skilled marksman that shoots with confidence at ranges the average shooter can only dream about.
You belittle the art and the individual. When you can hit what you am at consistantly at ranges of 800 meters and beyond then you have earned the right to discuss what they do intellegently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies