Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Or like the Dems did just recently to keep the restrictions in place?

We can't purchase Rx in Canada, and you can no longer blame it on Bush.
It was, I believe, part of the deal struck to get Obamacare pushed through.
For our benefit, of course.
I wouldn't put it past some Dems.. but, got a source? Especially with this Obamacare deal claim?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
tax all products un-nutritiously high in processed sugar, sodium, fructose corn syrup; tax McDonald's, Dominoes, BK and all the fast food chains; slap a big fat juicy tax on the firearms industry; and for good measure the producers and users of pollutants in our environment.

Cost of universal health care solved.

There is another glaring example that the myth of capitalism and free markets is really a sham.

This industry is actually oligopoly that begs for and receives government bailouts. Why doesn't any scream and shout about these corporate welfare queens milking the system out of tax payer money?

There shenanigans have a direct impact on the nation's health.

Those that make statements about national security should investigate the posted links.

Yay! More taxes! I can't wait to give more of what little money I have to the gov't. USA!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yay! More taxes! I can't wait to give more of what little money I have to the gov't. USA!
Do you realize you're tax dollars are already going to farm subsidies and bailouts to produce high fructose corn syrup products that are super sizing and killing Americans?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I wouldn't put it past some Dems.. but, got a source? Especially with this Obamacare deal claim?
As I recall there was a bipartisan amendment to allow importation from Canada, but a couple of dems blocked the amendment, Harry Reid couldn't get the 60 votes he needed to push it through, and a back room deal with Big Pharma (that they would support Healthcare in return) killed it.

Why Big Pharma gets exactly what they want:
YouTube - Drug Firms Lobby Hard to Fight Health Care Reform

NPR: There are far more people in Washington representing the big drug companies than there are members of Congress working on the healthcare bill. The Pharma lobby is HUGE, and during one critical 3-month period of the Healthcare debate they spent roughly $3 million dollars each week on their lobbying efforts.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
As I recall there was a bipartisan amendment to allow importation from Canada, but a couple of dems blocked the amendment, Harry Reid couldn't get the 60 votes he needed to push it through, and a back room deal with Big Pharma (that they would support Healthcare in return) killed it.

Why Big Pharma gets exactly what they want:

YouTube - Drug Firms Lobby Hard to Fight Health Care Reform

NPR: There are far more people in Washington representing the big drug companies than there are members of Congress working on the healthcare bill. The Pharma lobby is HUGE, and during one critical 3-month period of the Healthcare debate they spent roughly $3 million dollars each week on their lobbying efforts.
"A couple of dems"? All those republicans who also voted against it get a pass from you?

Anyway, regardless of the national committee they are a part of, we need to vote out anyone who makes back door deals with lobbyists. We need to somehow end the power that lobbyist money has on representatives' decisions.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
"A couple of dems"? All those republicans who also voted against it get a pass from you?

Anyway, regardless of the national committee they are a part of, we need to vote out anyone who makes back door deals with lobbyists. We need to somehow end the power that lobbyist money has on representatives' decisions.
Nobody gets a pass, but it was two dems who brought the amendment to a halt and Reid couldn't get the votes needed -- not even from his own party -- to pass it.

I agree - Catering to special interests is something that has to be eliminated. Unfortunately, it's a way of life in D.C. and the politicians are entrenched in it. Such habits are hard to break. I'm all for a bill to put an end to "career" politicians so that we can have a regular, healthy turnover in Congress.

Obama promised he'd put an end to favoritism and special interests. It was a hopeful sign, something we could all look forward to.

So much for that. Obama's got to go too, and he can take Pelosi and Reid with him.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Do you realize you're tax dollars are already going to farm subsidies and bailouts to produce high fructose corn syrup products that are super sizing and killing Americans?
Yes I do, and it's absurd.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Nobody gets a pass, but it was two dems who brought the amendment to a halt and Reid couldn't get the votes needed -- not even from his own party -- to pass it.
You mean this? U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Looks like 49 senators blocked it, with a fairly even mix of (D)s and (R)s.

Quote:
I agree - Catering to special interests is something that has to be eliminated. Unfortunately, it's a way of life in D.C. and the politicians are entrenched in it. Such habits are hard to break. I'm all for a bill to put an end to "career" politicians so that we can have a regular, healthy turnover in Congress.

Obama promised he'd put an end to favoritism and special interests. It was a hopeful sign, something we could all look forward to.

So much for that. Obama's got to go too, and he can take Pelosi and Reid with him.
Do you have a list of (R)s as well that have got to go?

There's a good list in the link above..

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:

Bet'cha they're handing out free samples to Congress.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
If every American gets health care, that is "universal health care". All the cost of it comes out of our national wealth.

Do you think that if private insurance companies mail the check, somehow the American people do not pay for it out of our national wealth? What does it matter if private companies, or the government, or the tooth fairy, take the same $1.2-trillion from the people and pay it to the health care industry?

If we do NOT have universal health care, which Americans do you think should be excluded from it, and left to die on the hospital steps, their unsightly bodies carted away to mass graves under cover of darkness, so the streets remain uncluttered to your innocent eyes as you drink your coffee in the morning sunshine of your bee-loud glade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies