Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Everybody says they would've stepped in and helped...from behind their computer screens. I wonder how many actually would've done so if they were really there.
I would have - because I have done so before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Everybody says they would've stepped in and helped...from behind their computer screens. I wonder how many actually would've done so if they were really there.
I've already been put to that test several times and I've always helped. I was one of a few fortunate individuals to show up with a knife at a gunfight, and come out ahead.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 AM

530 posts, read 780,015 times
Quote:
I have stepped in before, and I had some nice guys step in for me once it makes me happy that there seem to be a few people who are willing to help others in situations like this.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
I pulled a gun on a guy beating a girl in a parking lot once and told him to stop or I'd shoot him....He stopped...

Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 PM

278 posts, read 802,591 times
Quote:
Those of us who say we would jump in and help have this view because we have actually done it in the past.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
I don't understand why they had security guards in the first place? Does the Seattle transit system not have it's own police force or dedicated division from the Seattle Police Dept or the King County Sheriff's Dept? Here our train stations, bus depots, and subway stations are patrolled by armed MTA Police and NYC Transit Police ... no unarmed cowardly security guards.

If 3 grown men can't handle a bunch of teenage girls then something is seriously wrong.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:05 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I am a security guard, and we are specifically told to not to step in. The only thing different I would done differently is helped the girl AFTER the attack. We had an instance were a girl was being assaulted by another male employee. The guard did the right thing and called the police immediately. My boss has specifically said that we are here to watch the property, not people.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am a security guard, and we are specifically told to not to step in. The only thing different I would done differently is helped the girl AFTER the attack. We had an instance were a girl was being assaulted by another male employee. The guard did the right thing and called the police immediately. My boss has specifically said that we are here to watch the property, not people.
Then, and no offense - you are worthless as a security guard.

If someone is getting hurt - being attacked - and you just stood around and watched it happen, really - what good are you? Nothing as I said.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Then, and no offense - you are worthless as a security guard.

If someone is getting hurt - being attacked - and you just stood around and watched it happen, really - what good are you? Nothing as I said.
Greatday,

I also posted this in the politics section. I work for a high end IT company, so attacks are few and far between. The client wants us there only for property protection. Our company and the client have specifically told us not to get involved but to rather call the police immediately. As I said we did have an attack with one employee onto another, and it was pretty brutal as this guy was punching the girl. Thankfully, I was not the guard on duty. As to your comment about being worthless as a guard, you are incorrect here. I have thwarted many car thefts. I have also prevented people who were going to break into the building. That is what I am paid to do, and I do it.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,048 times
Duty to rescue???From Wiki

"Contrary to common law, eight states have laws requiring people to help strangers in peril:

Florida,[10] Massachusetts,[11] Minnesota,[11] Ohio,[statute verification needed] Rhode Island,[11] Vermont,[11] Washington,[11] and Wisconsin.[statute verification needed] These laws are also referred to as Good Samaritan laws, despite their difference from laws of the same name that protect individuals that try to help another person."[1]

Unfortunately.

"These laws are rarely applied, and are generally ignored by citizens and lawmakers."[1]

I would hope most people would choose to help, especially when someone is laying on the ground being repeatedly kicked in the head. I think the only moral thing to do is to help! And then take your chances that a court and a judge would back up what you thought was necessary to save someone in peril. I can't believe people can be so callous as to stand by and watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies