Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 AM

181 posts, read 338,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How about self-sufficiency? I don't expect any help, so why would I give it? Not only wouldn't I expect help, I would not WANT it. I take care of my own problems my own way--by myself. I don't rely on other people. Other people are unreliable.
You have evolved from human to machine. Congratulations......

PS, You are the "other people."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
No, I'm not the "other people"--I know I can rely on myself.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Why should someone get involved in something that quite frankly isn't any of their business? MYOB.
that is a very sad statement.

it is your business as a human being, allegedly higher on the evolutionary scale from the lower life forms, to try to render some sort of aid to a defenseless person being brutalized.

i don't think that anyone expects one person to jump in on several people attacking, (other than to call for help) but there were 3 security guards and they are just stupid if they go to work without some sort of defensive weapon. (whether it is a taser, mace, gun, etc.)

Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
I doubt even 5% of the population would have stepped in. Why would you put yourself in the path of 3 nutbags going berzerk. Yes it's terrible, but they will probably turn on you thinking you're on the victim's side. We're not dealing with rational people here. In which case there will be 2 people critically injured.

And thanks to most gun laws in this country you cannot legally pull out a gun and threaten them to stop. Much less shoot them. Even though that is what should have happened.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Why should someone get involved in something that quite frankly isn't any of their business? MYOB.
I interceded in a supermarket when a junkie mother was beating her daughter in the head with an umbrella. The store manager didn't want a fuss, settled for asking her to leave. I refused to budge one inch away from that girl and insisted they call the police.
No, I'm not looking the other way. Yes, it's everyones business when authority is abused. Yes, I was abused by police detaining me for over an hour, with snide comments that I had interfered with parental rights to discipline her child. Beating an 11yr old on the head when she's crouching to the ground bleeding is not discipline and I threatened the cops with civilian complaint board if they didn't call CPS.

Any man that would walk away from that isn't a man.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure this was mentioned already. I don't agree with their inaction but they have been probably told not interfere, here's a possible scenario. Consider a moment if there is no video camera...

The guards interferes with first assailant and she gets knocked to ground and hits her head severely causing her to go unconscious and get a severe concussion. Then he gets attacked by the other group of teens. When the police arrive he'll end up getting arrested for over reacting and assaulting the poor victim and it will be him on the news because he "assaulted" a fifteen year old girl and the media will play it up with interview of her from the hospital and calling for his head on a platter.

He'll get sued as will the company he works for and the girl collects a couple million..... His life is ruined because he tried to play the hero.

Now again I don't agree with the inaction but this is the world we live in, if you put your hands on someone else you're really taking a risk and you better have a damn good reason to do it especially if they are minor.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
That may be one of the saddest videos I have ever seen. As someone else stated, how do these three "men" sleep at night? Contract, or no contract, I could never stand by and allow this to happen to anyone. I am a woman and I would have definitely tried to stop it, or help defend that poor girl. They even allowed them to come back and stomp on her face, WTF? This is humanity at its lowest, in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:21 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure this was mentioned already. I don't agree with their inaction but they have been probably told not interfere, here's a possible scenario. Consider a moment if there is no video camera...
The guards interferes with first assailant and she gets knocked to ground and hits her head severely causing her to go unconscious and get a severe concussion. Then he gets attacked by the other group of teens. When the police arrive he'll end up getting arrested for over reacting and assaulting the poor victim and it will be him on the news because he "assaulted" a fifteen year old girl and the media will play it up with interview of her from the hospital and calling for his head on a platter.
He'll get sued as will the company he works for and the girl collects a couple million..... His life is ruined because he tried to play the hero.
Now again I don't agree with the inaction but this is the world we live in, if you put your hands on someone else you're really taking a risk and you better have a damn good reason to do it especially if they are minor.
Dude, the girl pointed the people out to the security guards, the three could have formed a cirlce around her to defend her and called for back up, and nobody would have gotten hurt. This is pathetic. I guess I wuld have taken my chances that witnesses would take my side to the authorities.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Dude, the girl pointed the people out to the security guards, the three could have formed a cirlce around her to defend her and called for back up, and nobody would have gotten hurt. This is pathetic. I guess I wuld have taken my chances that witnesses would take my side to the authorities.
I'm not defending there inaction but having been there done that I'm just trying to point out the things they face. I was in similar situation, a bunch of kids vandalized our house and we caught them. The kid started swinging at me and I had to take him to the ground so I didn't get hit. I was within inches of nailing him but didn't do it, good thing because I proabaly would have went to jail. His buddy was getting ready to pop me in the back of the head but luckily my father was there to stop him. When the cops showed up they were considering arresting me mostly because he was minor.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not defending there inaction but having been there done that I'm just trying to point out the things they face. I was in similar situation, a bunch of kids vandalized our house and we caught them. The kid started swinging at me and I had to take him to the ground so I didn't get hit. I was within inches of nailing him but didn't do it, good thing because I proabaly would have went to jail. His buddy was getting ready to pop me in the back of the head but luckily my father was there to stop him. When the cops showed up they were considering arresting me mostly because he was minor.
Exactly. I'll bet most of the bystanders and guards were more worried about what was legal/illegal and how much jailtime they'd spend for doing the right thing. Can you imagine if somebody whipped out a gun and shot at one of the attackers? And killed them?? Jail time for sure. Thankyou, Democrats and Trial Lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies