Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Are you trying to twist things to distract from the issue? She took the class because it was required to complete her degree. The only thing self-fuiifilling would be the class to work towards her degree.
Your little friend could have picked from a number of universities where there isn't such a requirement. Sounds like your friend should have exercised her brain and agency while picking a school; she could have found one that better suited her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I don't need anything self-fullfilled. I already know what those intolerant haters, spewing their propaganda ...
Pot meet kettle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,094,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Your little friend could have picked from a number of universities where there isn't such a requirement. Sounds like your friend should have exercised her brain and agency while picking a school; she could have found one that better suited her.

Pot meet kettle.

Are yoy saying she should chose a different university because of of one class that she will have to take no matter where she is? She should just uproot her family and move or do you think this nasty intolerant prof. should start acting like a prof? Do you think everyone is a seer and knows the temperment and views of every prof. BEFORE they have a class with them? Are you serious? Do you think anyone else should be excercising their brain in this conversation?

Again liberalism is is is is IS a mental disease. Common sense is a great big void in their brains!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,910,479 times
Are you trying to twist things to distract from the issue? She took the class because it was required to complete her degree. The only thing self-fuiifilling would be the class to work towards her degree.

No, I'm not. You can have expectations of a class. Upon entering Organic Chemistry, I EXPECTED it to be hard. For History of the Atomic Age, I EXPECTED it to be critical of both the US and the US. It's quite normal. However, the difference is that some people then check their expectations at the door and try to remain neutral in order to learn. O-Chem wasn't that hard. History of the Atomic Age was more a policy class and less a class on any moral critique.

I don't need anything self-fullfilled. I already know what those intolerant haters, spewing their propaganda at the expense of young minds are all about. I only learned about her taking the class after her experiance. I am begging her to expose these hate filled classes that people are forced to attend to get their degree.

Really? You know all this from her remark. Your expectations will lead to a self-fullfilled prophesy. You expect to seek people "spewing their propoganda" thus, you will seek ANY little shred to convince yourself that this is true.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
According to the results of this study that answer may well be Yep, Yep and yep. It seems that those with degrees are more likely to believe in same sex marriage and a number of things that you need to read to the end of the article to see all of.

CNSNews.com - College Professors Are More Likely to Believe ‘Ten Commandments are Irrelevant Today,' New Study Says (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=61703 - broken link)
I think it does to some degree, where you went to college and when also plays a part. At least in my opinion...

NIta

Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Not really...

There are a significant number of morons who have college degrees who simply regurgatated what they read in a book picked by instructors onto a scantron

At the same time, there are some really bright individuals with college degrees.

It all has to do with the person. Does the person want to do nothing more than get a degree or does the person actually want to LEARN SOMETHING
Yes- I think age and maturity have alot to do with this scenerio.
Many students are not ready for college at 18 years old.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,910,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it does to some degree, where you went to college and when also plays a part. At least in my opinion...

NIta
True, there are schools with "conservative indoctrination".

Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,986,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I agree with this mostly (except the part about the right not being anti-intellectual... just watch a Fox news anchor pander to the idiocracy for a few and you'll agree with me "I didn't know what it meant... So I looked it up..." Puh-Leese!).

However whether or not someone goes to college is TOO often about opportunity. That's why I support programs that give lower SES, qualified high school graduates the opportunity to go to college. Would you join me in supporting these social programs that will better society?

While going to college is not necessarily and indication of intelligence, one has to have a degree of intelligence (and the fortitude) to do the work to graduate from most colleges. While there they will inevitably gain skills and knowledge that will benefit them. It is not inherent intelligence that I referred to in my earlier post about critical thinking. It is a skill developed well in a university or college setting.

I hope you will join me in in increasing opportunities for poor and minority students to go to and complete college with a greater degree of frequency.
I would NOT join you in supporting social programs that would better society by sending them to college. I personally believe that too much emphasis is put on attending college, and not enough emphasis is put on getting an education and/or learning a trade. I WOULD support programs that give EVERYONE more opportunity to learn a skill that translates into a career.

I agree that you won't do well in college without some intelligence, you can also be intelligent and do well in life without attending college. I think critical thinking skills can be developed anywhere.

I also think that colleges foster an environment that allows a certain type of "intelligence" to excel. It's about grades, and there are people that just have the ability to get good grades. I attended 3 years of college before dropping out because of lack of money, and knowing that the education that I was receiving wasn't going to help me in the career I was pursuing (I ended up in a trade school, and learning on my own.) I got excellent grades in college because I am very good at taking tests and writing papers. Those things are very easy for me, and if I had the financial means, I would have graduated with very little difficulty. Am I less or more intelligent because of a piece of paper? No. Is my brother, who struggles with tests and writing papers, and never attended college, less intelligent than me? Not even close.

And I strongly disapprove of programs that only target poor and minorities for college - that is unfair and racist.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

NIta
Anyone with the ability to reason, at all, should be able to understand that someone as old as I am attended college in the 1950s and there weren't many really liberal professors around then. Most of the ones I ever knew were completely in favor of stopping communism in its tracks at that time. Most of them never talked about same sex marriage because nobody talked about that back then.

I think that if most of the people here could read that article in its completeness may be able to understand that many of the things they didn't want to see are dealt with in an unbiased manner at the end of the article.

I posted this thing for one purpose and that was to see how many people would read the whole thing and then be able to see the things that took away the bias at the end of it. Obviously, you cheated and read the whole thing. There are a few like you that do that but not many. Thanks for seeing what I was trying to say.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I would NOT join you in supporting social programs that would better society by sending them to college. I personally believe that too much emphasis is put on attending college, and not enough emphasis is put on getting an education and/or learning a trade. I WOULD support programs that give EVERYONE more opportunity to learn a skill that translates into a career.

I agree that you won't do well in college without some intelligence, you can also be intelligent and do well in life without attending college. I think critical thinking skills can be developed anywhere.

I also think that colleges foster an environment that allows a certain type of "intelligence" to excel. It's about grades, and there are people that just have the ability to get good grades. I attended 3 years of college before dropping out because of lack of money, and knowing that the education that I was receiving wasn't going to help me in the career I was pursuing (I ended up in a trade school, and learning on my own.) I got excellent grades in college because I am very good at taking tests and writing papers. Those things are very easy for me, and if I had the financial means, I would have graduated with very little difficulty. Am I less or more intelligent because of a piece of paper? No. Is my brother, who struggles with tests and writing papers, and never attended college, less intelligent than me? Not even close.

And I strongly disapprove of programs that only target poor and minorities for college - that is unfair and racist.

I agree with the above . A far great percentage of Americans would benefit more from a Trade School Degree, rather than one from a University. Learning basic skills for a specific job is far more important than being able to BS your way through an English Mid-term for the average American. The casting aside of those who could truely take advantage of a college education, concerning scholarships, in favor of hitting a racial quota is wrong,useless and wasteful.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:38 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
True, there are schools with "conservative indoctrination".
I think you are able to see what you said but then I wonder how many of those schools there are. When I went to college in the early 1950s nearly all of them were like that but then most of our people were like that back then, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies