Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I saw on the news this morning that they are going to use Tili in shows again? WTF? This whale has been involved in the death of three people! That's just not safe.

I suppose he's too accustomed to getting fed to be released back into the wild? He should not be in shows anymore, imo. The exact same thing could happen. He should either be kept away from humans or put down.
it also says something about the trainer who worked with whale she must of knew the history but she got in the tank with him anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,182 times
It's a killer whale. What the hell did they think was going to happen? It's called KILLER for a reason. It kills. Sheesh.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Pets should be domesticated animals, with an exception for fish and turtles.
I agree for the most part. I'd allow reptiles also, and insects or bugs.

I'm even all for getting rid of zoos. Wild animals don't belong in captivity for our pleasure or entertainment. But, I support captivity programs that work towards preservation, such as breeding endangered species in a safe, controlled environ.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I saw on the news this morning that they are going to use Tili in shows again? WTF? This whale has been involved in the death of three people! That's just not safe.
I suppose he's too accustomed to getting fed to be released back into the wild? He should not be in shows anymore, imo. The exact same thing could happen. He should either be kept away from humans or put down.
He's going to counseling first, with Dr. Phil. Then treated with anti-anxiety pills, and he should be fine.

Then he'll get the green light to perform and make Sea World richer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And Whale watching is a lot gentler on the Whale than imprisonment , even with the companies who tend to crowd the Whales and bother their feeding for example. You can't compare Whale watching to putting animals in a tiny aquarium. It's not even in the same planet of a league in terms of harm to the animals.
Totally agree.

1. Sea World. The whale is removed from its natural habitat.

2. Whale watching. You go bother him in his natural habitat.

Neither are good, but #2 is the lesser of two evils...I guess.

Quote:
2. Not from Zoos. I hated Zoos even as a kid ( and circuses ) and asked my Grand-Parents never to take me again after they took me there. It made me cry both with sadness but with rage that the animals there we caged and used to amuse me. I remember looking at a Bear and bursting into tears because he looked so unhappy . I was the kid who was hoping the tiger would eat the tamer in the circus on the two occasions I was taken there. I remember how angry I was that a seal was dressed up as a clown and made to throw balls into the air.
Wow. You wanted these animals to bite humans? Not nice.

You may have some Dr. Dolittle skills, to see and feel a Bear's sadness.

Quote:
You do not have to see a Giraffe in the flesh to learn how beautiful and graceful they are . Nowadays there are NO reasons for zoos, we have books, TV, and DVDs.
Well, human curiousity will not allow us to just experience certain things we see in books, TV and DVDs.

It's like telling people not to visit Europe or the Statue of Liberty, because it's all in books, magazines, on TV etc.

In theory I agree, that yes, we can learn from books, DVDS and other instructional methods, but it takes away from the actual experience. So zoos, Sea World and Safaris will not cease to exist any time soon.

I think the owners of such establishments and workers/trainers are willing to continue risking their lives to keep these money making experiences alive.

They're not going anywhere. If you want to quantify things, they're betting that, the amount of deaths that occur in these environments is too low versus shutting them down and affecting local economies, and reducing attraction activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. I don't see either hanging or the electric chair as workable options.

Firing squad?
You're tooo funny!!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I agree for the most part. I'd allow reptiles also, and insects or bugs.

I'm even all for getting rid of zoos. Wild animals don't belong in captivity for our pleasure or entertainment. But, I support captivity programs that work towards preservation, such as breeding endangered species in a safe, controlled environ.

No reptiles. They should be removed from all forms of human life (I hate these ****ers). I spend time in Florida, and it's sad to see people order these Pythons, and Boas and keep them as pets. They feed these ****kers, then release them into the wild, which to begin with, is not their natural habitat. They become invasive predators, destroying the ecosystem.

There's a big problem in the South with Pythons and Boas. They are affecting the Everglades. They're trying to work on the problem. Irresponsible Snake and other reptile owners should face severe fines, and jail time.

Zoos aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. That, I can bet on. The public seems to be so fascinated by wild animals, and it's a cash machine.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 PM

281 posts, read 446,944 times
Good, perhaps this is a wake-up call for marine parks everywhere, although I'm sure they will think this is somehow the whale's fault and not the trainer's.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not if they are Humpbacks.

(I'm sorry but you left the door wide open!)

LMAO
Yes I did...wonder if you could cross it with a Sperm whale too?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
I've never heard of people getting killed by whales out at sea. Don't know if whale watching includes orcas. Many types of whales migrate from Alaska to Baja California so people go out in boats to watch the whales swim by. These whales don't jump up and pull people into the sea like the orca did at Sea World. Have orcas ever killed humans like sharks do?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
I imagine the wrongful death lawyers are salivating now waiting for this Orca to kill someone else.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I am sure the people that do it for 15 minutes of fame like it but I doubt the whales do.They are natural kilers and its said their fins show they are bascially caged circus performers and know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies