Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:28 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,453,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Can't they do this now? Can't kids pause and take a moment of reflection during their school day?

I am talking about organized school prayer....
No not in my children school. They don't have a set time to just reflect. I know no one that is pushing for organized prayer in school. I am a Christian and I am not going to lie, I would be thrilled if the day was started out with a prayer but I would never push for it, I would never expect it to happen because it is not ok to have people of different faiths subjected to forced prayer of a different faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,254,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post
This thread is about prayer organized by the school. There's nothing wrong with independent prayer but as soon as the school system gets involved it becomes a problem.

Try to imagine the uproar that would occur if a Muslim principal decided to read from the Qur'an during an assembly.
There was a liberal school district that would never allow christian prayers, but made kids read koranic verses, because that was "diversity"

Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM

41,458 posts, read 59,955,629 times
A moment of silence and reflection is an adequate form of school prayer. As I was raised as an atheist having to recite the "Lord's Prayer" on a daily bases for 8 years was a bit annoying. Besides, schools do not need to officially support any form of prayer. Final exams do a fairly good job. Pregnancy tests for the high school kids are another encouragement to sincere prayer.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,692,940 times
Who still advocates for christian prayer in school?

Can anybody even source something that backs this up?

This entire posts seems like nothing more than a hypothetical situation being used as a method to flame christians.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Cyber Queen, they "prayer in schools" when I went was readings out of the King James Bible.

Can you imagine the backlash if quotes from the Koran were read in school???

It's naive to think when "prayer in schools" is referenced, it means anything but Christian prayer.

I'm sorry please forgive me but I am a bit confused at what you wrote here. Every religion prays so no it is not "assumed". We do not have prayer in public schools and we never will so I am unsure what you have an issue with. Do you want us to look at it from a hypotical position? If that is he case then no I would not want the Koran read to my child in a way that was meant to be religious and not educational.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,179,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
There was a liberal school district that would never allow christian prayers, but made kids read koranic verses, because that was "diversity"
Where / when? Citation? Or is this just baloney?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post
This thread is about prayer organized by the school. There's nothing wrong with independent prayer but as soon as the school system gets involved it becomes a problem.

Try to imagine the uproar that would occur if a Muslim principal decided to read from the Qur'an during an assembly.
Yes but it is a false issue because there is NOT organized prayer in public schools. There is nothing to debate because it is not happening.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Who still advocates for christian prayer in school?

Can anybody even source something that backs this up?

This entire posts seems like nothing more than a hypothetical situation being used as a method to flame christians.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,179,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Yeah, that's it.

Attached Thumbnails
If you support organized school prayer:  Would you Still Support it if the Prayers Were in Hebrew?-christians-oppressed.gif  

Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM

172 posts, read 299,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Now I wonder if they were reading it to teach the truth of the book or were to gain knowledge about the religion. Big difference. When you pray the truth of the religion is implied. I'm all for learning about religions, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. the problem arises when the school system wants to teach them as truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies