Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,686,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
1) The majority doesn't get to decide the rights of the minority. If they did we might not have civil rights legislation to this day. Religion and government (public school) is constitutionally separate... Live and let live violates my rights as a Jew, the rights of Atheists and the numerous others who would prefer to not be subjected to Christian prayer. It is also how the supreme court sees it.

2) I think you're right about larger cities, although I only had to go to a game five miles from the Austin border to see this in action.

3) Rodeos aren't government agencies. They're privately owned. i don't care if they dress as Jesus and do a pageant while forcing everyone to read in unison from a King James Bible. It's not the government.
I do understand what you are saying about being Jewish. I came from NYC and then south Florida and now I'm in Texas.

NYC is pretty secular. South Florida mostly Jewish (lived there in 80's) and now here in Texas I understand what the phrase "Bible Belt" means.

Some people assimilate and others don't. I do hope you find less offense where you are now then what you found in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,171,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do understand what you are saying about being Jewish. I came from NYC and then south Florida and now I'm in Texas.

NYC is pretty secular. South Florida mostly Jewish (lived there in 80's) and now here in Texas I understand what the phrase "Bible Belt" means.

Some people assimilate and others don't. I do hope you find less offense where you are now then what you found in Texas.
I sure do agree.

I am much happier back in the Northeast. It's a shame... There were many things I liked about Texas. I just found the Christian evanglisim to be too much. So I voted with my feet and left...

(Now I'm sure someone will say that's a silly reason to leave-- Someone who's in the majority and has no way of understanding what it's like to be on the other side).

I think I realized I was living in an area that had total Christian hegemony when people tried to argue that crosses were secular symbols.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,059,892 times
Yes. But I also support the lesson in english only.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,171,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yes. But I also support the lesson in english only.
Yes. I agree. All of these illegals coming here and speaking Hebrew in our schools. Awful.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM

9,907 posts, read 10,854,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Fortunately, religion has no place in public education.Keep it where it belongs.
Interesting .........historically religion did have a place in our education, but those of your ilk cant tolerate that, but surely feel homosexuality has a place in our public education. Wonder if there is a connection..............

Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,651,402 times
I do not support organized prayer in school, and neither does Jesus. “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others." Matthew 6:5

Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,346,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
It would be a great idea to read the Holy Qu'ran and quote the teachings of the Prophet Issu (aka Jesus) yes Jesus is quoted in the Qu'ran along with the 10 laws of Musa (Moses) and Ibrahim (Abraham).
Well unless you speak arabic, that ain't happening. I don't know of too many people in the US that can read/write/speak arabic, do you?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,451,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I am from a time where there were Bible readings in school. There were no Koran readings, but reading from the King James Version of the Bible exclusively. When the people advocate bringing prayer to public schools, they mean Christian prayer, not Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc., they mean Christian.

I have an issue of religion in a public school. People seem to forget that they can teach their children religion, they can have a morning prayer before the child goes to school, and the parents go to work. They can have daily Bible readings at the beginning and/or end of the day. They can go to church freely not only on Sunday, but any day of the week. religion is not restricted in the US, we can worship freely.

When Bible reading ended, my faith didn't. Is our faith so fragile that we need prayer in public schools to sustain it?

BTW, I am and have been as long as I can remember, a Christian.

I agree. Prayer is for the home not for school.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,603,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm wondering if, for people who support organized school prayer, if they would still support it if the daily prayers were done in Hebrew and were from the Jewish faith? Or do they only support school prayer if the prayers are Christian based?
Why not. Jesus was also Jewish.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,676,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Well since prayer has been out of schools since the mid-1960's I am not sure where you went to school.
Great Britain, perhaps, where they still have prayer in school. And their state schools are just as troubled as American public schools.

Funny, their schools have prayer and most of the population (other than Muslim immigrants and wackjobs in Northern Ireland) doesn't care much about religion. Our schools have the Pledge of Allegiance and most of our population doesn't care much about politics. Perhaps prayer in schools would wind up creating an extremely secularized America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies