Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM

9,895 posts, read 10,842,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I think a 5 or maybe 2 minute time every morning after the pledge is what is needed. We had that when we were going to school. What would be wrong with that? It doesn't have to be in the form of a prayer, but a time of silence..those who believe in a higher being can pray to themselves, those who believe in nothing other than life here on earth can just be silent..'
This is organized prayer without any particular religion being practiced..

Nita
common sense! thank you nmnita! as a Christian I would love to see Jewish prayers in our public schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,182,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
common sense! thank you nmnita! as a Christian I would love to see Jewish prayers in our public schools
Fortunately, religion has no place in public education.Keep it where it belongs.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:10 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,140,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
There was a liberal school district that would never allow christian prayers, but made kids read koranic verses, because that was "diversity"

Link??

Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,182,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Link??
Don't hold your breath waiting.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I think a 5 or maybe 2 minute time every morning after the pledge is what is needed. We had that when we were going to school. What would be wrong with that? It doesn't have to be in the form of a prayer, but a time of silence..those who believe in a higher being can pray to themselves, those who believe in nothing other than life here on earth can just be silent..'
This is organized prayer without any particular religion being practiced..

Nita

Why can't they do it at lunch? Or on break? That's what the religious kids did at my school. And yes, when I was in high school (I graduated in 01) the principle would open sports games and Pep Rallies with a Christian Prayer.

We had a pole in the middle of one of our two courtyards in High School that had Christian Bible verses written on all 4 sides (so...it was a square pole, not a round one ) and they used to gather around it in the morning before school, during breaks, during lunch and after school to pray.

Of course, I didn't pray, nor did I say the Pledge in the morning. I absolutely do not think any type of prayer (even the sneaky 'moment of silence') should be included officially in the school day, there are plenty of breaks and silent time in the classroom that they can pray without disturbing everyone else.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,140,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I'm sorry please forgive me but I am a bit confused at what you wrote here. Every religion prays so no it is not "assumed". We do not have prayer in public schools and we never will so I am unsure what you have an issue with. Do you want us to look at it from a hypotical position? If that is he case then no I would not want the Koran read to my child in a way that was meant to be religious and not educational.
I am from a time where there were Bible readings in school. There were no Koran readings, but reading from the King James Version of the Bible exclusively. When the people advocate bringing prayer to public schools, they mean Christian prayer, not Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc., they mean Christian.

I have an issue of religion in a public school. People seem to forget that they can teach their children religion, they can have a morning prayer before the child goes to school, and the parents go to work. They can have daily Bible readings at the beginning and/or end of the day. They can go to church freely not only on Sunday, but any day of the week. religion is not restricted in the US, we can worship freely.

When Bible reading ended, my faith didn't. Is our faith so fragile that we need prayer in public schools to sustain it?

BTW, I am and have been as long as I can remember, a Christian.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM

6,104 posts, read 6,001,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalmhc View Post
This thread is about prayer organized by the school. There's nothing wrong with independent prayer but as soon as the school system gets involved it becomes a problem.

Try to imagine the uproar that would occur if a Muslim principal decided to read from the Qur'an during an assembly.

It would be a great idea to read the Holy Qu'ran and quote the teachings of the Prophet Issu (aka Jesus) yes Jesus is quoted in the Qu'ran along with the 10 laws of Musa (Moses) and Ibrahim (Abraham).

Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,690,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You seem to believe that nobody does-- People do!
Then simply show me a source.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm wondering if, for people who support organized school prayer, if they would still support it if the daily prayers were done in Hebrew and were from the Jewish faith? Or do they only support school prayer if the prayers are Christian based?
I'm sure the Jewish kids do say prayers in Hebrew in the Jewish schools just like Catholics say prayers in English in the Catholic schools.

In public schools there is no organized school prayer although I think they have to let Muslims do their prayer 3 times a day.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,160,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Then simply show me a source.
Wow. Try reading the thread. A couple of people came out advocating organized Christian prayer, despite your claim that NOBODY does. Another person posted several contemporary court cases regarding prayer in school. Someone else talked about their principal in 2001 opening school meetings with a Christian prayer.... I even talked about my own experience with Christian prayer before high school football games in Texas.

I'm sorry someone doesn't write a scholarly article every time there is organized Christian school prayer, but there are a number of people on here who've provided anecdotal evidence to support my hypothetical that I started the discussion with.

Enough already.

Last edited by mlassoff; 02-26-2010 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies