Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not asking you, or anyone else to prove something that cannot be proven.

Like I already told Ray1965, the comment you quoted does nothing but confirm my point. Being an atheist requires faith in a belief you cannot prove.
Being a christian requires faith in a belief you cannot prove.

I have no interest in proving there's no god, I don't have to and really don't care. The idea that anyone has to prove a negative is so ridiculous....but it seems to be all christians got...

If god is real there's a simple way to prove it, have her/him/it ""come on down""""!!!

There is no reason to hide quaking in the shadows....step right up!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You seem to assume that atheists spend some time thinking about this. Most of us don't. It is very low down on our scale of interest.
Then you are #3. Yes, I am aware there are different kinds of atheists, and some simply don't spend much time thinking about it, while others spend a lot of time defending their non-belief.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Being a christian requires faith in a belief you cannot prove.
Faith is faith. You need faith to believe in something you cannot see.

Quote:
I have no interest in proving there's no god, I don't have to and really don't care. The idea that anyone has to prove a negative is so ridiculous....but it seems to be all christians got...
No, I said the opposite. I specifically said I am NOT asking anyone to prove a negative, I simply said it cannot be proven, and therefore it requires faith to believe your position. I am not sure why you are offended by the fact that you were shown that even you have faith in something, even if is not God.

Quote:
If god is real there's a simple way to prove it, have her/him/it ""come on down""""!!!
I believe He will come down.

Quote:
There is no reason to hide quaking in the shadows....step right up!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I suggest that this thread either be closed or moved to the religion forum.

While the thread started out asking an arguably political question, it has largely devolved to a series of assertions and counter-assertions concerning the existence of a god that some of the participants believe in.

In other words, what's the point?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I suggest that this thread either be closed or moved to the religion forum.

While the thread started out asking an arguably political question, it has largely devolved to a series of assertions and counter-assertions concerning the existence of a god that some of the participants believe in.

In other words, what's the point?
So are these the kinds of threads that proliferate in the religion forum? Well good to know I don't waste my time over there!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM

839 posts, read 982,692 times
Quote:
Yes, God would have to open their hearts first. I also believed, before I saw the evidence, and seeing the evidence only confirmed what I already knew to be true.
Yeah, exact same thing devout Hindus (1 billion of the world's population) would say about Brahma and his many, many incarnations... except Hindus will go to unbelievable lengths to prove their devotion, starving themselves practically to death, giving up all property and living in the forest to be one with their god(s).

Same thing a devout Muslim would say of Allah, some would (and I don't mean this offensively or jokingly) even commit suicide happily to show the depth of their belief.

Same thing a Jew would say of god, believing that he has yet to send any prophet.

Same thing a Shintoist would say about the spirits they believe in.

I'd go on, but I think I've gotten my point across.

Every religion, and there are many with millions to billions of followers, has their devout members who believe every bit as strongly as you believe in your god in theirs. Fact is, you were indoctrinated to believe at a young age which is why you don't approach it skeptically. If you were born in Central India to a Hindu family you'd be just as religious and just as convinced you were right, but it would be Brahma and his thousands of incarnations you'd be praying to and it would be reincarnation you'd be seeking rather than heaven.

If you were born in Thailand you'd be just as devout, but for Theravada Buddhism, You'd be seeking Nirvana.

If you were born in Saudi Arabia you'd feel this way about Muhammed.

It's all an accident, it's just that you happened to be born likely to a religious family in a religious area so you were raised not to question and to accept and you became devout. If you happened to be born to a religious family in a country with another major religion you'd be just as devout and convinced, but you'd believe in a completely different religion and look at Christianity the way you probably look at Hinduism.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nothing in your post answers my question, which is about logical discussion rather than preacher talk.
I did answer it . I said there are good Christians and also those who are wolves in sheeps clothing that go to the same churches.. it is God who sees the heart of each one individually. Those on the 700 club are just the same.. good and wolves.. God sees the intent of the heart. Not I.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:29 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
Quote:
No, sorry. That is incorrect. Islam only goes back to the cave where mohammed invented his religion.
In Judaism goes back to Jesus. They both come from Judaism

Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You seem to assume that atheists spend some time thinking about this. Most of us don't. It is very low down on our scale of interest.

The only time I get involved is either a) to wind-up 'god squad' or b) when the religions are trying to tell me what to do.
The best thing about being an atheist is that it takes up so little of our time.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I did answer it . I said there are good Christians and also those who are wolves in sheeps clothing that go to the same churches.. it is God who sees the heart of each one individually. Those on the 700 club are just the same.. good and wolves.. God sees the intent of the heart. Not I.
Actually, the questions were:
- Do you believe we have that problem in our country today?
- And how widespread do you believe it is?
- Would likes of Pat Robertson fit the bill?

If those questions were asked of me, my answer would be yes, exhaustive and yes, respectively. Because, if not for that in vogue, we would believe in religious beliefs being very personal matter that promotes secular governance and ensure personal freedoms. Whereas, what we see is a full page ad in newspapers printed as if it were a regular editorial/news piece, run by religious zealots, trying to force religion into politics (and yes, I saw one last week).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies