Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hangun open carry - In favour or against..?
IN FAVOUR 57 56.44%
IN FAVOUR,CONDITIONALLY 23 22.77%
AGAINST 21 20.79%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times

Advertisements

I am all for it as a means to let Sheriffs and lawmakers know that they need to be more reasonable when it comes to issuing permits for concealed carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
Chicago has strict gun laws and they have one of the highest violent crime rates due to shootings. The criminals are going to possess guns regardless of the laws. I don't believe that increased access to more weapons will encourage criminal activity or spur honest residents to engage in crime. Guns are not cheap if you are purchasing them legally thus I don't people will rush out to buy a gun just because they can carry them openly

Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Alaska has no gun-control laws. If you want to carry a concealed weapon without a permit, no problem. If you want to open-carry, no problem. Whenever I'm in the bush, even if I'm just going fishing, I carry a Mossberg 500 loaded with slugs, and a Ruger Super Redhawk strapped to my hip for backup. Since the .44 is too large to carry concealed, I always open carry. If others have a problem seeing me carry a sidearm, that is their problem not mine. The only people who have a problem with open carry in Alaska are the lower-48 tourists.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Chicago has strict gun laws and they have one of the highest violent crime rates due to shootings. The criminals are going to possess guns regardless of the laws. I don't believe that increased access to more weapons will encourage criminal activity or spur honest residents to engage in crime. Guns are not cheap if you are purchasing them legally thus I don't people will rush out to buy a gun just because they can carry them openly
Your cause and effect is false. NYC also has very strict gun laws and is one of the safest large cities in the world.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
too many potential horror stories with open carry.

Nay...

Movies don't count.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
"In my state leaning a loaded long gun against a car is a Royal Sin as it should be." Why?

As for the question. Imagine you are armed with a pistol in an regular waist holster (cowboy style), the gun is visible. You are in a convienient store. Some punk comes in with the intent to rob. He sees you. Do you think he will think twice before attempting to rob.

Think again. You have a concealed gun. He doesn't see it. He doesn't know you are carrying. Will he attempt to rob?

Which is the better deterant?

The police were their guns exposed because it is a deterant.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
All comments are interesting...

Open carry is like a double-edged sword...

Acts as a deterrence but also as a warning to criminals...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Leaning a long gun on a slippery surface is just asking for it to fall. Having one on a car or a truck is asking to get shot, or some one else shot. Most safety devices are prone to hanging up on things, and I have personally known of people who are iggnorant enough to grab a loaded long gun by the barrel and pull it towards them.

Just like crossing over a fence or a log you place the long gun on the other side and then go over the obstacle. A lot of people have been shot doing other wise.

I just hate good guys getting shot for any reason as it gives the left yet another excuse. IMO there shouldn't need to be any law, it should be a matter of common sence, but common sence is no longer common.

I am not a recent member of this new gun culture either, My Dad gave me my first long gun on my 6th birthday in 1957. I hunted that day, and hunted ever since.

To me CCW carry leaves a chance of surpise on a bad day. To carry doesn't mean you will know ahead of time, how could one know? Why give up the tactic of surprise to a bad guy at all?

Hunting with a hand gun is another matter.... I have hunted with larger hand guns for deer, and use a 'cow boy' Style holster then.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The police were their guns exposed because it is a deterant.
You've never carried a gun before, have you?

The police wear their guns exposed because it's easier and faster to draw from an exposed holster than a concealed one. There may be some intimidation factor there, too, but it's negligible. They wear them on their sides because when they need fast access to it, they need fast access to it.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Your cause and effect is false. NYC also has very strict gun laws and is one of the safest large cities in the world.
The point is criminals don't obey the law; hence the fact that they're criminals. Gun restriction laws may work in the theoretical realm of a Sociology 101 class, but they're against the constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies