Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I don't know. I am not aware that there is a requirement for a poster to create two threads about the same topic from two different angles.

I created THIS thread because of MY experience as a liberal with other liberals who didn't agree with me (or thought that they didn't).
There is no "requirement"......I just thought if "Liberals" are that bad and do nothing but personal attacks, SURELY some liberal would have posted a "Despicable Conservatives" type thread. But, no, I guess they haven't. Seems the only one throwing personal punches here may be you, with the name of YOUR thread, "Despicable Liberals"....

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The name of YOUR thread, "Despicable Liberals" belies your denial of accusing/blaming liberals only. What? Do you think we are all really, really stupid? The thread title alone reeks of baiting.
My experience was with other liberals, not with generic posters, and not with conservatives. Thus, the title of the thread and the use of "liberals."

Alas, of course nobody on this forum can create a thread without pursuing ulterior motives, right?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
What did you say and what did they say in response. Unless I know the specifics, there is no way I can comment
I will not point fingers. Sorry.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 PM

35 posts, read 71,964 times
Quote:
That said, I can wholeheartedly proclaim to conservatives that I feel your annoyance with some liberals. I have been able to post a few responses over the last few weeks that quickly elicited the very personal and emotional attacks that you complain about.
I will qualify what I'm saying with the fact that I'm talking mostly about what I've read in message boards, comment sections of news stories, on youtube, etc. Given that, 98% of the comments I've read from the left over the last few years are some combination of sarcasm, ridicule and ad hominems. And for how intelligent they always claim to be they seem to show no self awareness about how childish and ugly their comments make them look. It's truly mystifying.

Or another I see quite a bit is the "argument from intimidation". Which is basically "X is false because those who claim X is true are racists, morons, unintelligent, immoral, etc."

On a side note, I think the most well reasoned and informed comments tend to come from libertarians. But maybe I'm just biased.....

Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
BTW - I certainly don't mean this thread to be a p.issing contest of 'he said, she said."

Bashing the "other" side is certainly not desirable, either. Like I said, I would be considered "liberal" as well and I know that the common denominator is that we are all human and are all subject to the same tendencies.
Oh, really, you didn't? What did you expect? Are you so biased you've never seen the words "*******" (several variations of spelling), Dumbocrat, DemocRAT, etc on this forum? You haven't been reading very closely then. There is one conservative poster who writes novellas for posts, always with snide, sarcastic remarks in them, and he apparently never gets an infraction, or even any editing.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
It works....I guess all is fair in love and politics.

The "Romney is an Idiot" tactic did a pretty good job....helped put Mr. Hussein back into the WH.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It works....I guess all is fair in love and politics.

The "Romney is an Idiot" tactic did a pretty good job....helped put Mr. Hussein back into the WH.
That's President Obama to you!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
No.

Yes. I support gay marriage and I have not been called a name by conservatives on this board although there is no question that homosexual behavior gets its fair share of negative comments.
Homosexual behavior?

As far as your first paragraph, I think the answer is yes.
Are you just another con posting a thread acting like a lib?
Seems that way to me.

Quote:
BTW - I certainly don't mean this thread to be a p.issing contest of 'he said, she said."

Bashing the "other" side is certainly not desirable, either. Like I said, I would be considered "liberal" as well and I know that the common denominator is that we are all human and are all subject to the same tendencies.
Bull.
That's exactly why you started this thread.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
To be fair, I don't recall Fancy personally insulting you. She/he took offense at your title & the subsequent backstory to it.
He/She took offense to me reporting my experience with liberal posters instead of making it a generic thread that includes ALL posters.

Had my experience be with, say, libertarians, I would have used that label in the title.

Unfortunately, my experiences were with my own cohort: Liberals.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
He/She took offense to me reporting my experience with liberal posters instead of making it a generic thread that includes ALL posters.

Had my experience be with, say, libertarians, I would have used that label in the title.

Unfortunately, my experiences were with my own cohort: Liberals.
Take off your blinders.

And why would you think that liberals are all of one mindset?

Talk about disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies