Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times

Advertisements

Im not surprised the Medical Board would say this. But if a US doctor where to leave to make more money elsewhere.. where would they go? Pretty much all western countries have universal healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy1 View Post
And that's what I've been hearing from physicians!! So basically there would be more patients and less doctors. That's just great!
Trust me, the article is designed for the typical CNS reader. And if it were even remotely to be true, I say... H1B visa can be put to pretty good use, like it once was. Oh, and if the bill does pass, I would like to see the author and believers of these myths back up your stories.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Less doctors would mean capitalism in action...any doctor could provide his services to the highest bidders. What could be more capitalistic than that?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
You will find the government sponsoring H1B doctors instead of other doctors. I am sure the standards set by the government will be oh so high.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
You will find the government sponsoring H1B doctors instead of other doctors. I am sure the standards set by the government will be oh so high.
Obviously, you're not in touch with the reality. IMGs played a huge role in the 1960s, and they can easily fill the void if necessary.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Obviously, you're not in touch with the reality. IMGs played a huge role in the 1960s, and they can easily fill the void if necessary.
You obviously are not channeling Einstein tonight because your response is non sequitur. I never claimed H1Bs could not fill the void. Filling a void and being a well qualified doctor held to high standards are two entirely different things.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You obviously are not channeling Einstein tonight because your response is non sequitur. I never claimed H1Bs could not fill the void. Filling a void and being a well qualified doctor held to high standards are two entirely different things.
Like I said, you need to get in touch with reality before speaking out with any kind of authority. Do you even know what IMG is (without googling it up)? And what percent of physicians it makes up TODAY?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Exactly. The VA hospitals are filled with foreign trained doctors. Not surprisingly there certainly seems to be a lot of patients misdiagnosed. Another problem is getting a doctor that speaks English well enough to be understood by the patient. Do we really want to get rid of our own Doctors and use foreign doctors instead? Do we want even greater waits to see a doctor because we have less available?
VA hospital? Not for this Vet.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of doctors who leave active practice to teach or do research? There are many opportunities available for doctors who choose not to actively practice medicine.
Of course. There are 2 people in my family with medical degrees who are Research Scientists. One was a pediatrician and discovered he enjoys research more, but it had nothing to do with the money. Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor. It's not usually a 9 to 5 job. However, based on your claim, 1/3 of doctors will be looking for other jobs, and I doubt if there are that many openings in the field.

By the way, tell me what they're going to teach if nobody wants to be a doctor any more? Gym class? If the medical system in this country is destroyed by health reform, then why would there be lots of research jobs anyway? After all, research takes a lot of money.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Like I said, you need to get in touch with reality before speaking out with any kind of authority. Do you even know what IMG is (without googling it up)? And what percent of physicians it makes up TODAY?
I have worked with International Medical Graduates in the past. Your response is still non sequitur. My point is that the government will most likely not be so strict about H1B sponsorship when faced with a shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies