Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Millions, billions, trillions, state rights, federal rights, federal responsibilities, its all the same right? just chuck the federal limits and the Constitution out the window so we can ignore the responsibilities each branch of government has!!! As long as you get your HEALTH CARE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No human rights, no Bill of Rights? Okay....
Where does the Bill of Rights mention healthcare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Did the Patriot Act bother you at all?
What rights did you lose during the Patriot Act?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
It's called constitutional authority, not patriotic, American "thing"

One has it, the other doesn't
True - the federal government has the constitutional authority to enter into war, but it is debatable whether
Iraq or Afghanistan are such, since neither were directly
Declared Wars by Congress. No different than Vietnam.

As citizens, we are entitled to common defense by the government, not senseless defense. We can't keep allowing Congress to appropriate monies for invasions, bases around the world, foreign aid to other countries to buy weapons, etc. simply because someone in Washington or the Pentagon deems it to be done.

In fact. unless it follows Just Principles of War, the US should keep out of other countries and their affairs. That is what our constitution intended in regards to common defense. We can't continually "create" conflicts of perpetual war.

To keep saying, we can't afford this, or that domestically, while still spending Trillions on defense - makes no sense to me.

Most tax payers I know, are simply tired and fed up
paying for an over blown military. Once this health care debacle is settled, hopefully the American people will
start to address the real Elephant in the room - defense
spending.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
True - the federal government has the constitutional authority to enter into war, but it is debatable whether
Iraq or Afghanistan are such, since neither were directly
Declared Wars by Congress. No different than Vietnam.

As citizens, we are entitled to common defense by the government, not senseless defense. We can't keep allowing Congress to appropriate monies for invasions, bases around the world, foreign aid to other countries to buy weapons, etc. simply because someone in Washington or the Pentagon deems it to be done.

In fact. unless it follows Just Principles of War, the US should keep out of other countries and their affairs. That is what our constitution intended in regards to common defense. We can't continually "create" conflicts of perpetual war.

To keep saying, we can't afford this, or that domestically, while still spending Trillions on defense - makes no sense to me.

Most tax payers I know, are simply tired and fed up
paying for an over blown military. Once this health care debacle is settled, hopefully the American people will
start to address the real Elephant in the room - defense
spending.
You're half way there, Polly.....
You've admitted that Congress has the constitutional authority to enter into war.
Now, how about their authority to mandate health insurance?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
America CANNOT afford NOT to have health reform............ FACT!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
BUT NOTHING in congress or from obama is about health CARE reform...its about INSURANCE reform

you really want government to take care of you?????

the FDA has been screwed up for years, the government has been full of red tape for years...its the government red tape...always has been, aways will be

and that is the problem,,,that's why single payer (government) will NOT work here

I injured my back in 2003,,, what was recommended back then was FUSING of the vertiba...well in europe they have been doing disc replacement for 20 years...finaly in 2004 the FDA approved for that type of surgery here,,,,,tried to get it in 2005,,through TRI-CARE (the GOVERNMENT health care system for the military) they said "NO, its a new experimental proceedure"....even though it had been done for the last 20 years in europe........the government answer,,,deal with the pain, or get FUSED and lose mobility and still have pain

that is government single payer health crap care...and for those of you who say a single payer is not 'government care' ....
but it is government health care when they are the PAYER...and that has been the key word for years whether its private or government...the PAYER is the one who(m) determine what is and isnt paid for.......

I dont trust the government as far as I could throw them..from fluoride to DDT to health care

am I defending insurance companies???? NO- WAY, I cant stand the insurance comapnies private or government

what I am saying is that government care (medicare for all, singlepayer, government option) is UNAFFORDABLE

LOOK at the numbers; look at the cost of our current systems: the more costly medicare; or even the less costly medicaid....go ahead look at the numbers

1. MEDICARE currently covers (only partially, it is not 100% coverage) about 40 million (about 1/7th of the population) seniors and has an ANNUAL COST of 500 BILLION dollars.............................to cover all, would cost anywhere from $2.5-4.5 trillion A YEAR..............

2. we spend 300 BILLION dollars on MEDICAID ...to cover (at 100%) about 30 million (most esitmates are between 25 million and 35 million).....transfer that number to 320 million people (our population) the cost would be about 3 TRILLION A YEAR...................

NOW lets look at what the taxpayer would expect:
divide those numbers (2.5 trillion to 4.5 trillion) by the 120 million taxpayers(according to the IRS)...that's an average tax bill of $20,000-38,000 EACH HOUSEHOLD, EACH YEAR, an always rising.......can you afford that,,, I certainly cant...and its a HECK OF A LOT MORE THAN PRIVATE INSURANCE. and a heck of a lot especially if you dont go to a docotor but once a year.....is that what they want a once a year doctor bill for $20,000plus

IF you are disabled and unable to work...get on disability[b]...lets FIX disability[..first/B], making it less of a hassle to get on, but also police it to stop the false claims

IF you are poor, or temporarily out of work...let them quailfy for medicaid....lets FIX mediciad get rid of the abuse

if you are a senior, or real close (say 60) let's allow you to start being covered by medicare..why can you get ss at 62, but you have to wait for 65 for medicare????...lets FIX the problems with medicare get rid of the fraud, waste and abuse

pass a 2 page law that forbids any pre-existing clause....you would probably get 100% passage out of congress,,,but instead they do 3000 page monstrosities

pass a 2 page law that allows PORTABILITY of existing health coverage when you move locations or jobs
pass a law that gets rid of the STUPID uncalled for lawsuits....but supports TRUE neglegence lawsuits

do it that way you would have almost every one on board near 100%...instead the liberals want to MANDATE INSURANCE and still have the EXISTING problems with the ALREADY FAILING GOVERNMENT SYSTEMS.......what the neo-libs want will bankrupt the USA

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
lol...glad it is decided.

I agree we do need health reform, just not through the government.

If you really feel this way geeoro, why don't you get a job with an insurance company and work to lower rates? Why don't you go to medical school and offer free medical service?

Reform is a matter of citizens taking responsibility for the problems of the country rather than hoping some stranger in Washington DC is going to magically make everything better.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
You're half way there, Polly.....
You've admitted that Congress has the constitutional authority to enter into war.
Now, how about their authority to mandate health insurance?
Mandate me buying Private Health Insurance - NO

But....

Our founding fathers could never have imagined where health care or longevity of life would be today. That is why "provide for the general welfare" is such a vague statement. Simply put, to be interpreted by circumstance. An example - if the US was hit with a devastating bird flu or another bubonic plague, would it be in the general welfare of the US to give everyone an antibiotic or just let everyone drop dead

Fortunately, or unfortunately (depends on how you look at it) we are living longer. As my mom always told me -
don't outlive your money. America's health care delivery
and advancement has done just that. We are outliving our money - medically speaking, that is.

So, I look at what we already have in place. Medicare, for example. Is Medicare constitutional and if so, why? Stated Yes, because it provides for the general Welfare of the US in Article I, Section 8, of the Constitution. But Medicare is limited to folks 65 and over. Denied to anyone who is not. It does not provide general welfare to All citizens. So, I believe unless Medicare is for Everyone - it is unconstitutional as it stands. I feel the same about Medicaid or any other federally run health care program, with the exception of the military and our veterans.

At present it is not fair to someone like myself, to pay Medicare Tax without Medicare, pay federal or state income tax without Medicaid, or government employee run health care. Or to pay for that criminal in Prison that gets free health care - that includes those at GITMO All the while I am paying high insurance premiums and deductibles, simply because I am self employed.

I'm a Libertarian and do believe in small government.
But Health care is something I do not believe belongs
in the private sector anymore. HMO's and high tech advancement of medicine changed that.

So what is our circumstance now? Elderly folks, poor, disabled, sick - burdening a present health care system that is neither affordable for them or for the healthy. It is bankrupting the nation. Therefore, is it in the general welfare to have all citizens have health care through a federal government program? Everyone included, chipping in through a Health Care Tax. I say YES and it would be constitutional. I would be for a single payer National Health Care System.

It was MLK who said longevity has it's place - and most of us Will get there. As a society, we have to ask ourselves is it in the general welfare of the US to provide health care through taxation for us all from birth to death, or just for the select. I say ALL.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
It still amazes me how for profit insurance industry seems to be ignored in all of this, as though they're somehow victims. My play on it is they've been playing the system (50 states) to suit their agenda for decades, and now it's coming home to roost. If it is not dealt with now, then under a republican admin who'll be dealing with an even worse case scenario. If tort reform only saves around 1% and or a new high risk pool is the repugs answer they'll find themselves to be one term turkeys too like they have in the recent past.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
lol...glad it is decided.

I agree we do need health reform, just not through the government.

If you really feel this way geeoro, why don't you get a job with an insurance company and work to lower rates? Why don't you go to medical school and offer free medical service?

Reform is a matter of citizens taking responsibility for the problems of the country rather than hoping some stranger in Washington DC is going to magically make everything better.
Ha Ha Ha Ha..........
I worked for the Insurance industry and i know exactly how thy work and WHO they work for....... Themselves. If you are scared of the Govt running things then you should be absolutely petrified of the Insurance Industry running things.
I went to medical School in London. The UHC in the UK is funded by the Govt and run by Health profesionals. This is the HUGE misunderstanding about Govt. run healthcare.......... The Govt. DOES NOT dictate how you recieve your health care...the Doctors decide on the way you are treated and what medicine you have. The private insurance companies restrict far more health care than ANY Govt run health system ANYWHERE.
Many Americans have swallowed the fear tactics of the right and believe that a Govt run healthcare system in America will bankrupt America and be bad for Americans...... That is absolute rubbish...... No other UHC has failed or bankrupted its Country and a American health service would be the same, in fact the present health system in America is the no1 reason for personal bankruptcy today in America. It is with NO suprise that the Insurance Companies, the Doctors and the "Fat Cats" in America are predicting Doom for a UHC as they fear that they will lose the mega bucks they now earn and the privileged health care they recieve at the expence of Millions of hard working American tax payers.
Maybe the Govt will solve the American health problem..... The present system most certainly does NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies