Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times

Advertisements

I would wonder what I had done that made my daughter distrust me to that extent.

In this case, as the mother is portrayed as strongly pro-life, I can only imagine the crap she would have thrown at her daughter. I cannot blame the kid for going around the approbation. I wonder how the mother found out. If I were the kid I would certainly never have said a word to her.

Dragging this out into the public realm just illustrates this mother concern for her daughter. She has none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,762,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
If you don't have kids, please don't breed. I suspect you do based on your post. I feel really, really sorry for them. Folks....this is why kids can't go to their parents when they are in crisis.
Unfortunately that is true, and is exactly why these laws are in place.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,979,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
You misunderstand contracts and minors.

Minors MOST CERTAINLY can enter into contracts. Like you pointed out, minors cannot be bound to contracts (most contracts that is - there are types of contracts minors are bound to).

Minor can enter into contracts, they just have the right to leave them (not be bound by them) - essentially at will. That's why many companies choose not to contract with minors.

There are exceptions to that.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,885,530 times
This entire story sounds like a loud wake up call to all of those staunch abstinence only parents. Your kids are most likely haveing sex, get them on some birth control for crying out loud! The girl didn't go to her wacko mother because she would have been forced to raise a child she didn't want. What is so hard for these people to understand. The school didn't force her to get one, and she is well within her legal rights in the state of Washington. Sounds to me like the daughter is a whole lot smarter than her Mama.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,866,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
But, but, but, but.......what about states' rights?

The state of Washington allows pregnant teens to make a private decision to have an abortion without any requirement of parental notification or consent.

Oh that's right - conservatives throw states' rights out the window when it comes to issues they don't support.
I firmly believe in states rights but that doesnt mean someone cant believe that a state made a wrong choice.

Now the question is do you think a state should allow a person 15 to have an abortion without the parents knowledge. Why be responsible for your child if you are going to pass that on to someone else?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,246,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
child is still a minor.....

Sometimes, we hear the phrase "minor child". In reality, that phrase is an oxymoron. The word "minor" connotes a "child" because any person (not just 12 years old) under the age of majority (18) is a "minor". It is a rare case, indeed, when we would refer to a 1 year old, for example, as a "minor". We normally refer to a 1 year old as a child; but, the reality is, a child is a person under the age of majority. So, it would be correct to say, "That 17 year old is a child" - - although, by the time a child reaches their teen years, we normally refer to such person as a "minor".
so if she was 12 and pregnant shoudld the parents be notified she is getting an abortion

Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,885,530 times
^^^having, not haveing, sorry
Oh, and to add one more thing. I would be crushed if my daughters (13 and 17) felt like they couldn't come to me, but then again, I am pro-choice. That means if they want to have it, I support them, and if they don't, I support them.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,762,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would wonder what I had done that made my daughter distrust me to that extent.

In this case, as the mother is portrayed as strongly pro-life, I can only imagine the crap she would have thrown at her daughter. I cannot blame the kid for going around the approbation. I wonder how the mother found out. If I were the kid I would certainly never have said a word to her.

Dragging this out into the public realm just illustrates this mother concern for her daughter. She has none.
I agree. Despite what her daughter has experienced, somehow it's all about 'mom.'

The responses of some posters really make me wonder - seems that they regard their children as little more than chattel, or along the lines of domesticated animals, born purely to live and serve at their pleasure.
Is it any wonder we still have 'honor' killings in this day and age?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,866,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

So when you were a child you told your parents every single thing

Guess this type of thing is easy to say when its not your child

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,775,328 times
What a sad way to hit the lottery.

They are going to make a mint, off the law suit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies