Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Just because there is some baggage with the easy decision, doesn't make it a responsible one. A person who commits a crime and escapes punishment still may live with the guilt of the crime, but it certainly doesn't justify the decision they made to escape it.
You don't know how easy or difficult the decision was for this girl.

She didn't commit a crime.

She took responsibility for her pregnancy when she made the decision to terminate it. You may think it would have been more responsible for her to have continued the pregnancy and to have the child. But YOU aren't HER. YOU don't live her life. YOU don't know what all the issues that were involved.

And YOU certainly do think she deserves a lot of punishment. Luckily, YOU aren't her parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
You claimed the rate was 10 times greater.
your first link is blocked for m
your second link states for no US countries and thus doe not apply
Your third link does not prove the 10 times mark you claimed.
your claim is not proven

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That's exactly what the members of NAMBLA argue too.

Science would argue against your claim as the human male's brain is not fully developed until sometime around/after the age of 23.

Laws addressing minors exist for their protection; so that they are not taken advantage of nor in general do they suffer the sentencing consequences of adults when they commit violent crimes. The law recognizes that minors do not have the capacity to make decsions and understand the consequences of those decisions. Why don't you?

What we see is the abortion industry taking advantage of and manipulating young girls who, for whatever reason, have found themselves in the position of a pregnancy for which they are unprepared.

Why make excuses and ignore that the abortion procedure has with it real medical risks for these girls? Why dismiss the importance of parental/legal guardian consent? Why support an organization's profiteering off young girls? Abortion is a billion dollar industry that destroys human life for profit.

Is that what "choice" is all about?
the main issue with the comment of it being a "state of mind" I might agree with to an extent, but the problem is that they are picking and choosing such a declaration of responsibility. An adult is fully responsible for ones decisions. In this case, they are claiming the child is an adult and can make these decisions and yet at the same time claiming they are not and the parent is legally responsible in other issues. It is a circular position that is confusing.

971 posts, read 1,295,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
She can not get a body piercing at that age without a parents permission, yet she deny life to unborn without telling her mom
Sure she can. The state of Washington has no law requiring either parental consent or notification for minors to get body piercings. It's one of the few states that doesn't.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
I oppose roe V Wade because I think the States should decide. I try to not have an opinion on Abortion BUT, when you are talking about a minor, that becomes a whole new issue. It isn't just the anti abortion people who are the extremists, this is silly

Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Sure she can. The state of Washington has no law requiring either parental consent or notification for minors to get body piercings. It's one of the few states that doesn't.
Thanks for the correction.
So you think its ok for a 12 year old to get an abortion without parents consent

Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Now that is silly. I deal with that which is a reasonable assessment. You on the other hand start digging into the "subjective relativity" argument about how we don;t know how that person feels on the inside, she could have a major fear, blah blah blah.

Honestly, can we deal with what is reasonable and practical here or must we jump into philosophical posturing of the state of a mind to justify a position? It is rather an absurd defense.
Okay, Mr. Spock. We can agree to disagree.

I will say, however, that I find it no more absurd than expecting a reasonable and practical response to what for a teenager often feels like a life or death situation.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sorry, I edited my reply to include that.

I would hope my daughter would turn to me first if she was in a crisis, but if she felt she couldn't, I would understand her turning to someone who could help her. This age of consent for birth control and abortion legislated this way is not uncommon, and for good reason. This is not always about a naughty 15 year-old, but also incest and sexual assault. Some parents would rather lay down the law and say no than realize their children are still going to have sex or have abortions, but will now do it outside the bounds of safety and control, leading to devastating consequences.

If you have a good, honest, open relationship with your child, this is not something you need worry about, and it will never affect you or your family.

If you have a troubled relationship with your teen, and you have no interest in honest, open communication, and tell them they are not allowed to have sex until they are married, then yes, this probably applies to you.
You are going to legitimize the thoughts of a 15 year-old girl over her adult parents?! Most 15 year old girls would try to avoid telling her parents she was pregnant if she could, regardless of the parent's attitude.
Try to think back to when you were a 15 year-old? How mature were you? Whoever this child goes to for help has a moral obligation to immediately call her parents.
End of story!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
the main issue with the comment of it being a "state of mind" I might agree with to an extent, but the problem is that they are picking and choosing such a declaration of responsibility. An adult is fully responsible for ones decisions. In this case, they are claiming the child is an adult and can make these decisions and yet at the same time claiming they are not and the parent is legally responsible in other issues. It is a circular position that is confusing.
And you are saying that she should be held accountable to the same degree as an adult, but at the same time you are saying that she shouldn't have any say in whether she wants to carry a pregnancy to term or to have an abortion, that her mother should be able to dictate to her. That's a circular position as well.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
here are the laws from wahshignton as far as tattos go
Tattooing-Applying a tattoo to a minor under age 18 is illegal and violators are guilty of a misdemeanor.
Prohibits anyone from stating that he or she did not know the minor's age as a defense to prosecution, unless he or she establishes that by a preponderance of evidence he or she made a reasonable attempt to determine the true age of the minor by requiring a driver's license or other picture ID card and did not rely solely on oral allegations.
Tattooing and Body Piercing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies