Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
yeah, the young woman did take responsibility for the situation. That sounds very adult to me. Adult is a state of mind not of age.

yes and no.....I know 44 year olds who are very immature, and 15 yr olds who are very mature.....but facts are facts,....BY LAW anyone under 18 is a MINOR

I dont care whether we are talking about an abortion, or handing out tylanol, or having a tatoo artists' clinic set up in the school...the PARENT should have been notified, and given their permission......................................
answer this........................why do I have to give permission for my 16 yr old son to go on a FIELD TRIP, and give INSURANCE info...yet it is ok fro a 15 yr old little girl to get an abortion with out parents permission?????????

Last edited by workingclasshero; 03-24-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So if she were forced by the mother to carry out the pregnancy and the 15 year old died in labor, who would be held liable? The mother for forcing her daughter to carry out the pregnancy?

You do realize the likelihood of her dying by carrying out the pregnancy is 10 times that of her dying during an abortion - right?
Can you back up that claim with a real life stat

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That poster used speculation of my responses to support her assumptions about why the daughter did it. Usually one does not summarize a position when they can freely validate it. She did, why is that? To serve her position. Sorry, there is nothing honest or reasonable about that.

As for the story, you are correct. We do not know the details and we have only heard one side of the story, and really not much of one at that. So all of this is purely speculation, that I can agree with.

Well, as you are speculating in her "weighting all the possible outcomes" so do I. She weighted them and took the path of least resistance. There is nothing responsible about taking the easy road. Making a decision is not what makes us responsible, rather it is how we deal with the consequences of our actions. While you may disagree, failing to inform your parent and getting an abortion is not responsible, it is simply the easiest path to take considering all of the alternatives. Nothing is responsible about that.
Now who is speculating? We have no idea how easy or hard this decision was for this young lady. If she is, as her mother contests 'pro-life', it may have been the hardest thing she has done so far in her young life.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
The girl did not want to be pregnant. She did not want to carry a child to term and give birth. I don't know why she couldn't talk to her mom about it but maybe she worried that her mom would prevent her from having an abortion, we don't know the family dynamics at all.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Interesting, as I also had an abortion at 15, and a counselor at school directed me to Planned Parenthood for options, and a teacher actually paid my cab fare. I'm sure you all would crap a brick over that (and it was 16 years ago!).

100% legal and lets not forget that Mommy signed a consent form saying her "pro-life advocate" daughter could use the health center.

Of course this poor kid couldn't go to her Mom with this. God knows what would have happened.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So if she were forced by the mother to carry out the pregnancy and the 15 year old died in labor, who would be held liable? The mother for forcing her daughter to carry out the pregnancy?

You do realize the likelihood of her dying by carrying out the pregnancy is 10 times that of her dying during an abortion - right?
Ok, so you tell the daughter that it is ok to have the abortion and the procedure goes wrong for some freak reason and she dies as the result. Is the mother liable? The mother allowed it? She signed the paper!

You do realize you are using a fallacious position to claim validity?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
No, it was "all about the daughter" unless you somehow forgot the part about an aborted fetus?

I will speculate as to the childs reasoning. Take it as you wish. She didn't go to her mother because:

1) Telling her mother means she will have to own up to her sexual behavior.

2) It also means she may be required to have the child and put it up for adoption, which means owning up to the responsibility of her mistake.

In the end, all she did was run for the easiest way out which was to dump her child and go on like it is no big deal.

The fact that you are dismissing the mothers response also means you would like the child to be absolved of her responsibility to the actions she made concerning her mother and the abortion.

So, in your position, the child is completely absolved of all responsibility to the situation. And we wonder why there are so many problems with kids these days?

The child isn't absolved of all responsibility. An abortion may have been the easiest solution to her dilemma, but it wasn't an easy thing to do. It was a consequence of her irresponsible sexual behavior. It was the consequence she preferred to being pregnant and going through childbirth. Since pregnancy and childbirth are not risk-free, for anyone, and complications are more likely for children under the age of sixteen, even life-threatening complications, she had a right to have a preference.

She feared that her mother would not respect her preference, and she had good reason to fear that. So she went around her mother.

Her mother's reaction to the events, her distress, aren't being dismissed by most posters. Her mother has every right to be distressed. And the girl's parents will punish her for all of her behavior. Your suggestion that they toss her out is the irresponsible suggestion in all of this. What is responsible about putting a fifteen-year-old on the street? Nothing. They've invested fifteen years of their life in raising this child. Evidently, they still have more work to do to teach her to abide by their values and standards. It's not easy to raise children. But it should be a damn bit harder to abandon them.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The girl did not want to be pregnant. She did not want to carry a child to term and give birth. I don't know why she couldn't talk to her mom about it but maybe she worried that her mom would prevent her from having an abortion, we don't know the family dynamics at all.
She can not get a body piercing at that age without a parents permission, yet she deny life to unborn without telling her mom

Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
That is the sate for you;picking and choosing what they want by allowig the age of consnet to be diffeent. It means that what really is happenig is that the sate does not want ceertain people to have children.its like saying we decide. Cosent laws are based on the failure to be able to make a judgement because of age;and should have no exceptions not nrmal under law which mweans it must be done by a court after a hering in which the judge stands for the minors interest against thw two prejudice parties involved.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
She can not get a body piercing at that age without a parents permission, yet she deny life to unborn without telling her mom
Yes. Apparently the good people of Washington State implemented that into law. It's not like it's a secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies