Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How likely is secession in 2012 if Obama is elected?
highly likely 12 8.63%
possible 23 16.55%
unlikely 40 28.78%
impossible 64 46.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I vote for "impossible" seeing as how you are talking reality not feelings...I think.

You can't take money from The Godfather and then get uppity about it and expect to be credible. All of these states that criticize the federal government do themselves no good by seeking and accepting federal money to help them pay their debts. It's like criticizing the biased NY Times and then bragging that your last book was Number 1 on its best seller list. It's pitiful and transparent.

I'm not saying the criticism of the federal government/Obama administration should stop. I'm saying the groveling for federal money should stop. There's no state out there not addicted to federal handouts just like there are no individuals on the government dole who tell the feds to keep their money. As long as they keep whimpering for federal handouts these states aren't going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Utter and complete nonsense. Actually it's like a 12 year old Texan throwing a temper tantrum. You are too smart and learned to buy into this stuff. The way the system is changed is by folks electing the right Reps and Senators and holding them accountable when they fail. It's all on the American people,not with DC or the Feds or anyone else. And all this stupid talk about succession just wastes time and totally avoids the issue. Those folks in Washington are folks that the various states (people) sent there. Right now the people don't have as much affection for the Repubs as for the Dems. All politics is local. And Texans and their sympathizers are throwing hissy-fits about it, threatening to take their ball and go home. Yeah, 12 year old seems about right.
Well, thanks for your backhanded compliment concerning my learned outlook! LOL But hey, I return it and expect better out of you as well!

Did you really read what I wrote?

This is not a matter of kids throwing a temper tantrum. I hope I was clear on the fact that if secession were ever to become a fact again, it would likely not be on the same repeat of what happened in 1860-1861.

Rather, a secession of a different sort. That is, individual states outright passing legislation which null and voids federal mandates that in and of themselves overstep the authority the constitution ever granted the latter.

It is not a matter, anymore, of simply "throwing the rascals out" and expecting a big change. I wish it were so simple. Fact is, the REAL threat is an entrenched federal beauacracy with its endless regulations and entrenched power that make it almost impossible to resist no matter WHO the states send to Washington as their elected officials. They are almost as powerless to act as are the people who voted them in to begin with.

This is why I say, if change is going to take place and we revert to the nation our founding fathers intended, then it is going to have to be with the individual state legistlatures no longer recognizing the authority of the feds to go beyond that specifically specified by the Constitution. And put teeth into it by invoking the 9th and 10th ammendments.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:19 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If Obama is re-elected in 2102, do you think it is possible that states will actually begin the political process of secession?
Texas v. White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Several states have that option in their constitutions, don't they?

I want to live in the state that offers no handouts at all. All the welfare folks can move to states that offer welfare, food stamps, and health care. That would totally solve the problem.

Those of us who want to work for our stuff can live in the states that offer an "if you want to eat...you'll work" policy.
a) which states?

b) in what alternate universe does a state constitution trump the United States Constitution?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, thanks for your backhanded compliment concerning my learned outlook! LOL But hey, I return it and expect better out of you as well!

Did you really read what I wrote?

This is not a matter of kids throwing a temper tantrum. I hope I was clear on the fact that if secession were ever to become a fact again, it would likely not be on the same repeat of what happened in 1860-1861.

Rather, a secession of a different sort. That is, individual states outright passing legislation which null and voids federal mandates that in and of themselves overstep the authority the constitution ever granted the latter.

It is not a matter, anymore, of simply "throwing the rascals out" and expecting a big change. I wish it were so simple. Fact is, the REAL threat is an entrenched federal beauacracy with its endless regulations and entrenched power that make it almost impossible to resist no matter WHO the states send to Washington as their elected officials. They are almost as powerless to act as are the people who voted them in to begin with.

This is why I say, if change is going to take place and we revert to the nation our founding fathers intended, then it is going to have to be with the individual state legistlatures no longer recognizing the authority of the feds to go beyond that specifically specified by the Constitution. And put teeth into it by invoking the 9th and 10th ammendments.
I really see your point of view, to a certain extent. The way I see it, is that the Federal Government has built a wall of control over the states, one brick at a time. The states can regain their individual right of domain by dismantling the wall, one brick at a time. For example, refusing to take any federal education funds and funding it internally. Brick one. Refusing any federal funds allotted for repairing and maintaining the infrastructure. Brick two. Then, once you are self sufficient,you can refuse to send Representatives and Senators to the Congress and let the Supreme Court sort things out. I don't know any federal law on the books that says you MUST have representation in the federal process. In a free market enviornment, you can trade freely but you wouldn't avail yourselves of any federal support. With these conditions, you might actually have a case. If California did it, we'd all be in worse shape but if Texas did it, we'd probably get over it with a lot of hand wringing and sincere goodbyes.

Uh.......we are talking about secession, are we not?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
It is really not that serious. There are far too many people that are not concerned nor angry and are perfectly happy with where they are. It would take a huge movement to get that done and contrary to what the tea baggers and Obama haters would like to believe, the majority of American people do not share your sentiment. The majority of the population prefers to remain oblivious to all the ugly things in the world and does not watch Fox News or listen to Conservative talk shows geared toward keeping people angry and fearful. It is highly unlikely and whether you would like to believe it or not, most Americans like being American, Obama or not.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
a) which states?

b) in what alternate universe does a state constitution trump the United States Constitution?
The Constitution says nothing on the issue of secession.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
It is really not that serious. There are far too many people that are not concerned nor angry and are perfectly happy with where they are. It would take a huge movement to get that done and contrary to what the tea baggers and Obama haters would like to believe, the majority of American people do not share your sentiment. The majority of the population prefers to remain oblivious to all the ugly things in the world and does not watch Fox News or listen to Conservative talk shows geared toward keeping people angry and fearful. It is highly unlikely and whether you would like to believe it or not, most Americans like being American, Obama or not.
Bravo. Except for the part of "remaining oblivious to all the ugly things in the world and does not watch Fox News or listen to Conservative talk shows geared toward keeping people angry and fearful."

Your "remaining oblivious" statement tells me how you feel a bit, I somehow like your intelligent post even though those words were typed...

It seems that you have my understanding of the situation, the difference could be that I am willing to work for our countries betterment, and as a result my benefit... actually the "Remaining Oblivious" statement is a sly insult, but it is not true.

It seems that conservatives, by definition, have it "good enough" and want to leave things the way they are, regardless of the consequences to other people. Conservatives also seem to defend the war in Iraq, which to me was a mistake. Can we make mistakes? YES. Can we make them twice? NO.

Anyway, good post.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 627 times
Actually a Russian political historian wrote a book that the US would break apart into several countries. The author got the approximate year wrong but the stage has been being set. If the choice is tyranny, bankrupcy, a violation of constitutional law or martial law, all of which the Obama administration is in many senses playing footsie with, it is our duty to secede for the sake of the republic.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
The only way to keep the republic from tearing itself apart is to vote for the one man who can prevent it from occuring: SANTORUM 2012!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies