Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,131,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
No, but some defend their right to do so including the ACLU. It's amazing that this group has managed to get two opposing groups, liberals and conservatives, to both hate them together. Liberals because this group hates gays and conservatives because this group protest military service members' funerals.
As a gay liberal from a loving, mostly conservative military family and who's best friend and roommate is a Marine who served two tours in Iraq, I fully support the ACLU's defense of freedom and the 1st Amendment in its support of the Constitutional rights of the lunatic nutbags of the Westboro Baptist Church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,471,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Are we in "reverse land"? Conservatives would never defend these people, but liberals would.
I have never heard or read anything from either side that supports the Pehlps gang. Everybody hates them. They are equal opportunity offenders and relish their desipicability.

Furthermore, anyone who claims that either conservatives or liberals support the Phelps lowers himself down to the level. If they say that to just troll for an argument, they lower themselves more than the Phelps'. The Phelps gang are a bunch of sick and twisted people, but they are sincere in their monstrosity. At the same time, this is the only way the clan makes any money.

No one supports them, period. But they have two lawyers in the family, and know full well just what buttons to push and just how far to push them to get a lawsuit's judgement on their behalf. Those judgements is their only income, and they are damned good at what they do.

They are also very careful at picking the right fight at the right place. The Living Angels, (this might not be the right name, but it's something similar) the group that follows them around and wear white robes with wings and act as a peaceful barrier between them and the grieving families by blocking them visually and singing hymns to block their chants out, have been very effective.

When the Angels show up, the Phelps always move their show down a few blocks, or just leave. When a crowd becomes too unruly, the Phelps quit. They know their limits, but they have lots and lots of targets to choose from.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,641,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You're defending these slugs?

Why aren't the VFW and Legion Picketing this """Church"""
They do, I know quite a few vets who are Patriot Riders. The PR go to as many military funerals as possible to form a "shield" around the family to protect them from these incestuous WBC freaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
because of police protection and TV news camera which could be used as evidence in a trial.
Naw, it's 'cause they are a bunch of typical limp wristed aging weenies that hide behind the law like it's their almighty god or some crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So where are the Veterans Groups, why aren't they picketing this church 24/7.
Again, they do. The hatred for this family/church (same thing really) cross all race, color, sex, and religious lines.

I do have to give them credit for one thing, they do have the ability to unite the most unlikliest of foes against them as a common ememy. Take for example a few years back in this area. There were groups of Muslims standing side by side with Jewish people standing side by side with "neo-Nazi skinheads" standing side by side with blacks, and on and on; all with the common goal of stopping this group from disrespecting a member of THEIR community against these disgusting outsider freaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I see your point, but the VFW and the American Legion are RW freaks. Their views are probably closer to Westboro than they are to Obama..
Try again kiddo. I don't know of ONE "RW Vet" that supports these clown shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you mean they "incite" violence by exercising their free speech rights, you're correct. But, that hasn't been the case when I've seen them at funerals. They do what they do and someone takes offense. THAT'S where the violence starts. I've seen them more than once and have never seen them start an altercation.
Ahem, that IS inciting violence.

THey WANT to start crap, that's their goal; and what better way to do that then go to a soldier's funeral and chant and scream and sing and hold signes sweping their filth about their "god" loves dead soldiers, and all soldiers are **** and deserve to die and crap like that.

Mark my words, one day they WILL be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and someone with nothing to loose and not a lot of time in the world left will beat the dog s**t out of as many of them as possible. My only hope is that I am there to watch it happen so I can tape it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
We use to have laws of sedition and to protest a soldier who died in combat fighting for freedm is not a right , neither is yelling fire in a theatre .

I don't know who this soldier was or why the nuts pisketed .
They don't either, and they do it "'cause they can". Well......let them try that crap in back woods Eastern Ky, Tn, Nc, or Wv and they might not make it out alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Fred Phelps is nothing remotely close to a liberal and he would gladly tell you you will burn in hell at the suggestion. He is truly a wart on the A$$ of society. Only the far right would do this... and Fred is FAR right. Why can't their be a fault in KS that would swallow these scum?
Oh please.

He tells EVERYONE they are going to hell for just being born. The far right, much less the right have nothing to do with these shrimp turds, they are their OWN class of crazy. Like nuttier than squirrel turd crazy, like nuttier than the Planter's PB factory crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What if they were naked while holding their signs and protesting, would that be okay too, since "they're not putting the public in danger"?

It's just not a decent thing to be doing in a civil society. We have laws in most states to help promote a civil society. For example, its against the law for a naked man to don his raincoat and run around flashing women in the streets. We have laws against some types of lewd and disruptive behavior in public, so all we need are some state laws against heckling or protesting within a certain radius of a funeral.

Some states have passed laws to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What makes those men, women and children line up along a roadside to taunt mourners? What could be going on in their minds?
I've always wondered the same thing about the Nazi soldiers as they gunned down innocent people and tossed them into ditches. How does a person justify this kind of behavior?
Anyway, O'Reilly is paying the family's court costs, the Supreme Court will probably take the appeal, and hopefully the ever so devout Westboro folks will get what's coming to them in more ways than one.
Their brainwashed cultish religious belief that they are the ONLY ones right and the rest of the world is wrong.

When I see Fred Phelps and his "progeny", I see pure unuldulterated hate, evil, and sin. There is no other reason than that, why they do the evil they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why is it wrong? I think a lot of you don't understand the definition of "freedom of speech". As long as you're not inciting violence or endangering the public, you can say whatever you want in a public place, no matter how offensive others may find it. That's one of the best things about the United States, and I'm very grateful for it.
Well.... I'm pretty damn sure holding signs that proclaim that they are thankful for dead soldiers, and all soldiers are **** at a soldier's funeral is INCITING VIOLENCE and endangering the public (they are part of the public after all!); and thus SHOULD NOT be protected.

Ya know, all of us in here debate back and forth daily over the lact of morals and tact and shame in this country, yet some of the very same posters than complain of this lack are defending these tw*twaffles. It just astounds me, that we could ALL come together to shame this whole group into stopping this p*ss poor disgraceful immoral behaviour; yet it's easier to sit and play keyboard warrior right?

Last edited by Cav Scout wife; 04-29-2012 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,641,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I am completely against the gay lifestyle but if gays and others want to protest at Big Daddy Phelps funeral (he is 81) I would join them.

They should get a taste of the disrespect they dish out.
Carry this sign and see what happens!

"Every time a Phelps dies, God creates a gay rainbow"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
the next funeral they do this to, people should go with signs of support for the family and the fallen soldrier and stand in front of the Westboro losers.

Give 'em a taste of free speech!!
They do all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There's nothing in the Constitution that says we have a right to mourn our loved ones in peace while doing it in a public place, but we absolutely have a right to make offensive statements in a public place as long as we're not inciting violence or endangering others.

If mourners want to be free from any possibility of being interrupted or offended, they should mourn on private property in an enclosed space, like a church or a house, or any other private building. It seems like a simple solution to me.
Actually, Bush signed that bill about this very thing. Not to mention in my states there are 4 seperate charges they could be charged with if they were not careful. Those charges somewhat stem back from the Sedition Act of 1918 (Espionage Act of 1917); so in some places IT is in direct contridiction to free speech.

Kinda like yelling FIRE in a crowded movie theatre is not covered either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Only if they caught me! There are many tall buildings in Manhattan, would be hard to immediately determine from which window the magic potion was dropped, heh heh heh.

But...got a skunk I can borrow?
SKUNKS

Skunks Classifieds

Pet Skunks for Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how the Supreme Court rules in the fall on this case. I'm all for free speech but since this group has no clue as to what common decency is maybe they need to put into place a plan that keeps this group or any group protesting how far away they can be during the visitation and funeral. And in fairness, any group with signs showing support. Too bad because sometimes that's the only way people can express their gratitude.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,076,726 times
Isn't this supposedly their whole schtick? I've read how they purposefully incite violent acts against them, just so they can sue for big settlements... in fact, that is apparently how they make their "living."

Nobody I know from EITHER side of the political fence supports these freaks, so let's not make this into a libs vs cons issue - as that is insulting to everyone, and I'm equally offended by anyone who tries to claim they're supported by either side. Give it a rest.

I'm a believer in the concept of Karma, and cling to the hope that it will bite them in the butt one day. And I'll be laughing MY butt off when it does!!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,185,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Isn't this supposedly their whole schtick? I've read how they purposefully incite violent acts against them, just so they can sue for big settlements... in fact, that is apparently how they make their "living."
My understanding is that is correct, many of them are lawyers. If you really want them to go away the best thing that could be done is to stop giving them attention and that would really have to start with the media.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,076,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My understanding is that is correct, many of them are lawyers. If you really want them to go away the best thing that could be done is to stop giving them attention and that would really have to start with the media.
True... but you have to admit this was a great response!

P.S. The Rabbi speaking at the beginning is the Rabbi at my old Temple - she's really cool, and happens to be openly lesbian too.

Preview: Lowell Students Dance Away Hate Group - YouTube

Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,185,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
True... but you have to admit this was a great response!
I think the best response I saw was someone set up a stand near their protest for donations for whatever they were protesting. The donations were then given in the Westboro Church's name . They sent a letter to Phelps with the total thanking him for his help in supporting the cause. That's not the exact story but it's something along those lines. I'm sure they gathered a lot of money since the Phelps gang gets a crowd.

---edit------

Here it is:

Epic Win! Jason beats Westboro Baptist Church with a Fund-Raiser at their protest! - YouTube

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,507,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
So how is this a right or left issue?
It's not, but some people don't know how to think in any other terms.

What brand of toilet tissue you buy is a left/right issue to some folks.

Both the WBC and the reflexive pro-military opponents are on what would normally be termed the 'right' side of the political spectrum. The issue is one of legal merits and constitutional analysis and most people who whine about this or that court decision couldn't find either of those things with both hands.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM

15,567 posts, read 10,565,173 times
They may say they are a church, but it's a hate group that's monitored by the Anti-Defamation League and Southern Poverty Law Center. I don't one person that doesn't want to kick their ass, they have managed to offend everyone. I've heard they make a living by provoking people to react, then filing lawsuits. I don't know, but that's one explanation anyway. What creeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies