Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Bet you don't hear this on MSM...

Quote:
Arctic Sea Ice Extent Update: still growing « Watts Up With That?

It may be winds pushing ice further southwards in the Bering Sea, it may be fresh ice. It may be a combination. While this event isn’t by itself an about-face of the longer downward trend we’ve seen, it does seem to suggest that predictions assuming a linear (or even spiral) demise aren’t holding up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,709,114 times
Ice age here we come

Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
Ice age here we come
New theory I predict-we need to stop burning fossil fuels, we're putting too much stuff in the air and blocking the sun. If we don't stop burning we'll cause a new ice age.

quiver wimper

Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
New theory I predict-we need to stop burning fossil fuels, we're putting too much stuff in the air and blocking the sun. If we don't stop burning we'll cause a new ice age.

quiver wimper
Actually what caused the last ice age to end was the soot release from the beginning of the industrial revolution. The worming trend started in 1730 James Watt patented the out board condenser in 1769. What we were using coal for was home heat and making iron. Both were very dirty by today's standards. The amount of coal burnt being dug up by manual labor was tiny. The soot would've gotten into the snow pack and made it melt sooner in the spring and stick later in the fall. This would've caused an albedo driven worming trend. Albedo is now pushing for a cooling trend. (And that is from a CO2 for global worming place.) We need more soot to keep us from going back to the ice age interrupted by the burning of coal in England.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Actually what caused the last ice age to end was the soot release from the beginning of the industrial revolution. The worming trend started in 1730 James Watt patented the out board condenser in 1769. What we were using coal for was home heat and making iron. Both were very dirty by today's standards. The amount of coal burnt being dug up by manual labor was tiny. The soot would've gotten into the snow pack and made it melt sooner in the spring and stick later in the fall. This would've caused an albedo driven worming trend. Albedo is now pushing for a cooling trend. (And that is from a CO2 for global worming place.) We need more soot to keep us from going back to the ice age interrupted by the burning of coal in England.

I was being cynical . Back in the late 60s and 70s we had several unusually cold years. The popular dogma stated by the green community was that the particulates we were putting into the air were blocking the sun and leading us to a new ice age. The proposed solution was to eliminate coal burning power plants, gas burning cars, etc. Funny how the solution is always the same, regardless of the problem.

And thank you for providing some real scientific insight.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Did you notice the NSIDC statement for February?

Quote:
In February, Arctic sea ice extent continued to track below the average, and near the levels observed for February 2007.
The politics of this is astounding. When it goes against the AGW belief, it is down played as much as possible even when it is actually a very strong turn.

Yet if it is in a very slight turn in support of AGW, they report it as dramatic and devastating.

The politics in this field makes me feel dirty just reading about it.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Bet you don't hear this on MSM...

I bet the IPCC at this very moment is considering how they might "erase" that and splice a different record on to it so it stays in line with their position. I mean, it is done all the time in Climate Science right? Standard procedure, a "clever" way of handling data that just doesn't work into the bigger picture.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I was being cynical . Back in the late 60s and 70s we had several unusually cold years. The popular dogma stated by the green community was that the particulates we were putting into the air were blocking the sun and leading us to a new ice age. The proposed solution was to eliminate coal burning power plants, gas burning cars, etc. Funny how the solution is always the same, regardless of the problem.

And thank you for providing some real scientific insight.
You are welcome. The insight was my response to watching Al Gore's movie. I watched the framing of it and the emotional impact that framing was designed to elicit and said WTF. I went and thought it through for myself and well... He was wrong. From the framework of his lifetime it was not an unreasonable conclusion. From the framework of geological time spans it just plain didn't make sense. The soot melting the snow does.

That is like GW and supply side economics the cure renamed the same regardless of the problem.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
We need more soot to keep us from going back to the ice age interrupted by the burning of coal in England.
I know most have heard of the soot problems in England at the turn of the century, ever wonder why you didn't see the same problems here in Eastern cities?

Anthracite is why, it is the highest rank of coal produces no soot when it burns. Among a few places in the world it is mined is Northeastern Pennsylvania. While the Western Bituminous fields in Pennsylvania primarily fueled industry the Eastern Anthracite fields provided heat for homes and cities up and down the east coast hence the reason for very little soot in the cities. To this day it is is still used for home heating in all the Northeastern states because of these properties. The Lackawanna RR actually used this a marketing gimmick.

Quote:
Phoebe Snow (character) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rail travel around the year 1900 was not pleasant. After a long trip on a coal-powered train, travellers would frequently emerge covered in black soot. The exception to that rule were locomotives powered by anthracite, a clean-burning form of coal. The Lackawanna owned vast anthracite mines in Pennsylvania, and could legitimately claim that their passengers' clothes would still look clean after a long trip.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/PhoebeSnow.jpg (broken link)
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I know most have heard of the soot problems in England at the turn of the century, ever wonder why you didn't see the same problems here in Eastern cities?

Anthracite is why, it is the highest rank of coal produces no soot when it burns. Among a few places in the world it is mined is Northeastern Pennsylvania. While the Western Bituminous fields in Pennsylvania primarily fueled industry the Eastern Anthracite fields provided heat for homes and cities up and down the east coast hence the reason for very little soot in the cities. To this day it is is still used for home heating in all the Northeastern states because of these properties. The Lackawanna RR actually used this a marketing gimmick.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
That's an interesting bit of history. I used to live near Lackawanna NY and never heard this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies