Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Family denials are always the most reliable alibi

Mr. al-Aulaqi is free to turn himself into the nearest American consulate or embassy so that he can avail himself of all of his constitutional rights and privileges. Something that I think he would want to pursue with some since of urgency.

Now I asked you a pointed and specific question regarding Mr. Gadahn, a response would be greatly appreciated.

No, more like the Commander in Chief in a time of war, not unlike the actions taken by Lincoln, or Roosevelt acting in the same capacity.
Absolutely. Come in hands up under a flag of truce and surrender to American authorities. No one will kill him then. As long as he stays out, he is an enemy combatant on the field of battle. The job of American soldiers is to kill enemy combatants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
...yet you would be screaming to high heaven if GWB did this.
As I mentioned, George W. Bush made the same exact finding in 2002. Feel free to do a search for a post of mine anywhere on the internet (I have been using the same screen name on every forum I have ever participated on) in an attempt to find a post opposing this policy. In point of fact, you are likely to find several of my posts approving of this policy then, as I do now.

Just FYI, while I am a Democrat, in 2000 I was fairly ambivalent about the election of President Bush. It would not be until, the utterly insane decision to invade Iraq that ambivalence turned to out and out disgust.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Mike from Back East.

Just wonder if you ever criticized the Bush Adminstration for any illegalties or unConstitutional actions in previous posts?

Because what you are doing here is excusing this on the grounds that you percieve a good outcome coming from allowing the President to assasinate US citizens abroad.

I'm sure the Bush Adminstration thought their illegal actions would produce good outcomes.

Is that a valid argument?
I've criticized Bush and his band of clowns endlessly and for many things, as they deserve it. But I never criticized Bush for killing Al Queda types and their Taliban enablers; if anything I criticized Bush and Rummy for not killing enough of them, for letting Bin Laden escape from Tora Bora, and for essentially abandoning the efforts in Afghanistan to go into Iraq.

So, kudo's for Obama for pursuing the right war and killing the right set of bad guys, including the terrorist who's subject of this thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Where is the battlefield with Al Quaida? Or rather where isn't the battlefield. These people are in an open state of war and are "fair targets." A German general in WWII didn't become off limits because he was on leave in the Bavarian Alps skiing. War is not crime and punishment. There is no judicial oversight of a battle. Only after combatants are in the custody of the opposing force is he/she entitle to not being killed on sight.
So lets assume that the CIA and President deem YOU a terrorist. Do you think you should have a right to a fair trial and judged by your peers?

Our constitution does not stipulate that the right to a fair trial is only valid if we are not at war. We already have case law and the Constitution already addresses traitor acts and the applicable punishment. Fair trial included.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So your definition of a legal action is that the government is doing it and the courts have not ruled on it?

That means it's legal....LOL

Sad how these wingers trip all over themselves with their double standards.
Are you so blind to see that many of the people you are arguing with are on the left side of the political spectrum?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So lets assume that the CIA and President deem YOU a terrorist. Do you think you should have a right to a fair trial and judged by your peers?
I'd trot down to the closest authority an turn myself in. Then I have the right to a trial.

Quote:
Our constitution does not stipulate that the right to a fair trial is only valid if we are not at war. We already have case law and the Constitution already addresses traitor acts and the applicable punishment. Fair trial included.
This is a guy on the field of battle with the enemy. Any crime is secondary to his participation in a war against the United States. You don't have to convict enemy combatants of a crime before you shoot them. The fact that he is (actually was) an American citizen is irrelevant to the point. We don't have to convict OBL of a crime if we find out where he is. We can just kill him.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Are you so blind to see that many of the people you are arguing with are on the left side of the political spectrum?
Judging from your partisan non sequiturs, can we now count you as a born again civil libertarian?

Anyway, I feel more than a little bit certain that if I were to be declared a terrorist that I can count on a FBI agent knock on my front door.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:05 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
As I mentioned, George W. Bush made the same exact finding in 2002. Feel free to do a search for a post of mine anywhere on the internet (I have been using the same screen name on every forum I have ever participated on) in an attempt to find a post opposing this policy. In point of fact, you are likely to find several of my posts approving of this policy then, as I do now.

Just FYI, while I am a Democrat, in 2000 I was fairly ambivalent about the election of President Bush. It would not be until, the utterly insane decision to invade Iraq that ambivalence turned to out and out disgust.
then kudos to you and I retract my accusation!

we seem to be (nearly) on the same page.

I still see some irony in this action when it is juxtaposed with the KSM civilian trial position of the BHO admin.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I still see some irony in this action when it is juxtaposed with the KSM civilian trial position of the BHO admin.
From a broader perspective, I can understand your sense of irony, however the law is not broad and unspecific.

Take warfare in its most raw form, at one moment you are in a furious firefight with the enemy, small arms fire, artillery and armor support. You are surrounded by wounded and killed comrades when suddenly the enemy raises a white flag and from that point on, they are afforded very generous rights and privileges of a POW. You must provide your prisoners with your best medical care, they must be given adequate food and shelter, they must be treated with all humane consideration, and are not to be punished for killing your best friend. Now that is irony.

The same juxtaposition is fairly same for suspected terrorist. As long as they are in the "field" they are open to being killed or captured, but once captured they are afforded certain rights.

Last edited by ovcatto; 04-07-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
From a broader perspective, I can understand your sense of irony, however the law is not broad and unspecific.

Take warfare in its most raw form, at one moment you are in a furious firefight with the enemy, small arms fire, artillery and armor support. You are surrounded by wounded and killed comrades when suddenly the enemy raises a white flag and from that point on, they are afforded very generous rights and privileges of a POW. You must provide your prisoners with your best medical care, they must be given adequate food and shelter, they must be treated with all humane consideration, and are not to be punished for killing your best friend. Now that is irony.

The same juxtaposition is fairly same with suspected terrorist. As long as they are in the "field" they are open to being killed or captured, but once captured they are afforded certain rights.
Right on target. I'll add that the enemy soldier who killed your best friend during combat has broken no law and cannot be imprisoned for his actions. He may be detained as a prisoner of war for the duration of hostilities. The terms of his detention are covered by the Geneva Accords. If you wish to prosecute this person for a crime, you must provide that person with all due process rights -- lawyers, hearings, impartial justice, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies