Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Just make sure the pictures discreetly hide the Adam's apple.
Female hormones given to male to female transgendered individuals reshape the Adam's apple, rendering it no more conspicuous than any other woman's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
still not quite sure what all these wild suppositions about NARTH and scientology are about but anywho, no it was published in Psychology Today, and it discussed the fact that many people/patients are upset at all of the new inclusions and alterations made to the diagnosis code in the upcoming issue of the dsm or whatever. People are concerned that creating that many new diagnoses will lead to over diagnosing and overmedicating by psychiatrists/psychologists. Its a fairly common complaint of the new code book, Im surprised you're so skeptical. I wish I could provide the exact article that claimed it proposed adding 360 (it actually said 365) new diagnosing methods and disorders.
The reason I mentioned Scientology is because the video "The Marketing of Madness" that artsyguy posted and you commented about, is produced by the Church of Scientology - who are extremely anti-psychiatry and anti pharmaceuticals. They have some bizarre ideas of an evil alien emperor called Xenu and little bits of alien spirits inside everyone that only their version of "counselling" or "auditing" can "fix"-very expensive fixes at that. It's ironic that they accuse the APA and drug companies of "marketing madness", when that's exactly what they are doing.

I mentioned the religious-based anti-gay fringe group NARTH because they also post articles which are very anti-American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association. They are the originators of the whole "pray away the gay" industry which both APA's warn against as unethical, ineffective and potentially dangerous.

As for the Psychology Today magazine article you mentioned that supposedly said something like " the APA or whatever they're calling it nowdays just changed and added about 360 new "mental disorders" last year alone..." ... I had a look at the archives of the magazine here:

Issue Archive | Psychology Today

Was THIS http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200910/what-is-normal the article you were referring to? From Nov 2009? It's a bi-monthy magazine and there is nothing in January's edition about the DSM. The topic in this article sounds vaguely (very vaguely) like what you were referring to but the author writes absolutley nothing about "365 new disorders in the last year alone". I do actually agree with the author about the potential dangers of "labeling" someone with a "disorder" however.

There are only about 300 disorders/conditions in the current DSM-IV which was last revised and published in 1994 (with a text update in 2000) and the new DSM-5 is not due to be published until May 2013. You can see the proposed changes at the DSM-5 website. There are certainly NOT 365 new disorders listed there. Wouldn't it have been a bit difficult to add all those supposed hundreds of new disorders last year - when the next DSM revision/publication date is 3 years in the future?

I have no idea where you got the strange idea that 365 new disorders were added last year alone. This sounds like pure hyperbole to me with no basis in actual fact. Look at the DSM-5 website and the proposed manual itself if you want facts.

There are very stringent criteria for adding, deleting or changing any disorders which you can read here: http://www.dsm5.org/ProgressReports/...s-to-DSM_1.pdf

Last edited by Ceist; 04-23-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The reason I mentioned Scientology is because the video "The Marketing of Madness" that artsyguy posted and you commented about, is produced by the Church of Scientology - who are extremely anti-psychiatry and anti pharmaceuticals. They have some bizarre ideas of an evil alien emperor called Xenu and little bits of alien spirits inside everyone that only their version of "counselling" or "auditing" can "fix"-very expensive fixes at that. It's ironic that they accuse the APA and drug companies of "marketing madness", when that's exactly what they are doing.

I mentioned the religious-based anti-gay fringe group NARTH because they also post articles which are very anti-American Psychiatric Association and American Psychological Association. They are the originators of the whole "pray away the gay" industry which both APA's warn against as unethical, ineffective and potentially dangerous.

As for the Psychology Today magazine article you mentioned that supposedly said something like " the APA or whatever they're calling it nowdays just changed and added about 360 new "mental disorders" last year alone..." ... I had a look at the archives of the magazine here:

Was THIS http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200910/what-is-normal the article you were referring to? From Nov 2009? It's a bi-monthy magazine and there is nothing in January's edition about the DSM. The topic in this article sounds vaguely (very vaguely) like what you were referring to but the author writes absolutley nothing about "365 new disorders in the last year alone". I do actually agree with the author about the potential dangers of "labeling" someone with a "disorder" however.

There are only about 300 disorders/conditions in the current DSM-IV which was last revised and published in 1994 (with a text update in 2000) and the new DSM-5 is not due to be published until May 2013. You can see the proposed changes at the DSM-5 website. There are certainly NOT 365 new disorders listed there. Wouldn't it have been a bit difficult to add all those supposed hundreds of new disorders last year - when the next DSM revision/publication date is 3 years in the future?

I have no idea where you got the strange idea that 365 new disorders were added last year alone. This sounds like pure hyperbole to me with no basis in actual fact. Look at the DSM-5 website and the proposed manual itself if you want facts.
No, that is not the article I was referring to. The article I was referring to specified that 365 new disorders and changes to existing disorders were proposed to be made to the diagnosing codes. I know you have no idea where I got the idea that 365 disorders were to be added. You wouldnt know because you didnt read the same article I read at the time, which of course is no one's fault. But it doesnt actually matter what it sounds like to you. The reality is that the particular article that I read stated that the new dsm was to add 365 new disorders and changes to existing ones. What it sounds like to you has no bearing on what the article actually stated. P.s. I didnt say that the article was published in January's issue, I said thats when I read the article. Be sure not to use the hyperbolic rhetoric you claim to despise.

Last edited by solytaire; 04-23-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
The people in the documentary aren't Scientologists though.

Quote:

There are very stringent criteria for adding, deleting or changing any disorders which you can read here: http://www.dsm5.org/ProgressReports/...s-to-DSM_1.pdf

Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
No, that is not the article I was referring to. The article I was referring to specified that 365 new disorders and changes to existing disorders were proposed to be made to the diagnosing codes. I know you have no idea where I got the idea that 365 disorders were to be added. You wouldnt know because you didnt read the same article I read at the time, which of course is no one's fault. But it doesnt actually matter what it sounds like to you. The reality is that the particular article that I read stated that the new dsm was to add 365 new disorders and changes to existing ones. What it sounds like to you has no bearing on what the article actually stated. P.s. I didnt say that the article was published in January's issue, I said thats when I read the article. Be sure not to use the hyperbolic rhetoric you claim to despise.
You do realise you can do a word search on Psychology Today's archives? Which I did. Nothing there about 365 new disorders added to the DSM last year. Here you go.
Search | Psychology Today

And even if you did find some article somewhere stating what you claim, it's clearly incorrect. You only have to visit the DSM-5 website to find out the facts.

Are you sure it wasn't some rag called "Scientology Today" or something?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The people in the documentary aren't Scientologists though.
artsy, it's pure propaganda spin produced by Scientologists not a documentary.

People have made "realistic" looking "documentaries" on all sorts of things to push their own agenda. Some neo-nazi organization wants you to believe there was no Holocaust? They can make it look like a big Jewish conspiracy.

Last edited by Ceist; 04-23-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 11:24 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,978,305 times
Quote:

You do realise you can do a word search on Psychology Today's archives? Which I did. Nothing there about 365 new disorders added to the DSM last year. Here you go.
Search | Psychology Today

And even if you did find some article somewhere stating what you claim, it's clearly incorrect. You only have to visit the DSM-5 website to find out the facts.

Are you sure it wasn't some rag called "Scientology Today" or something?

You do realize that I already did a search two days ago and stopped looking for the article after page 3 right? Here you go. Einstein

Im positive it wasnt some politically controversial rag, regardless of how much you may wish it was. To be honest, even it was a scientologist publication, I would still consider its information. I mean, quackery is quackery. If Im going to accept the b.s. that the psychological community espouses, I might as well accept it all, you know?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
They interview psychiatrists, drug reps, journalists, and marketing associates. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of truth to their documentary.

One of my degrees is in the mental health field. And it's sad but a lot of mental health professionals BS their way to the top and into consumer's wallets.

Quote:
artsy, it's pure propaganda spin produced by Scientologists not a documentary.

People have made "realistic" looking "documentaries" on all sorts of things to push their own agenda. Some neo-nazi organization wants you to believe there was no Holocaust? They can make it look like a big Jewish conspiracy.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,991 times
Quote:
You should check out those videos bashing psychology and psychiatry. They are hilarious. Especially considering who produced the propaganda- Scientologists . Please save us from the wicked emperor Zenu and his nasty evil alien spirits!

WHAT IS SCIENTOLOGY?
Or the Illuminati!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,970 times
Quote:
So what article did you read???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies