Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 05:24 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times

Advertisements

This oil spill isn't a natural event, this is a man made screw up. Frankly, I think BP should fork over all cleanup costs, plus if it damages the mississipi delta, they can pay for all those damages and all cleanup.

Of course this will never happen.

I don't care if this happens only once every 20-30 years. Its still inexcusable. Especiallysince there wasn't even a storm or anything going on. WTF????

Imagine if you were a fisherman in the gulf and this mistake threatens your livelihood? What then? what about those jobs based on the tourism industry in the area. This was in pursuit of more profit for BP, they should pay.

I blame BP until they are completely exonerated after complete transparency by them (if they can be trusted), I bet there's a memo on this rig floating around somewhere saying that it needed some service. We'll hear about it in 5 or 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't forget about shellfish and there are a number of wetlands there that serve as home to many species.

If it hits the coast (and they fear it will) it will be an ecological disaster.
They are still cleaning up oil from the Valdez spill believe it or not.
It's heart breaking.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM

442 posts, read 965,945 times
Those poor sea creatures!!!! OMG I am going to go and help by buying dawn to help clean them up.
Oh and I do not feel sorry for anyone living in or around New Orleans, that land is below sea level, who in thier right mind would buy any kind of property there??? They have put up large dirt piles to fend off the ocean and who in the world can fend off the ocean when it wants in?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:56 PM

289 posts, read 311,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Imagine if you were a fisherman in the gulf and this mistake threatens your livelihood? What then? what about those jobs based on the tourism industry in the area. This was in pursuit of more profit for BP, they should pay.
There are plenty of fishermen in Alaska who can tell you that their businesses were destroyed. And what did they get for it? 33,000 plaintiffs split $383 million minus attorney's fees. A year and a half ago. 20 years of litigation. I think they may even still be fighting about whether Exxon has to pay interest or not.

So yeah, it's unlikely they would be forced to "pay", in the manner you appear to indicate. At least, if Supreme Court precedent is to be relied upon. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxon Shipping Company, et al. v. Grant Baker, et al.
A ratio of no more than one-to-one between compensatory and punitive damages is generally appropriate in maritime cases. Since Exxon has paid about $507 million to compensate more than 32,000 Alaska Natives, landowners and commercial fishermen for the damage caused by the spill, it should have to pay no more than that amount in punitive damages.

Last edited by Whyfor; 04-29-2010 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting error

Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
Those poor sea creatures!!!! OMG I am going to go and help by buying dawn to help clean them up.
Oh and I do not feel sorry for anyone living in or around New Orleans, that land is below sea level, who in thier right mind would buy any kind of property there??? They have put up large dirt piles to fend off the ocean and who in the world can fend off the ocean when it wants in?
Its not only going to effect New Orleans.

It will likely go all the way to Mobile, AL, and possibly all the way to the Florida pan handle.

And if you aren't worried about sea creatures, you obviously know little about food supply.

I hope you don't like shrimp.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
On and on and on about the oil spill, the coastline that may be soiled, the dolphins and other sea critters who will be killed......and not one freaking word about the men who were killed.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times
Post News, Oil spill off U.S. coast set to become worst in history as 210,000 gallons gush out a day and Obama demands BP pay

A giant oil spill off the coast of the U.S. could become the worst in history, it was feared last night.

President Obama has offered military planes, ships and equipment to help BP stem the oil spewing from a well beneath the rig which exploded and sank in the Gulf of Mexico last week.

Read more: Gulf of Mexico oil spill is 'FIVE times worse' as new leak found on wrecked rig | Mail Online

Old 04-30-2010, 06:11 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
What a disaster. This link has some interesting technical information about the logistics of the repair:

Stopping Gulf Coast oil leak could take weeks - CNN.com

Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave - CNN.com

Old 04-30-2010, 06:54 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Obama fault? Please! It's lack of regulations and self monitoring that caused this oil company accident. It's the fact that we've had an oil friendly president who gave his buddies favors so the companies didn't have to use the same safety, backup valves etc. that the rest of the world's off shore oil companies are using that caused it. Self regulating doesn't work!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Wow, boogie men are hiding behind all the trees! It really must be scary, to be so paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies