Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 07:22 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey great.

How much do you want to pay for gasoline and electricity? If the answer is not $6 gal for gas, perhaps you should come up with a better answer. Oh, I forgot. Liberals love to complain but offer no solutions.

Is your "solution" then to ban all offshore oil drilling? It seems so, as this could happen to any one of the offshore platforms. We will all be fine burning firewood- that is , of course, until we have cut down all the trees in the US. Nuclear and coal? Are you kidding? A liberal would never support that. Better stick with the firewood and burning dung.
Drilling offshore does not affect the price of oil and certainly has no impact on electricity.

The world is full of drama queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey great.

Oh, I forgot. Liberals love to complain but offer no solutions.
SAY WHAT???

Obama administration OKs first U.S. offshore wind farm - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/28/1603143/obama-administration-oks-first.html - broken link)

Obama's high-speed rail plan: Which states get the money? - CSMonitor.com

Teryn Norris: RE-ENERGYSE America: Obama's Proposal for Clean-Energy Education

You folks are totally unbelievable!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I can't believe it. All those whales and dolphins. From what I understand there's a dwindling sperm whale population in the area. So many creatures are going to die.
Honestly, this is the part that upsets me the most. So many innocent animals who won't know what hit them.

I want to know why this type of accident wasn't anticipated and why there isn't a better, more immediate solution.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
On and on and on about the oil spill, the coastline that may be soiled, the dolphins and other sea critters who will be killed......and not one freaking word about the men who were killed.
I hear you. The men were just doing their job, trying to support their families, and each death represents a huge tragedy for numerous people. Moving out of the realm of individual tragedy, though, I see this as a man made event created by man made desires. In a sense, "we" humans choose to engage in certain risks in order to obtain certain gains. Animals, on the other hand, have no choice in the matter. They are just trying to live in the world, and they will suffer greatly because of mistakes we pathetic stewards make. On a spiritual level, this just disturbs me a great deal. Btw, I'm sure this make me sound like a ******* but I'm actually a conservative like you. I just have to call things as I see them, and this is a horrible accident that is going to wreak havoc on many creatures.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
BP will go under....and there will be no one left to pay.....except the Taxpayer....stay tuned.
Why would BP go under? They made $6B profit in just the first three months of this year.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:20 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Why would BP go under? They made $6B profit in just the first three months of this year.
BP, EXXON, SHELL etc. through their lobbyists have been enabled by our congress to essentially write their own rules for the last decade. Every country in the world except our's requires a $500,000 system which ensures the operation of that BOP valve which in this case failed.

We have a disfunctional government who owes OUR soul to the company store. I read recently that in order for a senator to be (re)elected it requires $35 million and fourteen months of campaigning. Every time there's an important bill being argued in the congress there are over 2000 representatives of large corporations walking the halls and streets of Washington...$2500 suits, Gucci imported shoes and briefcases everywhere one looks. Something has to give...this is no longer a government by and for the people.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 05-01-2010 at 04:42 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 06:29 AM

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times
What will "Slick Barry" do next? Play golf ? Go on vacation?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:46 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
If the environmental whacko's would allow onshore oil drilling where containment issues and protection of the environment are more feasable then things like this won't happen. face it folks we use fossil fuels and we will for some time now, sure it would be wonderful if we could find an alternative over night but thats not going to happen. we can't have our cake and eat it too, so by forcing the drilling miles offshore in deep water more "accidents" are likely to happen.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
What will "Slick Barry" do next? Play golf ? Go on vacation?
He has sent several cabinet members to the coast already, who are heading the effort. He is getting updates all the time.

And, he is making a visit, somewhere to the gulf coast, in two days.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:10 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Its just beginning...there are already 36 law suits and nothing has happened yet to the Shoreline. The proof as to if BP goes down will be treble damages. I believe they were neglect, knew about the danger , and ignored it all for the profit .
There will be endless hearings , debates , and a lot of Politicians running away from the Oil Companies. Without the lobby money doing its job , the Oil Companies will be on shaky ground. The outcome will be for BP , to ask for a bailout to pay the many Billions needed for the cleanup and the Legal settlements. This will fall on deaf ears because of Public setement, and British Petro will go down, at lest in the US. remember Exon, people were encouraged not to buy their retail products. This is a bigger problem than Alaska, its right here at home in the most sensitive nature habitat in North America. Its the birthplace of the Audabon Society, the majority of the shell fishing industry. All this will go away , maybe forever. Its a real big deal, with many ramifications yet to be heard.
The price of gasoline is already 15.00 per gal if you figure in all the wars and taxes we pay to keep it going. Its time to stop. One more spill, massive contamination event , and it will be all over for offshore Oil , everywhere, until extra containment requirements are put on every rig. Price at the pump will go to 5.00 per gal by July, for sure. That's just the start. I predict BP will go the way of Lehman Brothers, mostly due to the lack of support as the Politicians stop taking money in order to get reelected, the Public has had enough of the Bailouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies