Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Over 65% of the oil used, is used for Diesel, Gasoline, and Jet fuel.
Diesel and jet fuel can be made from coal which we have plenty of, actually very low sulfur. This process can be used as a co-gen operation where the waste heat is then used to generate power. You can expect to see this in the future as oil prices go up, the only reason it is not used now is because of the volatile oil market, it has to maintain at least a $40 to $50 a barrel price.

Turning Coal into Liquid Fuel | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Such as? I've seen this mentioned in the news too such as the one guy suggesting we build wind mills instead of drilling but that won't replace energy generated from fossil fuel. If you eliminate oil that would mean we need electric cars, wind and solar can't meet power needs let alone needs for transportation.
China takes lead on green energy - The Boston Globe

I support Nuclear, coal, natural gas, solar, wind, tide, hydroelectric, and any other energy we can get here at home, in a responsible manner.

We simply don't have the oil reserves to meet our demand.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Diesel and jet fuel can be made from coal which we have plenty of, actually very low sulfur. This process can be used as a co-gen operation where the waste heat is then used to generate power. You can expect to see this in the future as oil prices go up, the only reason it is not used now is because of the volatile oil market, it has to maintain at least a $40 to $50 a barrel price.

Turning Coal into Liquid Fuel | Publications | National Center for Policy Analysis | NCPA
Gasoline can be made by coal as well.

Hey, I'm all for coal production. Its local, and we are the Saudi Arabia of coal to the world.

Last I heard though, it requires large amounts of energy to convert coal to fuel though, or has that changed? I remember the military has plans to be 50% on coal supplied fuels within the next 10 years or so. However, that was fairly small scale, and for security over cost.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Last I heard though, it requires large amounts of energy to convert coal to fuel though, or has that changed? I remember the military has plans to be 50% on coal supplied fuels within the next 10 years or so. However, that was fairly small scale, and for security over cost.
I wouldn't call it small scale, the military uses a tremendous amount of fuel. That project was canceled after the oil prices bottomed out.

You need a lot of heat yes but you use it in a co-gen plant to maximize efficiency, the excess heat is used for power generation. You make fuel and electric at the same time.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Such as? I've seen this mentioned in the news too such as the one guy suggesting we build wind mills instead of drilling but that won't replace energy generated from fossil fuel. If you eliminate oil that would mean we need electric cars, wind and solar can't meet power needs let alone needs for transportation.
Sure they can. The amount of renewable energy that is untapped is several times what our consumption is.

The solution for liquid fuels will eventually be algae based fuels, but that's still in the lab.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Diesel has got a bad rap in this country. Its cheaper to make , should cost less, but does not. gets better mileage, and does not produce carbon Monoxide. The Germans came out with the Diesel Mercedes in 1935,...still using almost the same design.Diesels can run on veggie oil,and other less volatile fuels. Its safer and with today's tech. can be quiet and produce less smoke.( low sulfur fuel). I drive a Dodge Cummins Diesel,have more power than I will ever need,yet can pull my 10,000 lb. trailer, requires less tune ups , and should last longer than the body or chassis...I will see , I plan on keeping it for a long time.
Diesel cars have met with mixed results in this country. Most in the past were poorly designed and built from gasoline engine conversions., junk today. Gm was the worst builder,all in the name of saving money. We can do it, the Germans led the way, now Japan makes some great engines...we need to do the same in this country, along with getting off gasoline altogether, its not needed at all. natural gas also works,and we have lots of it. The Gasoline thing is just a big profit for the oil cos. cause they can squeeze a lot out of one barrel of oil which means more income for them. Its time to do something about this , only the People via the Government can do it....the oil folks...are too big to fail. Mark my words, We the People will bail out the disaster in the Gulf, one way or the other, once again.
I'm a huge fan of diesels, have two myself. A Cummins and a VW TDI.. love them both. 22mpg in a 6500# truck and 48mpg in a 4 door sedan ..

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Sure they can. The amount of renewable energy that is untapped is several times what our consumption is.
They can't for a variety of reasons such as storage capacity and intermittent production, they can only be supplementary sources and that is besides the exorbitant cost.

I forgot about the algae and it certainly sounds interesting, I know they were talking about using it to capture the CO2 from power plants. While you'll still be releasing it into the atmosphere when it's burned as fuel in a vehicle you're halving the emissions overall. Having said that my understanding is the amount of land required is quite a bit.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

YouTube - Palin's 'Drill Baby Drill' Vs. Oil Spill

Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 PM

95 posts, read 141,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post

The solution for liquid fuels will eventually be algae based fuels, but that's still in the lab.
The so called "Renewable" energy has social, financial, and environmental costs associated in the same way our current energy sources do.

It will be about power and control, regardless of what the green hippies like to say.

The energy source will never be cheap/free to the end user, nor will it make the world a better place to live. Wars will still happen over the energy needs of a world economy.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:33 AM

24 posts, read 11,480 times
Mops is only used by the far left loons!
Sometimes i wonder to if the far left are the most uneducated
people on the planet!

Are we suppose to continue rely on the middle east for oil?????????????

We are trying our best here in the states , but accidents do happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies