Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be ONLY English signs in our stores?
YES, this is America, not Spanish-speaking country 153 57.95%
No, we have 50 million Hispanic's in the U.S. 77 29.17%
I don't care 34 12.88%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
they know full well that pretty much all of the Hispanic population will be assimilated and speaking English within a few years, just like all the foreign language speakers of the past have been...
Maybe you don't get this in places like Minnesota but in Texas we see it all the time - folks who have been here for 10-15 years or more and claim not to know one word of English. Half the radio stations and many, many TV stations are in Spanish and they live in neighborhoods where all the store signs are in Spanish - heck even the grocery ads are in Spanish. Nearly every school is 65-70% hispanic and everything is in Spanish - interpreters are present at every meeting. That is interpeters for Spanish - although most schools have students speaking up to 60 other languages - too bad for them!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's called splitting hairs. There are plenty of people in the United States whose first language is neither English nor Spanish. How far would you propose we go to accommodate them? And the next question is, doesn't it facilitate every facet of life in this country if everyone can communicate in one language? (I mean, of course, in public. Speak whatever language you want to in the privacy of your home).
How far have you had to go personally to accommodate them?

To bastardize an old quote...

"It doesn't matter to me if my neighbor speaks Spanish, Russian, or Manx Gaelic. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

If a business wants to put up bilingual signs to cater to other customers, that is their prerogative, no skin off my teeth. Since I actually like learning other languages, I use it as a chance to study some new vocabulary.

Road signs should only be bilingual if there is a valid public safety reason for it to be that way. Like near borders or in areas with large non-English populations.

As for government documents, I feel that translation should be paid for by those who need it.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:25 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
This is the United States of America. English only.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Pro Freedom. Pro America. Pro Women. Pro Choice

This is the United States of America. English only.
No contradiction there...

Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Let us all hold hands and start speaking spanish. Lmao. Si se puede! Go Spurs Go!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,323 times
Default I studied French and English before move to US

I agree with you, but not totally, I studied the English Advanced level before arrive to US, but then I discovered that English that foreign people learn in their respective countries is NOT ENOUGH, so i studied English here, but even though you study A LOT, sometimes, you cannot LEARN EVERYTHING, so I consider very important to remain signals in spanish, specially for moms and kids that are learning English and AREN'T ABLE TO UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING, learn English VERY WELL TAKES TIME. I believe that signals in English sometimes are misunderstood. For instance when i was a tourist in Key West (when i spent only holidays in US years ago),I visited a seaquarium, i didnt recognize that I was so close to a sharks swimming freely, because i did not understand the signals, when i saw a shark i was terrified, and somebody told me, read the precaution signal...in English. If the signals where in spanish also, it should be great.
Imagine that you move to Russia.. or another country, Do you want to see signals in English?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM

527 posts, read 467,592 times
What is the problem with Spanish signs? Polish signs? In Chicago there are whole neighborhoods filled with polish signage- there is another area that has a lot of KOrean signs-When I am in another country I welcome signs in English- I think anyone that has a problem with this issue of Spanish signs is basically just someone who has a problem with Hispanics-trying to limit the language of signage is wrong- especially for businesses that cater to these ethnicities- now th right is attacking small businesses trying to make a living in catering to ethnicities in their area-this is just another case of people that have a problem trying to legislate their problems onto everyone else-

Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 945 times
I agree, we are The United States. Our one language helps to unite us. Separate languages help to divide. People can speak whatever language they an with each other but the common language must be English, our mother tongue. Assimilate or go back to where they came from. Bye-bye!!

My family came here from South America, assimilated and speak primarily English. We contributed by becoming educated and learned good technical skills. We are responsible, follow the laws and pay taxes. Are those who refuse the learn our language too stupid or just lazy because we cater to them? How embarrassing for them. They should learn English before they are allowed to reside here or become citizens. Our politicians have no spine to require English as the official language. We are slowly losing our identity. We are allowing too much immigration to the point they cannot assimilate fast enough. Politicians divide us and are seeking the"Latino Vote". This is dangerous as it's another way to get votes and destroy this country's identity. We are a county of immigrants but most have assimilated and become patriotic , productive and loyal citizens. Those who refuse to speak our language and assimilate should leave. Bilingual, Latino vote, what else is next to help divide us?? !!

Shame on them!!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Private businesses should be able to put whatever sign they want up -free from government interference - if they feel it will help their business.

If anyone is offended by them doing that - they are free to not patronize that business and to encourage others to not do so also.

English however, should be the official language pertaining to government business. It is ridiculous to have DMV pamphlets, voting materials, and government forms printed in 7 different languages(or more) like they are here in California.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
You lost me at...
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yooork View Post
I'm not racist or anything, and don't get wrong; Spanish is a beautiful language. BUT, it's very annoying when I read Spanish signs below English in our stores, packages etc.
I don't care if nearly 50 million hispanics speaks Spanish, they should learn English. This is America, a English speaking country, not Spanish speaking country. I don't think they even care about learning English because they have Spanish signs and speakers everywhere.
I'm also sick & tired of going to stores and accociates not being able to Speak English, or speaking Spanish with accociates. They even speak Spanish with me directly without asking if I speak the language or not. It's very rude and annoying for us who don't speak Spanish.

So please, do NOT include Spanish in signs at stores or anywhere else!
If they are including Spanish, then include French too!
We have Canada north of us!
TL;DR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies