Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times

Advertisements

I would hope the Department of Housing and Human Development would not longer be filled with (not white) women whose desks were solely occupied with televisions. I'm not kidding; I got into where the public is not allowed to go via a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
You obviously count how many Black, Asian, Hispanic and Native American employees you have now and figure out how many more you need for everything to be "fair" around the office.

Basically you do it just like the NBA and the NFL who obvious go out of their way to make sure all races are given a fair share of the positions no matter how qualified they are.

Sports are our only meritocracy, actually, considering that those who do the hiring of the players are white men whose only consideration is their financial bottom line.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
If AA was stopped for five years and only records were kept what do you think would be the result
people who actually qualified for the job would get the jobs instead of token hires based on a stat instead of quality

Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
I think that if AA were done away with that people would hire people based upon several factors, which include but are not exclusive to, inside connections, qualifications, nepotism and comfort level. Every employer knows that the brightest and most qualified (highest scores) person is not necessarily the best person for the job. Really talented people are hard to keep anyway…..because they are so talented. So you hire a really talented individual and invest thousands in their training and other, then the person up and leave for a better offer. College Basketball is a good example of what I am talking about, even though it’s technically not a “Business”. The schools that do better, take for example Michigan State, are the schools that don’t really build their teams around “Superstars”. Why? Because those super high school players only stay one or two years with the program before they are gone. There is no chance to create chemistry and continuity. Rather, you can build a dynasty by recruiting “good” players who are likely to stick around and work hard. Also, there are plenty of examples of great players who had personalities that were really disruptive to the team and made them hard to coach, because they were not “Team Players”.

The business world is not that different. You don’t necessarily need to recruit “those with the best ability...as measured by SCORES” to produce the best output for the organization. You just need to hire qualified people who work hard and who will stick around, who are team players, who are easy to manage and who will have chemistry with co-workers and or customers. Without AA, this works against blacks because of long held stereotypes that blacks are lazy and hard to work with, not to mention that many people see black males as having high propensity toward violence. A potential employer who is white and has a work force that is overwhelmingly white will feel that the black candidate is simply “Not an optimal fit”, relative to a white candidate. Think about it. The perception of the black male is one who is more apt to be more lazy, more angry, less responsible and less knowledgeable than the typical white guy. So tell me, without something compelling you to hire black people…..you most likely won’t unless they are “exceptional” and clearly stand even above the average white candidate. Note: Whites disproportionately are the owners and managers of companies, plus, they are the numerically dominate group in this nation. Consquently, I would say that about at least 90% of the companies that do hiring are white owned and or managed.

In conclusion....without AA....the stereotypical image of black people, as lazy, angry, criminal, less intelligent and irresponsible (insinuation that you can read all day on forums like this and others) will radically increase the black unemployment rate. Its already part of the reason that black unempoyment is twice that of whites....even with AA>

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-06-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 12:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
As usual I.S. gets it. I'll go further and state that AA's effect on the overall employment outcome for white males is minimal. At best AA has given a couple million black people a shot at state or federal employment. Jobs that white males only desire when they have flunked out of the private sector. Then they flail around grasping at any excuse to explain their predicament. AA/EEO is almost completely without accountability and enforcement and, I'll say it again, is not responsible for white failure.

H

Old 05-06-2010, 12:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
AA=government sanctioned REVERSE DISCRIMINATION....Bunky!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
AA=government sanctioned REVERSE DISCRIMINATION....Bunky!
Reverse discrimination manifest when whites spend 300 years oppressed as a racial minority that manifest a legacy in which their rates of poverty, unemployment, wealth and a host of other factors are multiple times worse than the dominant racial group in that society.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:53 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So true.

I want to add that if affirmative action should be done away with both black and white men would be able to get jobs that they can't get now since black women and white women come first because of the fool rule.
Sorry, Roy, that sword cuts both ways.

The sister of a good friend of mine got a degree and became a teacher because she was one of a handful of white students at S.C. State college in Orangeburg. Because she was a minority student, she received almost a full scholarship and graduated debt free.

Had it not been for affirmative action, she might be flipping burgers still.

It's like the unions; where needed, nothing else will do.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
attitude, as a business owner i would not want a pompous a$$ in my employ , rather a qualified skilled individual team player who does not think they are better than everyone else and find the need to point out trivial nuances such as a misspelled word or the failure to capitalize a word.do you have many real friends?
A misspelled word is a quite different thing than a nearly complete departure from the King's Tongue when attempting to communicate.

If someone can't utilize spelling and grammar to get his point across, he probably can't read too well, either, and has limited curiosity, which means he will always be a limited asset in my business. While there may be exceptions, and I will grant that, they are not called "exceptions" because they are common.

Give me an English major every time, even driving a pick and shovel.

Last edited by cuebald; 05-06-2010 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
The same as it is now, white women would be found to be the primary beneficiaries.

I noticed that this flew right over the head of most. White women benefit from AA programs more than any other group. The benefit far greater than minorities. The same people who think companies will hire the best qualified most also believe that they will pay women the same as men (equal pay for equal work). The purpose of AA programs is to try and level the playing field. Is it a racist program, yes. The funny thing is it attempts to correct a system that has showed a history of racism. Anyone who thinks companies hire he most qualified most also think politicans hire staff based on qualifications. AA may not be the answer but don't think for a minute there is not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies