Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I noticed that this flew right over the head of most. White women benefit from AA programs more than any other group. The benefit far greater than minorities. The same people who think companies will hire the best qualified most also believe that they will pay women the same as men (equal pay for equal work). The purpose of AA programs is to try and level the playing field. Is it a racist program, yes. The funny thing is it attempts to correct a system that has showed a history of racism. Anyone who thinks companies hire he most qualified most also think politicans hire staff based on qualifications. AA may not be the answer but don't think for a minute there is not a problem.
This is indeed so true. Even though women were and are still discriminated against in the labor force.....i never really impacted the white family due to the fact that the most favored group was the white male who was able provide for the whole family. The fact that black men and women were discriminated against meant that the black family could barely support itself. When a man cannot provide for his family....he feels less than a man and does not stick around. This was back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:00 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that if AA were done away with that people would hire people based upon several factors, which include but are not exclusive to, inside connections, qualifications, nepotism and comfort level. Every employer knows that the brightest and most qualified (highest scores) person is not necessarily the best person for the job. Really talented people are hard to keep anyway…..because they are so talented. So you hire a really talented individual and invest thousands in their training and other, then the person up and leave for a better offer. College Basketball is a good example of what I am talking about, even though it’s technically not a “Business”. The schools that do better, take for example Michigan State, are the schools that don’t really build their teams around “Superstars”. Why? Because those super high school players only stay one or two years with the program before they are gone. There is no chance to create chemistry and continuity. Rather, you can build a dynasty by recruiting “good” players who are likely to stick around and work hard. Also, there are plenty of examples of great players who had personalities that were really disruptive to the team and made them hard to coach, because they were not “Team Players”.

The business world is not that different. You don’t necessarily need to recruit “those with the best ability...as measured by SCORES” to produce the best output for the organization. You just need to hire qualified people who work hard and who will stick around, who are team players, who are easy to manage and who will have chemistry with co-workers and or customers. Without AA, this works against blacks because of long held stereotypes that blacks are lazy and hard to work with, not to mention that many people see black males as having high propensity toward violence. A potential employer who is white and has a work force that is overwhelmingly white will feel that the black candidate is simply “Not an optimal fit”, relative to a white candidate. Think about it. The perception of the black male is one who is more apt to be more lazy, more angry, less responsible and less knowledgeable than the typical white guy. So tell me, without something compelling you to hire black people…..you most likely won’t unless they are “exceptional” and clearly stand even above the average white candidate. Note: Whites disproportionately are the owners and managers of companies, plus, they are the numerically dominate group in this nation. Consquently, I would say that about at least 90% of the companies that do hiring are white owned and or managed.

In conclusion....without AA....the stereotypical image of black people, as lazy, angry, criminal, less intelligent and irresponsible (insinuation that you can read all day on forums like this and others) will radically increase the black unemployment rate. Its already part of the reason that black unempoyment is twice that of whites....even with AA>
Well said

Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
people who actually qualified for the job would get the jobs instead of token hires based on a stat instead of quality
I have to ask you how does one become qualified for a entry level job outside of education and internship. I never bought the qualified part for entry level positions . A racist could use that forever to deny races he/she didnt like.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
the one who could best do the job without bringing in unnecessary bullcrap meaning not you
parfleche !!! ... Damn Well Said !

I only wish I could give you more than one Rep for your excellent work tonight !!! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-07-2010, 09:18 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
What kind of employer would hire someone based on informal web forum postings? Your attempted comparison is ignorant at best, try something that might actually make sense.
the mean fish !!! ... "BRAVO" !

Indeed the word "Ignorant" is most accurately applicable in this instance ! LMAO ! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
The role of government is to create a level playing field for ALL individuals, not to gurantee successful outcomes for select groups. Government preferential programs make certain minority groups more dependent upon the government.Because the success is guaranteed beforehand, the affirmative action or hiring quota tends to diminish the sense of self-achievement and self- reliance.Is affirmative action government sanctioned racism? If one's central concern is for a more equitable society, it would seem to make sense to direct government backed efforts not toward entire racial or gender groups but towards all those, no matter what group they belong to, who need the most help. So would you give up YOUR job so that a qualified minority or woman could have it?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:06 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
I am black and in college. am I there because of affirmative action??

Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM

635 posts, read 539,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcallis View Post
I think the offices will be filled with a whole bunch of my daddy got me this job and the phone keeps ringing, what should I do??? duh!!!
What makes you think that doesn't already occur? Regardless, affirmative action doesn't really exist in the private sector - only government jobs and colleges... Even then, here in California AA was made illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post

Unfortunately for you, many people will suspect as much.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Well, since you are Black the only answer would be "I don't know".

AA actually works against those that got into college on their own grades and skills.
They have to work that much harder to overcome the stigma that the color of their skin is what got them into college.

Is that right ? No, but it is what it is.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
But when I applied, how did the college even know I was black?? you don't even have to let them know what your race is. I chose not to select my race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies