Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,723,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
In other words "You've posted a video that proved the statement was made and I can't refute that so I'll attack the context which really doesn't matter". Got it!
Ummm... whoever said the statement wasn't made? Not me. I heard him say it many times during the campaign. The fact that you're going ad hominem suggests to me that you can't really back it up.

Understood in its rightful context, however, you see that what he said he was going to do is precisely what he's doing, which is why we voted for him.

The economy's recovering faster than any had predicted, we have health care coverage for most Americans, we're actually fighting the war on terror, we're making significant investments in renewable energy, and we have working relationships with many nations that would have been unheard of before. That's some nice fundamental change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 PM

683 posts, read 429,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The economy's recovering faster than any had predicted, we have health care coverage for most Americans, we're actually fighting the war on terror, we're making significant investments in renewable energy, and we have working relationships with many nations that would have been unheard of before. That's some nice fundamental change.
Wait, you're being serious?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:17 PM

20,302 posts, read 37,255,625 times
Quote:
Ummm... whoever said the statement wasn't made? Not me. I heard him say it many times during the campaign. The fact that you're going ad hominem suggests to me that you can't really back it up.

Understood in its rightful context, however, you see that what he said he was going to do is precisely what he's doing, which is why we voted for him.

The economy isn't recovering as fast as you think. After all, governments employment has gone up, but not private sector employment. There is a national unemployment rate of 9.9%. The unemployment figures in some States and cities are a lot higher than the national rate, and several States are readying for layoffs. For example, NY State is laying off 19,000 State workers in the near future, and CA is contemplating doing the same.

Our economy can't recover without job creation and a reduction of spending. We are spending more than what we making in taxes (just look at the Federal budget deficit and foreign debt).

Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The economy isn't recovering as fast as you think. After all, governments employment has gone up, but not private sector employment. There is a national unemployment rate of 9.9%. The unemployment figures in some States and cities are a lot higher than the national rate, and several States are readying for layoffs. For example, NY State is laying off 19,000 State workers in the near future, and CA is contemplating doing the same.

Our economy can't recover without job creation and a reduction of spending. We are spending more than what we making in taxes (just look at the Federal budget deficit and foreign debt).
But if we keep hiring people to the gov. and adding more and more gov. jobs to new gov. offices we never had before the employment numbers look great... except those people are paid with tax dollars we don't have and they're usually jobs you can NEVER get rid of. Some areas of this country look like war zones, I'm sure those people would love to talk about how fast the recovery is coming around. Go to Detroit and talk about how great we're doing right now!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM

20,302 posts, read 37,255,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mean fish View Post
But if we keep hiring people to the gov. and adding more and more gov. jobs to new gov. offices we never had before the employment numbers look great... except those people are paid with tax dollars we don't have and they're usually jobs you can NEVER get rid of. Some areas of this country look like war zones, I'm sure those people would love to talk about how fast the recovery is coming around. Go to Detroit and talk about how great we're doing right now!
I agree with you. That's the point I was trying to make.
Greece is a good example of what could happen to us if we keep on spending without restrain.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I agree with you. That's the point I was trying to make.
Oh I know, I was agreeing with you 100%. Some people just don't get it and refuse to get it because they don't want to.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:30 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,226,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
It's no secret that the democrats and liberals tend to be very unorganized, but let's no pretend like they didn't have a reason to **** and moan about an administration that will go down as one of the worst in history.

My thoughts on why the Tea Partiers are so organized? I think it has a lot to do with who many of them are and where many of them came from. The majority, I've seen, are simply your average Americans - church-going, blue-collared folks that probably underachieved academically, and I think those types are much easier to mobilize and to convince and coerce. It doesn't mean they aren't capable of thinking for themselves - afterall, many of them have atleast a semblence of a point that I can agree with. The problem is that most of their opinions are borrowed and gathered haphazardly - many foolishly believe that the forefathers were Christians, that atheists are on the attack, that evolution is a farce, that religion needs to be in public schools, that Obama was born in another country, and so on and so forth. This is where I tend to remove myself from those types of people - they're so easy to sway and so slow to question.

Sorry if I offended anyone - just my take on why those types of people are so quick to organize - they're just so moldable, so quick to be organizable.
I don't believe you were intending to be hateful, as so many others in P&OC are, so I will answer you in kind.

"It's no secret that the democrats and liberals tend to be very unorganized," That isn't true. 99% of the organized protests that this country has seen over the past 50 years have been by Democrats and liberals. And if that be true then your statements about the tea partiers and why they are so organized applies equally to those Democrats and liberals who have been at the forefront of those organized protests.

"they're so easy to sway and so slow to question" and "they're just so moldable, so quick to be organizable" and "I think those types are much easier to mobilize and to convince and coerce."

This shoe fits most of the Democrats and liberals who have marched and protested--sometimes violently--over the past half century.

I will not even attempt to put tea partiers into a one-size-fits-all mindset because I, myself, do not fit your description of "church-going, blue-collared folks that probably underachieved academically" I, as so many others in these threads have stated, am fed up with business-as-usual in Washington. NONE of our elected leaders are listening to us when we say we want our borders secured, we want to be able to enjoy the fruits of our labor and pass it along to our children, we want American jobs brought back home, we don't want our future squandered and our children and grandchildren burdened with a debt that will follow them to their graves, we want the shredding of the Constitution to stop. The list of grievances is endless but, as I see it, many Obama supporters are still giddy with his election win and are so happy to have Bush out of office they cannot see anything else except, "At last, BUSH IS GONE."

Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I was wondering where the Tea-Party was during Bush 2's 8 year spending spree. The Tea-Party began to form rapidly once Obama was elected and was ready to protest less than 3 months after he took office. It's strange that Bush doubled the deficit+ and created a peice of legislation that directly infringes on freedom in the Patriot Act but no Tea-Party/mass conservative whining as there is today. Is the TP just a group of people that mobolize to whine about whatever a Democratic President does? Will their be a TP if and when a republican ever wins the White House or will they return to wherever they go and again remain silent?
It's called new ideas, new group and new action. Where were the libertarians during Truman's administration or even Carters? What a silly question....

Nita

Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,153,570 times
Quote:
You mean that stimulus that ... kept state and local governments from having to make massive cuts
I work with state and local agencies every day, in 49 of the states. Many of the states made cuts, as well as cities and counties. Some are even closed on certain days of the week or month, keeping other businesses from being able to do their jobs.

I'm still waiting for those "shovel ready projects" to begin shoveling. In my business, I should see a very sharp and distinct increase in business from that work when it begins. So far, nada. I have one customer in NC that's done some work on a couple of DOT projects in NC and SC, but that's it, and I don't have any reason to believe that those projects have anything to do with the spendulous plan, other than the fact that they're DOT projects.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:32 PM

49 posts, read 28,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Please provide a like to Obama saying: It's time to give wealth back to its rightful owners. Thats total BS. Provide link where Obama said he wants to fundamentally change America. Again more BS..#3 is BS as well.
More and more obots are showing up with absolutely not an ounce of knowledge who this guy really is or what he has even said. It's horrifyingly sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies