Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 06:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,704,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Or better yet, let's hire the stupid, doofus White guy over a qualified Black candidate because he's the owner's son.

Or, simply because he's a White guy and he gets hired because the higher ups are more "comfortable" with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,634,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy
Or better yet, let's hire the stupid, doofus White guy over a qualified Black candidate because he's the owner's son.

Or, simply because he's a White guy and he gets hired because the higher ups are more "comfortable" with him.
Or? Let the business owner decide who to hire.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,872,783 times
Quote:
Once in power Hitler began to express anti-Semitic ideas again. Based on his readings of how blacks were denied civil rights in the southern states in America, Hitler attempted to make life so unpleasant for Jews in Germany that they would emigrate. The campaign started on 1st April, 1933, when a one-day boycott of Jewish-owned shops took place. Members of the Sturm Abteilung (SA) picketed the shops to ensure the boycott was successful.
Quote:
The hostility of towards Jews increased in Germany. This was reflected in the decision by many shops and restaurants not to serve the Jewish population. Placards saying "Jews not admitted" and "Jews enter this place at their own risk" began to appear all over Germany. In some parts of the country Jews were banned from public parks, swimming-pools and public transport.
Quote:
Germans were also encouraged not to use Jewish doctors and lawyers. Jewish civil servants, teachers and those employed by the mass media were sacked. Members of the SA put pressure on people not to buy goods produced by Jewish companies. For example, the Ullstein Press, the largest publisher of newspapers, books and magazines in Germany, was forced to sell the company to the NSDAP in 1934 after the actions of the SA had made it impossible for them to make a profit.
Adolf Hitler

Old 05-23-2010, 02:50 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,214,209 times
Right Now - Rand Paul in '02: I may not like it, but 'a free society' will allow 'hate-filled groups to exclude people based on the color of their skin'
In a May 30, 2002, letter to the Bowling Green Daily News, Paul's hometown newspaper, he criticized the paper for endorsing the Fair Housing Act, and explained that "a free society will abide unofficial, private discrimination, even when that means allowing hate-filled groups to exclude people based on the color of their skin."
So he's been this way for quite a while.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 PM

943 posts, read 784,410 times
His comments(Rand Paul ) assume that private businesses are free to do whatever they want. All businesses need to get licenses to operate. Why in the world would the government sanction via licensing a discrimatory business??

In addition health, safety, and minimum wage laws are imposed by government(ie. the public).

Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM

37,973 posts, read 17,924,204 times
Great post by Oteil Burbridge to Rachel Maddow. I haven't heard Maddow implying Rand Paul is racist though.
A buddy of mine commented on something similar. He'd rather the klansman wore the outfit because he knew upfront where that person stood.

"Rachel,
I am a 45 year old Black American male who loves your show but I strongly disagree with you about your position on Rand Paul. Just so you know I voted for Obama and Kerry because I was horrified by both Bush and Palin respectively. Here's where I disagree with you.

1. If someone in the Klan owns a restaurant and doesn't want to serve me, why on earth would I want to support him by giving him my money? I don't want my money going to buy little Klan baby clothes. I'd rather the privately owned establishments wear their racism on their sleeves so I know who to support. If they want to lose my money, and the money of all other minorities and people with brains and a conscience, then fine. Racism is bad business.

2. There's two facts none of us can get around. Churches are still the most segregated places in America every Sunday morning. Its called freedom of religion. There are still restaurants where you can't go in D.C. and I can't go in Georgia. That's called tribalism. Integration cannot be forced privately, only publicly. Tribalism cannot be defeated by legislation. Freedom of speech and of religion means also freedom of @!$%#s. I prefer them with their hoods off.

3. I respectfully say that I think you're wrong to imply that Rand Paul is a racist for believing that

Woolworth's should be allowed to be segregated. I will go on the record right now and state that I believe that Woolworth's and any other privately owned business should be allowed to be segregated. We Black's have a choice now that we didn't back before the Civil Rights Act. Why would I want to support cracker ass Woolworth's if that's who owns the store? I'll take my money elswhere. If you had your way, I wouldn't know one from the other. I hope we can one day agree to let Woolworth's be free to take off its Klan Hood so you and I both know where to spend our money. Its not like and oil company. We all "have to" buy gasoline for now. We blacks have a choice which lunch counter we want to sit at in 2010. Rand Paul stated that when violence occurred it was wrong. He said it was morally reprehensible and he would never support it? He shouldn't be smeared as a racist.

I love you to pieces and as a person of color I identify with your pain, but I'm glad these racists and homophobes want to come out into the open now. I don't think Rand Paul is one of them.

Oteil Burbridge
Bassist Allman Brothers Band
Lawrenceville, Georgia"

Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,348,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Great post by Oteil Burbridge to Rachel Maddow. I haven't heard Maddow implying Rand Paul is racist though.
A buddy of mine commented on something similar. He'd rather the klansman wore the outfit because he knew upfront where that person stood.

"Rachel,
I am a 45 year old Black American male who loves your show but I strongly disagree with you about your position on Rand Paul. Just so you know I voted for Obama and Kerry because I was horrified by both Bush and Palin respectively. Here's where I disagree with you.

1. If someone in the Klan owns a restaurant and doesn't want to serve me, why on earth would I want to support him by giving him my money? I don't want my money going to buy little Klan baby clothes. I'd rather the privately owned establishments wear their racism on their sleeves so I know who to support. If they want to lose my money, and the money of all other minorities and people with brains and a conscience, then fine. Racism is bad business.

2. There's two facts none of us can get around. Churches are still the most segregated places in America every Sunday morning. Its called freedom of religion. There are still restaurants where you can't go in D.C. and I can't go in Georgia. That's called tribalism. Integration cannot be forced privately, only publicly. Tribalism cannot be defeated by legislation. Freedom of speech and of religion means also freedom of @!$%#s. I prefer them with their hoods off.

3. I respectfully say that I think you're wrong to imply that Rand Paul is a racist for believing that

Woolworth's should be allowed to be segregated. I will go on the record right now and state that I believe that Woolworth's and any other privately owned business should be allowed to be segregated. We Black's have a choice now that we didn't back before the Civil Rights Act. Why would I want to support cracker ass Woolworth's if that's who owns the store? I'll take my money elswhere. If you had your way, I wouldn't know one from the other. I hope we can one day agree to let Woolworth's be free to take off its Klan Hood so you and I both know where to spend our money. Its not like and oil company. We all "have to" buy gasoline for now. We blacks have a choice which lunch counter we want to sit at in 2010. Rand Paul stated that when violence occurred it was wrong. He said it was morally reprehensible and he would never support it? He shouldn't be smeared as a racist.

I love you to pieces and as a person of color I identify with your pain, but I'm glad these racists and homophobes want to come out into the open now. I don't think Rand Paul is one of them.

Oteil Burbridge
Bassist Allman Brothers Band
Lawrenceville, Georgia"

This guy really nailed it.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,113,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
This guy really nailed it.
If you consider internal contradictions which lead a logical fail, I suppose that Mr. Burbidge did nail it.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,348,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If you consider internal contradictions which lead a logical fail, I suppose that Mr. Burbidge did nail it.
Please decrypt.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,687,049 times
Mr. Burbridge's comments are a prescription for the continuation of the practices that deprived millions of black people in the North and the South of economic opportunities that every white person in the country takes for granted.

If you wish to return to the days when racial discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodations was the norm, following the principles he sets forth in his comment is an excellent way to go about it.

His point # 2 is simply beside the point. I don't care where anyone goes to church. Churches are voluntary social organizations, like clubs or familiies. Businesses are not at all the same thing.

As for the implication that Randy is a racist, I didn't hear that in anything Rachel said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies