Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,807,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Politics aside, You are going to love the Grand Canyon.
It is breath taking. I almost think it's a crime for one
not to see the Grand Canyon at least once in their life.
Taking my family there this summer for the first time. Sad seeing how I only live one day's ride away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,663,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
First off; the AZ law is not really that different from the Federal laws that exist, the main difference is that AZ they will uphold the law themselves. That said, targeting anyone that looks Mexican and requiring them to provide proof of citizenship without just cause (looking Mexican does not qualify) is a violation of our own laws. Pesonally I do not care if AZ upholds the law of the nation if they do so legally.
Secondly; I do not see AZ stating that they will go after the root of the problem and that is to go after those that hire illegals. We cannot, in my opinion, stop the illgals from entering this nation so long as they have reason to come here, forget building walls they will not work and would cost more money than we can afford to spend to build, maintain and then patrol the entire length.
Third, our imigration laws need to be reformed, many of those that come here to work would gladly do so legally if they could get a green card in a reasonable amount of time. Check them out and approve them if they have a clean record, and let them contribute to our nation in the way of labor and taxes paid.
So pass laws that treat the symptoms are you want, but until we address the issue in a logical manner we will continue to get the same results.
Casper
You have to secure the border.
Deal with the rest later.
The money saved for hospitals, doctors, food stamps and everything else that is free will pay for the wall.
Do you want them coming into your backyard?
I heard a report today that a family in Arizona has had their HOME broken into 24 times.
It happened to me twice and I'm still scared.
It is very easy to say what should be done when it is not happening to you.
Obama wants the spanish vote and sitting up in his White House, COULD CARE LESS about people that are paying for him to live there.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,807,143 times
Arizona needs to make one/.

YouTube - 70's PSA Keep America Beautiful (Crying Indian)

Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,076,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Politics aside, You are going to love the Grand Canyon.
It is breath taking. I almost think it's a crime for one
not to see the Grand Canyon at least once in their life.
I think breathtaking will be an ironic truth. Me and deserts don't get along well. No doubt I will find the view incredible I suspect I'll be quite eager to get down to the water and in a boat where I'm supposed to be. It's been many years since I've paddled fresh water so I get to have an adventure and make a political statement at the same time. Talk about a win/win!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,441,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When a law is so flawed that even local law enforcement finds it odious, why should any way "rally around" the state that enacted it?

As for the Fed ignoring the problem, this is what ABC news has found.

ABC News has made the following analysis of immigration facts about the southern border of the U.S.

More than 646 miles of the border are protected by fence, according to Customs and Border Protection.

More than 20,000 border patrol agents serve on the front lines -- an 80 percent increase over 2004 and the largest number in history.

The number of illegal immigrants apprehended along the border, which CBP uses to gauge the flow of migrants, is down nearly 55 percent from 2005. The agency captured 540,865 last year.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement detained and deported a record 387,790 unauthorized immigrants across the U.S. in 2009, and is on pace to set a new record in 2010.

the overall size of the U.S. illegall immigrant population -- 62 percent of which hails from Mexico -- continues to decline. The U.S. unauthorized population in 2009 was 10.8 million, down from a peak of 11.8 million in 2007.

In many of the U.S. border communities themselves, local law enforcement officials report violent- and property-crime rates that have fallen over the past year, and, in several cases, are among the lowest in the country.

Illegal Immigration Fact Check: 'Mayhem' Along U.S.-Mexico Border? Data Show Violence Declining - ABC News

In many cases, I believe amnesty would be most appropriate. But it isn't, nor should it be, the single issue on the table.
"Flawed" in what way....everything you wrote after saying that doesn't address problems Arizona is now having with illegal immigration. We've done amnesty before and this is where it got us...if we're just going to give amnesty every twenty years or so, how is illegal immigration going to ever stop.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Taking my family there this summer for the first time. Sad seeing how I only live one day's ride away.
Words can not describe its beauty.
It's one of my favorite places

Have a Great Trip

Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,441,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I think breathtaking will be an ironic truth. Me and deserts don't get along well. No doubt I will find the view incredible I suspect I'll be quite eager to get down to the water and in a boat where I'm supposed to be. It's been many years since I've paddled fresh water so I get to have an adventure and make a political statement at the same time. Talk about a win/win!
It's like a painting that you can't touch...it's hard for your mind to realize just how far away the other side of the canyon is. I haven't seen this but, one of the indian tribes built a giant glass sidewalk that extends from the edge of the south canyon....it's a "U" shaped sidewalk...I should say walkway because it has walls on both sides of it but, they're glass too. I think it's like $20 each person though but, wow...what a view....unless you're scared of heights

Last edited by Danno3314; 05-20-2010 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:46 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,984,301 times
[quote=mag32gie;14262972]You have to secure the border. I agree but it canot be done without atacking the source.
Deal with the rest later.Nope, that is the problem going after the employers of illegals is always later, the time is now.
The money saved for hospitals, doctors, food stamps and everything else that is free will pay for the wall. They should not get food stamps and hospitals and doctors should be treating for life threating cases only then they should grabbed and deported.
Do you want them coming into your backyard?I live in Texas, so too late.
I heard a report today that a family in Arizona has had their HOME broken into 24 times.Maybe they should buy a security system, large dog or maybe a gun would help.
It happened to me twice and I'm still scared.Do something about it, secure your home.
It is very easy to say what should be done when it is not happening to you.Once again, I will remind you that I live in Texas.
Obama wants the spanish vote and sitting up in his White House, COULD CARE LESS about people that are paying for him to live there.Your opinion, I disagree, he cares at least as much as RR and both Bushes, at least he hasn't tried to make them all legal. But yes, I think the issue needs to be pushed and maybe AZ has gotten the ball rolling in the right direction for the Feds to do something serious, such as the point I keep saying, go after the businesses.[/quote]
Casper

Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
"Flawed" in what way....everything you wrote after saying that doesn't address problems Arizona is now having with illegal immigration. We've done amnesty before and this is where it got us...if we're just going to give amnesty every twenty years or so, how is illegal immigration going to ever stop.
Amnesty is not the solution.

Get rid of the anchor baby rule.
Stiff fines, loss of business, jail time for hiring illegals.
No social services to illegals.

These people need to work in their own country to fix it's problems.
Running away to the US for food/shelter/education/work won't fix Mexico.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
So your an anti boycotter You do know you'll be in a Federal National Park. Better spend the day in Williams, AZ (Route 66) to make your point Very sweet place. Horse Carriage rides, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies