Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times

Advertisements

It's a terrible time to be Barack Obama. That's about all I can say in light of the current events that are flummoxing his agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Now you want to ignore the work force numbers and those who stopped looking for work to only focus on the unemployment rate.
I want to ignore them? Really? Says who? Sigh......

Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
That's a lot of folks working, earning a paycheck to be considered NOT good news...
As a blip in time it's good news, but as a trend so support this recovery ? No I don't think so.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I want to ignore them? Really? Says who? Sigh......
You did.. posting #3 ignored them and ridiculed the OP for posting facts..

Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's a terrible time to be Barack Obama. That's about all I can say in light of the current events that are flummoxing his agenda.
Can you imagine how fortunate we are that Obama won the election? Where would we be if McCain had won? With his apparent senility, Palin would be in charge!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You did.. posting #3 ignored them and ridiculed the OP for posting facts..
Oh, because I did dwell on them, it means I ignore them. OK, hey whatever you say man.

This means you didn't ignore it last month, but choose to ignore it this month.

Play your games with someone else. I am not interested.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You have to understand the viewpoint of the sheeple who flock to the left. Whenever you say something bad about the economy they automatically assume that you are celebrating because you hate Obama. I see it as people attempting to show the facts and bring the moonbats back down to the reality that Obama hasn't accomplished anything. They see it as a celebration and a slap in the face to the country.

That was true when Bush was in office as well. The truth is that HUMANS are extremely sensitive, subjective and biased when their “team” or ideology flounders.

There are two primary ingredients to a capitalistic economy. The first is the psychological; the second is the physical/logical. The depth of the great depression was mostly caused by the former. It was the result of PANIC which created a cascading loss of confidence that closed banks, crashed markets and changed consumption behavior. The only thing that really pulled the nation out of the economic malaise was WWII. However, the physical aspect of the economy was not that bad. Resources were plentiful, the manufacturing base was strong, we did not have a huge national debt…etc. So the economic correction from the bubble boom of the roaring 20’s was actually an overcorrection brought on by panic and safe guards not being in place to protect peoples deposits in Banks, like FDIC, or to protect the stock market from panic trading.

Our current situation is actually the reverse. The psychology of the general public is above the physical reality of the economy. That has been true for the last couple of decades. Easy credit and debt has, over that period, masked the severe physical decline of our economy. Furthermore, the safe guards, like FDIC and measures to prevent a prolonged bear market (mostly by FED policy and computerized trading algorithms that manipulate the markets), ferments the over confidence. If the general public really knew how dire the physical economy is, the economy would become much, much worse because it would radically alter peoples consumption behavior…..at least those with the luxury of discretionary income that they can choose to spend or not.

The “rational” thing to do, for individuals, in light of physical realities, is to reduce their debt and spending….which will sink the economy if done in mass. That is why politicians and MSM don’t want the TRUTH talked about. You have to understand that the MSM is not recession/depression proof. They are advertisement dependent. When companies struggle they cut advertising budgets. When companies go out of business they don’t advertise at all. Thus, the MSM has a vested interest in presenting information in a manner that will keep people spending so that companies have the type of revenue where they continue to buy advertisement which is the MSM source of revenue. The unstated goal of the administration and the media is to promote optimism. I think that Americans, as a conditioning of history and wealth, are optimistic. It’s a learned behavior. Thus, you don’t have to lie to the public as much as you have to just omit or downplay certain information and truths that could alter the overly optimistic mindset. Even the current lack of confidence by the public is overly optimistic. In other words, although people don’t things are going good, they still think things are getter than they actually are.

This country will NEVER return to the standard of living that we once enjoyed……at least not in the lifetime of the life expectancy of a 20 year old today. I get no joy from saying that as I have children who I wish could have a better life than mine, but unfortunately the era of kids doing better than their parents, as a general rule, is OVER. However, I am teaching my children to be competitive in an ASIAN dominated world of the future...that includes learning Mandarin.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This country will NEVER return to the standard of living that we once enjoyed……at least not in the lifetime of the life expectancy of a 20 year old today. I get no joy from saying that as I have children who I wish could have a better life than mine, but unfortunately the era of kids doing better than their parents, as a general rule, is OVER.
That has been true since the 1950s

Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is NOT good news. The experts were "expecting" over 550,000 jobs created.

Employment Situation Summary

So private sector hiring dropped dramatically from last month.

Revised downward.
They have been revising downward the numbers for a long time. Add it up and the number of people that are actualy out of work and the numbe they say are out of work differ by quite a bit.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Oh, because I did dwell on them, it means I ignore them. OK, hey whatever you say man.

This means you didn't ignore it last month, but choose to ignore it this month.
I didnt ignore it either month.. As I proclaimed last month, and this month, its ALWAYS been the PERCENTAGE that counted. you just flip flopped on what you considered was important...

And yes, the postings are here to prove such things are true..
Quote:
Play your games with someone else. I am not interested.
Translation: I'm allowed to flip flop from month to month.. Whatever it takes to support Obama, even if it means I have to embarass myself to do so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies