Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it right for Elton John to perform at Rush Limbaugh's wedding?
YES 51 76.12%
NO 16 23.88%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,938,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I think having Elton John sing at his wedding is quite
expected, considering they probably have a lot in common

"That was actually my first full-fledged talk show, and the guy who took me out there -- who has passed away, Norman Woodruff, one of the most important people in my career" - Rush Limbaugh

Rush is just still taking Norm's advice: "We want controversy". Once again it worked. Rush is still laughing all the way to the bank.

Wish him well on his 4th beard, I mean marriage Wonder if having any children is in his future...this time

Norman Woodruff was gay and died of AIDS in the '80's. It is rumored Rush is still in the closet. Now, why does that not surprise me; a Republican that really is Gay
I don't like Limbaugh and never listen to his show. I will probably never be put in a position where I will feel that I need to defend anything he says. Having said that, your post is childish and adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,239,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomack View Post
[LEFT][SIZE=2]Part I: The Faux, Demagogue Drug Addicted Populist on Drug Users[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]We're going to let you destroy your life. We're going to make it easy and then all of us who accept the responsibilities of life and don't destroy our lives on drugs, we'll pay for whatever messes you get into."
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Dec. 9, 1993
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"I'm appalled at people who simply want to look at all this abhorrent behavior and say people are going to do drugs anyway let's legalize it. It's a dumb idea. It's a rotten idea and those who are for it are purely 100 percent selfish."
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Dec 9, 1993
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"If (Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders) wants to legalize drugs, send the people who want to do drugs to London and Zurich, and let's be rid of them.
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Dec 9, 1993
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]"What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Oct. 5, 1995
[/SIZE]

Good enough?[/LEFT]

1) Those quotes, which are difficult to wade through because you didn't bother to delete all the extraneous material, are all from 1993-1995. Rush entered treatment in 2003, fully eight years later. So it is incorrect to assert he was "demonizing drug addicts when he was also using drugs".

2) Rush was speaking of the illegal use and the illegal trafficking of illegal drugs, which are always taken for recreational purposes, not for pain relief.

3) While dependence upon prescription drugs for relief of pain is a serious matter, Rush had the good sense to enter treatment. We have no knowledge that he has ever abused alcohol or illegal recreational drugs, as did Elton John who also had the good sense to enter treatment.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,763,520 times
I see nothing wrong with Sir Elton singing at Rush's wedding, whether for money or friendship. And, I hope that the 4th time is the 'charm' for Rush. Everyone deserves to be happy.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
1) Those quotes, which are difficult to wade through because you didn't bother to delete all the extraneous material, are all from 1993-1995. Rush entered treatment in 2003, fully eight years later. So it is incorrect to assert he was "demonizing drug addicts when he was also using drugs".

2) Rush was speaking of the illegal use and the illegal trafficking of illegal drugs, which are always taken for recreational purposes, not for pain relief.

3) While dependence upon prescription drugs for relief of pain is a serious matter, Rush had the good sense to enter treatment. We have no knowledge that he has ever abused alcohol or illegal recreational drugs, as did Elton John who also had the good sense to enter treatment.

He entered treatment after he got caught.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,156,632 times
I think if Rush was British (and associated with British politicians), Elton would have declined this invitation. Elton is like alot of ex-patriot Brits who love America a little too much and hate the UK a little too much.

Still, it is dissappointing, proof that Elton puts money before all else... even if some of this money goes to AIDS research.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,039,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I don't like Limbaugh and never listen to his show. I will probably never be put in a position where I will feel that I need to defend anything he says. Having said that, your post is childish and adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.
Everything Rush does and says is childish. I think it fits in the thread quite well. Big controversy - Yawn. Gay Elton John sings for his supper and Rush Limbaugh gets married again to window dressing. Rush will just use it as banter for a future show and Elton will do anything for attention.
Both are media whores. That's what they get paid to do. But at least, Elton has talent.

Book Elton John your Booking Agent Corporate Private Event | Elton John Booking Agency

Like I said, they have a lot in common

Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,239,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
He entered treatment after he got caught.

Doesn't change a thing I said.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,398,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
What a mountainous load. There are millions of chronic pain sufferers out there who are not addicted to oxy.
And there are many who are.

Rush was able to beat his addiction. He would be praised by many people if he were a liberal.

He beat his addiction; he was one of the lucky ones. Others have not been so lucky (Michael Jackson and Elvis, for example).

Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,613,852 times
Maybe he was showing tolerance.
Maybe he likes Rush personally and doesn't agree with his politics.
Maybe he simply did it for the money.
No matter the reason, it seems okay for him to make any choice he pleases on it.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,039,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Rush was able to beat his addiction. He would be praised by many people if he were a liberal.
No, Rush would be praised by people if he wasn't a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies