Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the term African American offensive to you?
Yes 20 27.78%
No 23 31.94%
Don't Care 29 40.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She applied for an African-American scholarship, not an Afro-American scholarship. Regardless of the intent, the term "African-American" does leave room for interpretation.
African-American and Afro-American are synonyms.

Hm, ask any American to give you a synonym for African-American (without telling them why you ask) and you will see that there is no room for interpretation, everybody would say black, Negro etc.
(Yes, I know, since this is the topic in this thread there will be people now saying white South-African immigrants etc. )

Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
African-American doesn't offend me but it offends me when people feel the need to inform others that they have black friends...I don't know why though.
because people here are SO QUICK to jump to the conclusion that you are a racist even if you call a black an african american

Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is a perfect example of what I described earlier using whites from South Africa as my example. Your friend should have filed a discrimination lawsuit.
African-American is used as a racial/ethnic classification here. It doesn't matter if she's considered African-American in other countries. America is under no obligation to follow the racial classifications of other nations.

Besides the woman is really South African-American. Most black Africans I come across have said they're from Nigeria, the Sudan etc. Yet this woman is confused as to where she comes from? The woman is from South Africa not the whole dang continent.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
because people here are SO QUICK to jump to the conclusion that you are a racist even if you call a black an african american

I don't think that people jump to the conclusion that you are racist if you use the phrase, I think it is the fact when people say.. hey, we will call you what ever we want, whether you like it or not.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
African-American is used as a racial/ethnic classification here. It doesn't matter if she's considered African-American in other countries. America is under no obligation to follow the racial classifications of other nations.

Besides the woman is really South African-American. Most black Africans I come across have said they're from Nigeria, the Sudan etc. Yet this woman is confused as to where she comes from? The woman is from South Africa not the whole dang continent.

But why is it used as a racial/ethnic classification here, and not allowed to be used as also a country of origin.. because people like you say, that it has to be this way, whether others like it or not?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
yes the POTUS should be a leader... and if he was worth looking up to, than I would say great, people should consider him a role model. But a leader of black americans only he is not... thank goodness.
Now you are so caught up in your black this black that ideals that you are now putting black before americans you are HYPHENATING blacks/african americans. Why can't you just call them americans? Because then the black/african americans would have a leader of the united states? You right now are the one separating (segregating) black americans from americans.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
But why is it used as a racial/ethnic classification here, and not allowed to be used as also a country of origin.. because people like you say, that it has to be this way, whether others like it or not?
I'm just stating the facts. It is what it is whether we like it or not.

Oh and it could also have something to do with the fact that Africa is a continent.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
You right now are the one separating (segregating) black americans from americans.
In all fairness, Nasuba was separating them too.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, not many, I have exactly 7 black friends, four of them American, two Brazilian, and one Indian. None of them has such ridiculous issues, they have lives...

And yes, I do think many blacks in the States are oversensitive, just think of that black hole greeting card fuss recently People desperately looking to be offended...
You prove my point by basing your opinion of blacks on some greeting card incident. You choose to disregard your personal experiences with the few black people you know well. Rather, you willfully assume that the vast majority of black people are properly represented by the media.

I'm not familiar with this greeting card incident because, like your special friends, I have other concerns. None of my friends have fussed on facebook; my family hasn't fussed in conversation; my co-workers haven't fussed about greeting cards either. Your opinion is based solely on the latest "fuss" you watch on your boob tube.

It is narrow and lazy to assume the media is an accurate portrayal of any subject matter, much less an entire race.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Now you are so caught up in your black this black that ideals that you are now putting black before americans you are HYPHENATING blacks/african americans. Why can't you just call them americans? Because then the black/african americans would have a leader of the united states? You right now are the one separating (segregating) black americans from americans.

No the putting black americans in there was because of the post that sparked the original resonse... which was where the person stated about leaders for black americans.. I asked who these supposed leaders of black americans were, and you gave your reply...

I am saying that americans are americans.. they come in many different colors, and there is no role models or leaders that are specific for any certain race exclusively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies