Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:22 AM

182 posts, read 247,781 times

Advertisements

Ok, I would like to hear from people who retired down in south east FLA -with regards to how they feel -after those nasty Hurricanes after this past year. Did it make you want to leave, be a half back etc .... ?? How about insurance on a home now. Did the insurance companies make it un-affordable or not insure homes at all in some places? was Florida prepared? Myself, love the ocean and beach area. I grew up on the Chesapeake bay and live near Annapolis now; like it here, but still often think about FLA at the beach areas, and if its worth the bother with the storms and all of that. I just wanted to hear how it really is after all of that.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 AM

481 posts, read 760,328 times
The media has really placed fear and hyped up the storms for Florida. As it looks like you have seen. Someone from outside of Florida would believe Florida has been severely damaged by hurricanes or they need evacuate outside of the state if a storm is projected to hit Florida if they just watched the news. I have lived in Florida for just over 30 years and the only storm to do any serious damage was Hurricane Andrew back in 1992. Even that storm only seriously impacted Homestead and South Miami. The building codes since then have gotten much better therefore there is nothing you should worry about if you live in a home built with the new building codes and you make sure to shutter up if a storm threatens. With that said I have not seen insurance rates impacted because of last years storms. We were very fortunate to not receive much of any damage. Just fallen debris and some power outages for a couple of days in some areas.

Example: Video showing the media hype on storms

Last edited by PSLCarPool; 01-24-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLCarPool View Post
The media has really hyped up the storms for Florida. As it looks like you have seen. Someone from outside of Florida would believe Florida has been severely damaged by hurricanes or they need evacuate outside of the state if a storm is projected to hit Florida if they just watched the news. I have lived in Florida for just over 30 years and the only storm to do any serious damage was Hurricane Andrew back in 1992. Even that storm only seriously impacted Homestead and South Miami. The building codes since then have gotten much better therefore there is nothing you should worry about if you live in a home built with the new building codes and you make sure to shutter up if a storm threatens. With that said I have not seen insurance rates impacted because of last years storms. We were very fortunate to not receive much of any damage. Just fallen debris and some power outages for a couple of days in some areas.

Oh , cool!!!! Yea man, from up here, it looks like the devil himself went through. I guess some parts he might of weather wise, but glad to hear what you have to say.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
The only thing that happened to us with the latest hurricane, we lost power for a few days. We are getting a whole house generator and should be installed sometime this month.

I sat on our back lanai and watched the storm. It is protected on the side the winds were coming in from. Once the winds shifted, I had to go back in.

The good thing about hurricanes, there is a LOT of warning. Granted the actual landing area can change at a moments notice, but you have Plenty of time to prepare. Putting up hurricane shutters is common sense.

We are in a new build (1 year old December) and the strict hurricane building codes makes it very safe to ride out a hurricane. If it was something like Andrew, I would probably leave the area until it passed (after putting up the shutters).

Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
The only thing that happened to us with the latest hurricane, we lost power for a few days. We are getting a whole house generator and should be installed sometime this month.

I sat on our back lanai and watched the storm. It is protected on the side the winds were coming in from. Once the winds shifted, I had to go back in.

The good thing about hurricanes, there is a LOT of warning. Granted the actual landing area can change at a moments notice, but you have Plenty of time to prepare. Putting up hurricane shutters is common sense.

We are in a new build (1 year old December) and the strict hurricane building codes makes it very safe to ride out a hurricane. If it was something like Andrew, I would probably leave the area until it passed (after putting up the shutters).

Yea, if I lived around that area, I would want a cement type block home with the best windows and roof I could get, with hurricane shutters and a generator built well off the ground, for starters; however, a lady that lives up here in Crownsville on the Severn River has a condo near Deerfield Beach FLA, said she only paid 80 K for it in a gated community, says its solid. She flies out of BWI after work on a Friday and is there in about two hours. I looked around OC MD and RB Delaware, would be cautious there too.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
The media has really placed fear and hyped up the storms for Florida. As it looks like you have seen. Someone from outside of Florida would believe Florida has been severely damaged by hurricanes or they need evacuate outside of the state if a storm is projected to hit Florida if they just watched the news. I have lived in Florida for just over 30 years and the only storm to do any serious damage was Hurricane Andrew back in 1992. Even that storm only seriously impacted Homestead and South Miami. The building codes since then have gotten much better therefore there is nothing you should worry about if you live in a home built with the new building codes and you make sure to shutter up if a storm threatens. With that said I have not seen insurance rates impacted because of last years storms. We were very fortunate to not receive much of any damage. Just fallen debris and some power outages for a couple of days in some areas.
LOL what?

There have been massive damaging hurricanes after Andrew.

My entire building was destroyed in 2004. The entire HOA had to be rebuilt for a year before people could move back in.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/45723261-post47.html

Even 82 people died in Irma with $50 Billion in damage.

I guess it's easy to make casual comments when throwing in the word "serious".

You mean complete destruction or it's not "serious"?

Hurricane Matthew...

Special report: Most contractors arrested after 2004 hurricanes only received probation, fines

http://interactive.sun-sentinel.com/2004storms/

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-24-2018 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-24-2018, 09:28 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:

Example: Video showing the media hype on storms
I would disagree with you on this. My sister lived in Vero Beach in 2004 and Frances took off part of her roof and dumped water inside. Three weeks later Jeanne ripped the tarps and caused more damage. She just salvaged whatever personal items she and her daughter could fit into two vehicles and left to live in Wisconsin. She never wanted to go through that again. I guess I would consider that serious.

Hurricane Charley came right over me in Altamonte Springs in 2004 and we had some of the highest winds ever recorded in Seminole County. Lots of trees down and homes damaged. Seemed serious to me. And what it did to the Punta Gorda area . . . . . .

Hurricanes were not the major reason we retired to Tennessee last year, but it was on the list. Granted we went years without being affected, but when it did happen it was not a fun time.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:03 AM

481 posts, read 760,328 times
When were those homes built? I am assuming it was prior to 2002 if outside of Miami Dade County and prior to 1994 if it was inside Miami Dade County.

In terms of building codes, "Florida took Andrew as a lesson learned".

Prior to Hurricane Andrew, building codes were not "rigorously enforced," because "that tended to slow down construction and raise costs."

"It changed –- forever -- building codes and especially building code enforcement, which Andrew proved to be inadequate, incompetent or avoidant" .

Two years after Andrew, the first post-Andrew version of the South Florida Building Code was published, and it focused on wind resistance and roof integrity, according to the Sun Sentinel. Improved roofing standards were among the first provisions, as well as impact-resistant windows or hurricane shutters on new buildings. In addition, cheaper materials like particle board were prohibited.

The first statewide building code took effect in 2002 and continues to serve as the basis of the state's building code, the Sun Sentinel reported. It superseded local codes, while also incorporating the stronger Borward and Miami-Dade County provisions.

http://www.sbafla.com/method/portals...flbldgcode.pdf

Old 02-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Seems like the giant elephant in the room every summer and fall, an impending doom that could take place, total disaster! That's a big lump in the throat with living in those parts, nice beaches and all though, very pretty.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
We at least know in advance when a hurricane is out there. We can prepare for it. Not like living in California with the mudslides and fires taking everything without notice, much less the earthquakes.

Not like the states with tornados wondering if your whole house or the area will be left or not

Of course, a disaster can happen anywhere, but people still live there. We don't live here thinking of the possibilities of a hurricane and it's possible damage. We live here because of all the other things that we enjoy.

Hurricane Ima did a lot of damage to a lot of areas. We were fortunate that it didn't do a lot here in this area. Before that the one that caused the most damage was Wilma in 2005. We got a double wammy that time. I remember it well.

Did I move? out of Jensen Beach, yes. Low area and direct path in from the ocean since hurricanes follow warm water. Hutchison Island is one place not to be when there is any threat from a hurricane. Sitting duck with very few exits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach