Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,165 times

Advertisements

Hello im new to these forums and was woundering if i could get some background on Port st lucie and some surrounding areas in Florida. I just moved here from MA and i was a plumbing, heating, and A/C tech. I got down to FL about two weeks ago and one of the places that said they were hiring werent hiring anymore or they just stopped. and they said work is up and down right now. so since i do A/C as well i went to apply at A/C places and they required EPA certification. which i just took the test yestarday. i went to apply at one of the only places i noticed that where hiring and they made me take some test for my application which wasnt really hard but i dont feel confident on the test i took so im gonna say 9 out of 10 there not gonna call me for the job.

I went to a couple of plumbing supply houses and they said its practically dead and i dont know if there just saying that because im from MA or what.

Is this area extremly slow right now?

ive notice on some online city info sites that it says this is the 2nd larges unemployment area of FL and if so is that true?

Do Florida folks frown apoun people from up north likeMA moving down to live and is harder for people from the north to get jobs?

any info would be great thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,035,845 times
The construction industry in Florida, and in particular, Port St. Lucie, is virtually dead. Jobs are extremely hard to come by and the competition for construction jobs-all jobs- is fierce.

It doesn't matter where you come from, there are just very few jobs around here right now.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 PM

545 posts, read 2,044,374 times
Im in the HVAC business in Illinois , and i would have thought getting a job would be a snap in that trade. Especially in major cities. Here in Illinois , HVAC companies cant find good Service Techs . And there arent the young men getting into the mechanical trades like they were 30 years ago.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times
Trust me man, it's NOT you, and anything to do with you being from Mass. I'm from Mass too(Northampton). It is really bad down here in Florida right now. 3 years ago you would have been hired in a minute and starting the next day. I have been EPA certified since 1995. I have been in apartment/building maintenance for that entire time. I went to Mass last fall until February this year, and since I came back here and the state is in such bad shape, there are NO jobs around here in the Fort Myers area(I live in Cape Coral). When there are jobs you have 100 people competing against you. They are gong to take the best of the people with the most experience. I have 13 years experience in HVAC, plumbing, electrical, pool certified, appliance repair, you name it. And there are NO jobs here whatsoever.... It's not you, don't feel that way. It's not like you are a yankee and no one wants to hire you here, guess what??? Most of the people in this state are yankees!!!

I may have to move to some crappy place like Orlando to get a job in my industry, but I really don't want to, Orlando sucks now. There are jobs in Tampa(no thanks), Miami(no way), Jacksonville(NO)... I don't like big cities, but that is where the jobs are. You are in a bad area for jobs like another poster said. I used to live near Port St Lucie in Vero Beach, I love it there, but NO jobs at all. You came here at a bad time. Where are you from in Mass?

To be honest, I really don't like it here anymore in FL. I am moving back to Mass. permanently, to freeze my arse off, at least there are jobs there. And they pay a whole lot more. Florida is not paradise to me anymore, it lost its luster... After nearly 14 years, most of my time here was ok, but now it's like a dark cloud has covered Florida.

Look in the Melbourne area above you, there are jobs there. Also look into apartment and building maintenance, you may get into that easier, especially with an EPA certification. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roullette View Post
Hello im new to these forums and was woundering if i could get some background on Port st lucie and some surrounding areas in Florida. I just moved here from MA and i was a plumbing, heating, and A/C tech. I got down to FL about two weeks ago and one of the places that said they were hiring werent hiring anymore or they just stopped. and they said work is up and down right now. so since i do A/C as well i went to apply at A/C places and they required EPA certification. which i just took the test yestarday. i went to apply at one of the only places i noticed that where hiring and they made me take some test for my application which wasnt really hard but i dont feel confident on the test i took so im gonna say 9 out of 10 there not gonna call me for the job.

I went to a couple of plumbing supply houses and they said its practically dead and i dont know if there just saying that because im from MA or what.

Is this area extremly slow right now?

ive notice on some online city info sites that it says this is the 2nd larges unemployment area of FL and if so is that true?

Do Florida folks frown apoun people from up north likeMA moving down to live and is harder for people from the north to get jobs?

any info would be great thanks

Old 06-12-2008, 06:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
A good place to check for skilled trade jobs in the treasure coast area is Craigslist:

classifieds - craigslist

A/C Service Tech (broken link)

Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,778,187 times
Just don't put your resume on Craigs, you will get TONS of spam, scam mail... I found out the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
A good place to check for skilled trade jobs in the treasure coast area is Craigslist:

classifieds - craigslist

A/C Service Tech (broken link)

Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 AM

I would consider craigslist better for searching out employers... I don't know if many employers look there for employee resumes.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 25,627 times
I'm moving to Port St lucie this winter. Family reasons. I currently live in a north chicago suburb and I'm a nurse and I assumed I'd have a pretty good chance at getting work, but after reading some posts on this site, i'm getting nervous.

Does anyone know how healthcare professions are doing there?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM

nfrommer, I think nurses are always in demand. I would suggest starting your job search now. A friend of mine in Jupiter, FL is a nurse and actually found work in PSL instead of Palm Beach County, and it's usually the other way around.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM

7 posts, read 25,627 times
I actually did start. I clicked the craigslist link suggested earlier and I found a mix of things. There were 4 or 5 posts looking for nurses, but then a few nurses looking for jobs. I'm going to definitely have to do my homework on this one.
I guess I always thought "nursing in FL" was a no brainer! I'd better get started.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach