Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 PM

265 posts, read 904,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
Well you can consider moving to Kentucky. Lots of places have damaging storms and high winds that do just as much if not more damage than Hurricanes. Just outside Pittsburgh they had 95mph wind gusts the other day.

The Hurricaines we experience in Florida go in cycles. We have active years and quiet years and even go more than a decade without a major storm. I bought a generator a couple of years ago and have not had to use it. PSL had a storm last summer that was not much different than the ones that go on up north but are not called Hurricanes. I think it is just the word that gets people. Your more likely to see a Tornado in the Midwest than you are a Hurricane in Florida. Building codes are addressing a lot of those concerns as well.
I agree Steve. After Wilma in 2005, we had our house hard wired into a HUGE generator and bought hurricane shutters. All has been just fine since then! Before 2004, we had not had a direct hit since David in 1977 or 78 - and that was a sissy storm.

I have friends thru Kent., Illinois and Ohio that just got hit really hard with the ice storms. Stuff happens everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,062 times
Wow, thank J.R. you helped a lot. We are looking into Brevard county. Didn't think the state or local would cover the bill. After this next stimulis bill, we will be on our own for sure Anyway, that is the reason for the questions. anymore insight you can give, please let us know. Its a plus.

We love Kentucky!! When go on our motorcycles we usually end up in Kentucky. Bardstown. The bourbon trail. We don't drink it, but its so cool to visit the places. Maker's Mark is awesome. But, Kentucky is a commonwealth. Just like PA. We live in PA practially for ever. They tax you up the ... I understand taxes are high everywhere.

thank you all for your help. anymore info is appreciated.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
Wow, thank J.R. you helped a lot. We are looking into Brevard county. Didn't think the state or local would cover the bill. After this next stimulis bill, we will be on our own for sure Anyway, that is the reason for the questions. anymore insight you can give, please let us know. Its a plus.

We love Kentucky!! When go on our motorcycles we usually end up in Kentucky. Bardstown. The bourbon trail. We don't drink it, but its so cool to visit the places. Maker's Mark is awesome. But, Kentucky is a commonwealth. Just like PA. We live in PA practially for ever. They tax you up the ... I understand taxes are high everywhere.

thank you all for your help. anymore info is appreciated.
Good luck. I think Brevard County is nice. Very centrally located without being in the middle of too much "city". I ride my horse up that way frequently. No too far from Mickey Mouse and a major teaching hospital and right on the water. You also have the port for cruising out and the Space Center. I think you will like it there.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:51 AM

thanks. we can't wait to start the next chapter of our lives. My husband will be in the area the month of March. It will give hime time to look at some areas and homes. Then when I arrive at the end of March we plan on touring the areas that are of interest.

Keep it warm for us and the sun shining bright.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Ever wonder why NASA built on the cape? Certainly Hurricanes were considered ...

Old 02-15-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Ever wonder why NASA built on the cape? Certainly Hurricanes were considered ...
Good question! I think it was all very political. That facility was built as part of the John F. Kennedy "We will put a man on the moon" presidential race platform. I am sure there was significant "behind closed doors" dealing about where the facility should be built.

However, have you noticed, that even with the extraordinary storm activity of 2004, the space center received very little damage with relation to the the size of the facility? That place must be built like a bomb shelter!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Good question! I think it was all very political. That facility was built as part of the John F. Kennedy "We will put a man on the moon" presidential race platform. I am sure there was significant "behind closed doors" dealing about where the facility should be built.

However, have you noticed, that even with the extraordinary storm activity of 2004, the space center received very little damage with relation to the the size of the facility? That place must be built like a bomb shelter!

Do you think they have a home for sale on sight Imagine what our homeowners insurance would be Talk about some awesome views though. Oh, well it was a thought guess we will keep on looking.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
If you have the means the best insurance against hurricanes is a hurricane proof house like these:

Monolithic Dome Institute
http://www.domesintl.com/http://www.domesintl.com/ (broken link)
Cal-Earth - (The California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture)
Domes from American Ingenuity - Home
International Dome House

Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
If you have the means the best insurance against hurricanes is a hurricane proof house like these:

Monolithic Dome Institute
http://www.domesintl.com/http://www.domesintl.com/ (broken link)
Cal-Earth - (The California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture)
Domes from American Ingenuity - Home
International Dome House
Those are so cool!! Someone down the street from my farm in western Ft. Pierce has built a dome house. It is very interesting. I would love to see the inside.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 14,564 times
Default The Good things

I live in East Tennessee. I will be heading to south Florida in two months to live. I am going to get in my car and head south until Ain't Skeeeerd, Ya'll, and fixin ta is not in the vocabulary. Bugs love um Heat and humidity is good for the skin, Hurricanes give you a chance to change the decor every decade or so. Crazy drivers make me feel right at home. Low paying jobs look at the data from Knoxville, Tn. and then complain about low wages in Florida. Hurricanes are a part of life on the ocean unless you are rich and can afford to live somewhere like Southern Cal. The best defense is a good offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach