Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:26 PM

73 posts, read 114,521 times

Advertisements

Referencing the link above, yes, legal marijuana is just exactly what I look for in my family friendly neighborhoods! The article sounded fine until I got to that point, and again, the schools.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 PM

177 posts, read 408,241 times
Ahhh, you went to Scratch in Willard Beach... I really don't like that place. I'm a New Yorker and those aren't bagels. If you called it nice bread, I would agree with you. But bagels? No. And what really gets me is that they are sometimes sold out by like 9am.

If you want good pastries and whoopie pies, go to The Cookie Jar in Cape Elizabeth.

South Portland has some eye sores, for sure. But great people and super welcoming. I think it's great. And so easy to walk into Portland, or to the beach. Small school is raved about.

I had to let go and realize that while Portland looks like a city and often feels busy, it's really not. 60k people, right? Something like that. Knowing that I can't buy groceries online, can't get delivery past 9pm, no cheap street food, no affordable and fast dry cleaners, no amenities that I'm used to. I had to give up the concept of letting my kids grow in a cultural mecca filled with both the most cutting edge and the most historic art and music.

I see my daughter run around for hours every day in the woods with her friends, breathing clean air and drinking fresh water and I know that I'm giving her a childhood that is truly free. No strollers or leashes, just memories and lifelong friends. An actual real world education. And I've made some wonderful, deep friendships. No competition, just caring. I can go more in depth, but not in a public forum. You can pm me, if you want.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:04 PM

Ha! I actually thought the bagels at Scratch were more like a nice pizza crust, but of course NOT a New York style pizza, that is totally a diffferent kind of yummy! After having lived in Texas, where I had to drive 30 miles just to even GET a bagel, I was not about to complain, though, I was just happy there WERE bagels! (And, pizza is awful in Texas too......) It is funny the things you miss when you move, but as a native CT person. moving to Houston was traumatic, which is perhaps why I am so "scared" to move to Maine. Pizza, bagels, trees, lakes, and mountains were among the biggest things I missed, and there is no way I could have anticipated that. Jeneric, your post about made me cry, because I really feel like I do have the best of both worlds you describe. I don't use dry cleaning, but I can have bi-weekly pickup and drop off at my home if I want. I don't usually order food for delivery past 9, but due to my proximity to several colleges, I could. I have occasionally, after giving birth, or having surgery, or in a snowstorm, ordered groceries online. Yesterday we played for hours in natural waterfalls. Today we picked strawberries at a farm which has been owned by the same family since 1666, 3 miles from our house, then we went and ate local ice cream, at a school fundraiser where my kids sat with their friends.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM

I actually did see you can order groceries online at Hannaford's in Yarmouth. Maybe due to summer business?

Old 08-01-2015, 03:48 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
My brother-in-lsw had a job at the general store back in the 1950s. The store had one truck to do everything the store needed. It was a one ton International with helper springs and it had a very stiff ride when lightly loaded. The general store delivered groceries to camps on the lake. One day as he was driving in on a camp road over rocks and tree roots the lady was waiting for him on the porch.

"Last time you delivered, some of the eggs were broken."

He looked back at the rocks, roots and stumps along the narrow driveway and said, "Leddy, We put them eggs on the bottom so when they break they won't run down over the rest of your groceries."

The lady was still gasping in horror when he drove the International back up the hill.

Hey, You can't make this stuff up.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
If im right, you hate suburbs, you hate citys, but want to be near a city. Why not check bangor, its much smaller, or why not caribou/presque, its even smaller.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks1976 View Post
Moderator cut: political rant removed
Oh hell, Minnesota had Jesse Ventura.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-03-2015 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: political rant removed

Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM

171 posts, read 197,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks1976 View Post
Moderator cut: political rant removed
You're absolutely wrong.

The results of the 2014 election were: LePage - 48.2%, Michaud - 43.3%, and Cutler - 8.4%. I don't know where you went to school, but 8.4% is more than enough to cover the 4.9% point spread between LePage and Michaud. Cutler captured Democratic votes and forced a LePage win by default. The fact that you call those who didn't vote for LePage "*******s" speaks volumes for your personality and political acumen. The fact is that a clear majority of Mainers rejected LePage's policies.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-03-2015 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: political rant removed

Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
You're absolutely wrong.

The results of the 2014 election were: LePage - 48.2%, Michaud - 43.3%, and Cutler - 8.4%. I don't know where you went to school, but 8.4% is more than enough to cover the 4.9% point spread between LePage and Michaud. Cutler captured Democratic votes and forced a LePage win by default. The fact that you call those who didn't vote for LePage "*******s" speaks volumes for your personality and political acumen. The fact is that a clear majority of Mainers rejected LePage's policies.
Not true. Exit polls indicated that not enough of Cutler voters would have voted for Michaud had it been a two way race, for it to have overcome Michaud's 5 point deficit. Would have been closer, but probably not enough...

More lies from the leftist media.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The results of the 2014 election were: LePage - 48.2%, Michaud - 43.3%, and Cutler - 8.4%

"Figures lie and liars figure."

The fact remains that Paul LePage got more votes for governor in the last election than any other Maine gubernatorial candidate EVER. Maine people love him. Of course there is a noisy opposition trying to distract the people from his accomplishments and existing goals. Unlike the Republican legislators, Democrat legislators do not like being in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area