Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:43 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
That's for sure! But, so too do the school ratings and variety of amenities. Too bad you can't get a Portland lifestyle for Dover prices- I'd be there in a heartbeat
I have lived in many different places. One observation in my travels, has been that areas with high paying jobs, have a higher COL and higher taxes. With the higher taxes, the municipalities can provide: better roads, more cops, nicer libraries, nicer city parks, convert venues, etc.

If you are willing to pay 70% of your gross income to taxes, then the government can provide everyone with free education, free medical care, mass transit, subsidized housing, subsidized food and fuel.

I owned a home once that was subsidized with over half of my monthly mortgage payment paid by the Crown. Had I been a citizen there, I would have had to pay their level of taxes, to support all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM

46 posts, read 53,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The low crime rate.

The forests, rivers, lakes, and over 10,000 miles of trails.

The coast with over 3.000 miles of shore line.

The outdoor activities of skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, sledding, boating, swimming, geo-caching, camping, mushroom foraging, fiddleheads, ...

The low home prices.

The superior environment for raising children.

A major part of Maine's economy is tourism. Folks from all over Southern New England and even NY all come to Maine to enjoy these wonderful things that we have [Before they return to their high crime, cities, and high prices]

You also missed this: The sheer beauty of Maine. I don't care about living in a city full of excitement every day. I visited Maine one summer and fell in love with its rocky coastline, lovely weather, the tranquility, beautiful scenery, and peacefulness. I wish I could retire there but most of my family is moving to good ol' PA, which I have mixed feelings about. And I am a New Yorker, born and bred, and living in NJ for most of my life. This state, needless to say, is unaffordable for me and as soon as I am able to, I will retire away from it (and Christie!) Having visited Maine that one summer in York, and driven through the state 4 times, makes me want to visit more often.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:06 PM

73 posts, read 114,643 times
Amy, I was just in Maine for 4 days, and I am sure this is going to raise a lot of Cain, but I find Maine to probably be the least blessed of all the New England states in terms of natural beauty. Sorry, just my opinion, different strokes for different folks, but I prefer mountains, fresh water, and forests, personally. Rhode Island ocean is much more attractive than Maine's in my opinion, as is Cape Cod. And, visiting a place a few times and being wistful about moving there, and actually having to move there are two different animals.

I don't really view the ocean as an asset to Portland that is worth paying for. Since it is so cold, one can rarely swim in it. Many beaches I read on this very forum don't have lifeguards or changing facilities, and it is not offensive to look at by any means, but it also is not breathtakingly beautiful either, it is just kind of there.

To the person who spoke about the Bloods and the Crips. You are so ignorant. This is not 80s/90s Los Angeles. I feel safe in Hartford, and I am sure you all would be surprised to learn that West Hartford is its own city, and has a population very similar in size to that of Portland.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Also, Submariner, Farmers Market produce is really expensive! I belong to a farm share, and I feel good about what I am doing, but I don't necessarily think the quality is any better, and it costs a lot more (2-3x more), and I end up with stuff that I have to go buy more stuff at the grocery store just to do anything with. I usually only go to Farmers' Markets to look around. We have them all over the place here too, several times a week in many locations.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:29 PM

171 posts, read 197,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesforever View Post
Amy, I was just in Maine for 4 days, and I am sure this is going to raise a lot of Cain, but I find Maine to probably be the least blessed of all the New England states in terms of natural beauty. Sorry, just my opinion, different strokes for different folks, but I prefer mountains, fresh water, and forests, personally. Rhode Island ocean is much more attractive than Maine's in my opinion, as is Cape Cod. And, visiting a place a few times and being wistful about moving there, and actually having to move there are two different animals.
Are you sure you've even been to Maine?! I mean, the Maine that exists beyond Portland? Or even that which exists south of Portland? Yeah, mountains, fresh water, and forests sure are in limited supply. Are you for real??

I had given you the benefit of the doubt before because it seemed like you were really struggling with the fact that your family was going to be forced to move somewhere you weren't looking forward to living, and I'm sympathetic to that, but this has gotten ridiculous. Maine people have made their livings in the mountains, fresh water, and forests for generations and your assertion that Maine is the "least blessed" in this area is both ill-informed and laughable. Yes, "different strokes..." and all that jazz, but you seem hell-bent on only seeing the worst parts and incapable of recognizing the good and proselytizing this narrow and unqualified view.

You don't like Maine- that's fine. But, there's no reason to be nasty about it. And, there's very little difference between the coastlines of Maine, MA, and RI so you sound pretty silly. So, just stop.

Quote:
I don't really view the ocean as an asset to Portland that is worth paying for.
Hundreds of thousands of tourists that come here every year for the state's natural beauty would disagree, as would the thousands of people from CT, NY, NJ, RI, and MA who buy up coastal property in Maine as fast as it becomes available.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Also, Submariner, Farmers Market produce is really expensive! I belong to a farm share, and I feel good about what I am doing, but I don't necessarily think the quality is any better, and it costs a lot more (2-3x more), and I end up with stuff that I have to go buy more stuff at the grocery store just to do anything with. I usually only go to Farmers' Markets to look around. We have them all over the place here too, several times a week in many locations.
There are farm shares in Maine. We have electricity, too!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:38 PM

Sorry, I am just saying I was underwhelmed by Falmouth.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:49 PM

Actually, EMK99, the differences are HUGE between beaches in Maine and Rhode Island, and I am sorry you are so hypersensitive. I am wondering why that is so. I don't think I am being nasty at all. I am only interested in the areas where I and my family would live our lives, and I am not saying it is bad in any way shape or form, just that it is dull, and not much to get excited about, and very expensive. To me, Southern Maine looks very flat, and like it has a lot of scrubby pines and estuaries, and a golf-course like topography. People on this board are acting as if it is all that, and to me, it is ok, but a bit disappointing. It's not like Ferry Village is Marblehead or anything.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, EMK99, the differences are HUGE between beaches in Maine and Rhode Island, and I am sorry you are so hypersensitive. I am wondering why that is so. I don't think I am being nasty at all.
You are being nasty, and you've been called out on it several times. You're painting Maine with a broad brush after visiting one particular area. The fact that you think there are "HUGE" differences shows just how little of Maine you know.

Quote:
To me, Southern Maine looks very flat, and like it has a lot of scrubby pines and estuaries, and a golf-course like topography. People on this board are acting as if it is all that, and to me, it is ok, but a bit disappointing. It's not like Ferry Village is Marblehead or anything.
Again, this shows how little you know about Maine. You know the Appalachian Trail ends here, right? Quote from link: "Most of the Appalachian Trail in Maine is not recommended for novice hikers; Maine's 281 miles are generally considered the most difficult of all fourteen states. Even the strongest hikers may average only one mile an hour in some parts. Other parts require grabbing onto tree roots and limbs to climb or descend, and are especially slippery and hazardous in wet weather...Lakes, streams, and bogs abound."

You don't know jack about Maine.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:22 PM

266 posts, read 286,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmK999 View Post
There are farm shares in Maine. We have electricity, too!
I inquired with one of the farms at the farmer's market here last year about farm shares, and it was "give us $100 for $110 of credit at the market", I passed on it and am going to look a little further afield for next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area