Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I forgot a couple... beaver and fox! Although I guess most people would TRAP beaver. I wonder if there are that many trappers left? Anyone know?
There is a guy that runs a trap line around here. I have seen his trap markers in the woods while hunting deer. I guess he concentrates on 'coon, muskrat and beaver by where he sets up. There is also a couple of guys that trap for municipalities. You call the amimal control people in your town for a skunk or beaver screwing up your stream or eating your poplars and they call these guys to come trap it out. They caught two big beavers just down the road from here last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
I wonder what pelts go for nowadays. I can't imagine there's much of a market for them in this day and age. I also wonder if there are any coon hunters left? Back in the day - 25 yrs ago- Bowdoin and Litchfield were full of them. Everyone including myself, owned Blue Ticks and made a pretty decent living hunting them. About 3 years ago I did see a truck in Brunswick with a strike cage mounted on it. I guess there must still be a few out there.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,427,643 times
They're only getting $20 for coyote. The bigger trappers wait till the end of the season and send their pelts to Canada, where the furs are auctioned, most going to Russia or China.
Fisher cats are sparse this year, due to the lack of mature softwood stands.
They have a radius of 20 miles but will move to find food which includes mice and squirrels. Cats don't reproduce until the age of 2 and usually have only one kit.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
They're only getting $20 for coyote. The bigger trappers wait till the end of the season and send their pelts to Canada, where the furs are auctioned, most going to Russia or China.
Fisher cats are sparse this year, due to the lack of mature softwood stands.
They have a radius of 20 miles but will move to find food which includes mice and squirrels. Cats don't reproduce until the age of 2 and usually have only one kit.

Oh...Russia and China make sense. I guess they aren't as anti-fur there. Is there a large population of trappers in your area? I wasn't aware that cats were trapped. Our dogs were trained to run coon, cat or bear. Occasionally they would strike on a fox which resulted in us reprimanding them. Are there any coon hunters that hunt with strike cages in your area? Just wondering if that had gone by the wayside. We had some amazing nights back then. We bought a Grand Night Champion out of Kentucky, he was top of the line. Best in our area, we out-hunted everyone in our area. I think our best night resulted in almost 40 coon. Again, 25 yrs ago. Back then hides were going anywhere from $30 - $60 for the nice ones. Not a bad nights pay. Working the graveyard shift and sleeping during the day.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default 2007 article on trapping

Hot market for Maine pelts (http://business.mainetoday.com/news/070211pelts.html - broken link)

Want to lose weight, run a small trapline. It be hard work.

Friends in Bangor had 2 moose visits in their backyard. Live 3 blocks from Eastern Maine Med Center.

Saw a fox carrying a rabbit alongside 1-95 near Sydney. Coyote sitting up on cliffs along the same road. Eagle and osprey nests in the median near mile marker 148. Hard to believe there are moose in Maine but I keep getting photos of large gatherings of moose up near Caribou. Figure the photos are 'photo shopped'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area