Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 PM

210 posts, read 498,766 times

Advertisements

Hello citizens of Maine. My friend is moving to Portland, ME and we were wondering how to find a house for her with natural gas (not oil) heating? Is it special part of Maine, which could be converted to gas bc gas lines? Could someone tell us where the majority of homes with gas and how much it cost to convert the house to gas?

Does anyone build new homes around Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Most natural gas is in portland. I don't know the costs but some other members will.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
Hello Swede and welcome to the forum. As lrfox has explained much of Portland does have gas at the street and other areas have bottled (propane) gas available to give you the ability to heat and cook with gas. A real estate agent can set up a search for your friend with houses in her price range that are heated with gas and not oil. Yes, there is still new construction in the Greater Portland area, just not as much as the first part of the decade.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
There are plenty of homes in Portland that do use natural gas to heat, but I would say that the majority are still on heating oil.

I have never used heating oil in my life, but from what I hear from others it sounds as though it is not that much more than natural gas as the price for natural gas doubles and sometimes triples over the winter. I have seen natural gas bills close to $400 for one month (in Minneapolis).

The advantage to natural gas is that by law the utility company cannot shut off service due to non-payment durning the winter months. Heating oil will not be delivered to your home if you do not have the money regardless of how cold it is outside. Natural gas also has the option of a payment plan.

Another thing to look for in Portland is an apartment in which the heat is paid by the landlord.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM

11 posts, read 29,506 times
We live in Portland and now have oil. We plan to convert to Natural Gas. The local utility will install the gas line free of charge to your house - up to 25 feet - from the main line on the street.

So, even if the house of your dreams has oil, it may be possible to switch fairly easily to gas.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,111 times
I have a client who purchased a home in South Portland on 10/15/08 who wants to convert from oil to gas, but it was too late in the season for the gas company to do the work until the spring. I have another client building in Gorham who is putting in an oil furnace that can be easily converted to natural gas/propane so there are options out there.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,527 times
I currently have natural gas for my apartment on Congress St. It is actually more expensive this year (so far) than when I had oil heat at my previous places (both Maine and NH). The NG is used for heat, hot water, and my stove. It could be simply that my apartment isn't as well insulated as ones I've had in the past. NG is nice in that you don't need it delivered, but you can't shop around for the cheapest price either as with oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area